back to article Google purchases petite pollster Polar, purloined ppl punted Plus-wards

Google will gobble up Polar, a business that specializes in polling software for phones and things. The upstart announced on its website that it had agreed to shut itself down and join the Chocolate Factory's Google+ team. Polar's tools help websites and app-makers manage polls to be shown on desktop computers, tablets and …

1. KjetilS

For a second I thought it was the maker of exercise watches...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Social online polling? what could possibly go wrong?

like this:

GCHQ JTRIG Human Operations “Joint Threat Research Intelligence Group” (50 slides)

from: https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.documentcloud.org/documents/1021430/pages/the-art-of-deception-training-for-a-new-p1-large.gif

deals with Online HUMINT (Human Intelligence) and Strategic Influence (lying!)

then we come to GCHQ JTRIG Agent TOOLS (8 slides)

from: https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.documentcloud.org/documents/1217406/pages/jtrigall-p1-large.gif

(to p8-large.gif) deals with

Page 4 SYLVESTER is a framework for automated interaction/alias management on online social networks

Page 5 BOMB BAY is the capability to increase website hits/rankings

Page 5 GESTATOR is the ability to amplify a given message, normally video, e.g. on YouTube

Page 6 UNDERPASS change outcome of online polls

Page 8 CHANGELING ability to spoof any email address & send mail from under that identity

Page 8 HAVOK real time website cloning technique allowing on-the-fly alterations

which is all nice and dandy, antiterrorizm, what-have-you, comply with local laws - yadda yadda, Yes Minister...

then we come to a single example from Friday, September 05, 2014

the pop-group “The Libations” just released a food-bank charity song on iTunes and their supporting YouTube video called “CALEDONIA” (Scotland in Latin)

according to http://munguinsrepublic.blogspot.it/2014/09/you-really-have-to-wonder-at-actions-of.html

Martin from the Libations has just emailed me. It appears that the Youtube video of Caledonia was hacked causing all sorts of problems.

Here is what he says about it on the Facebook page:

"On Monday, the day after we made it into the Scottish top 40, The Libations appear to have come under a malicious cyber attack by an unknown party. Our Facebook page was suddenly beset by around 1000 mysterious new followers from around the world and simultaneously our YouTube video was swamped with views from a bot attack breaching youtube rules, causing Youtube to automatically remove the video breaking all links on media and social networks and resetting views and comments.

"This appears to have been a sophisticated effort to remove our video and prevent Caledonia being seen and shared. The mind boggles!

"We have appealed to youtube and await the video being restored - they were just following standard procedure to prevent synthetic boost of viewing figures and were therefore as much a victim of this attack as us.

"We're hurt and frankly a bit frightened by this episode so we simply want to put it behind us.”

1. TeeCee Gold badge
        WTF?

Re: Social online polling? what could possibly go wrong?

Next week: How to prove the existence of the Bavarian Illuminati by studying soft cheeses.

2. thomas k.

youtube?

Youtube is considered a 'social network' site? I thought it was an ad delivery network (with some content thrown in to make us not notice the ads).

1. dotdavid

Re: youtube?

Er, doesn't that description apply to most social notworks?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I see this forum wasn't listed, either

1. Britt Johnston
          Alien

There is a second poll on the next page for antisocial network sites...you didn't find it?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Ah crap, I missed that - I was too quick to hit the forum and bitch about it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like