back to article Boffins: Behold the SILICON CHEAPNESS of our tiny, radio-signal-munching IoT sensor

Electronics boffins at Stanford University are putting their mark on the Internet of Things by way of a tiny radio-plus-computer that uses scavenged radio signals for its power. Instead of shrinking discrete components and patching them together, the Stanford team set out to create a single silicon component that integrates …

1. Paul Kinsler

and best of all ...

... attach them to a bit of fluff - a la dandelion seeds - and you really could do cloud computing!

1. tony2heads

Re: and best of all ...

Ant size is a bit vague. Some African Driver ant queens get large (more than 2 inches).

By the way - don't mess with an army of them, They are called Driver as everything has to get out of their way.

1. Stoneshop

Ant size is a bit vague.

We need a Register Standard Ant.

(3.904976e-05 brontosaurus?)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"We need a Register Standard Ant."

That would imply a Register Standard Uncle too!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

... that we got to read about. Somebody screwed up and didn't get this classified quick enough.

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

"Somebody screwed up and didn't get this classified quick enough."

Do you mean something like, the NSA and GCHQ has ordered 15 billion "demonstration units" with specific modifications installed?

3. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

"...all using the power it receives via radio waves..."

The electronic toll pass stuck to my car's windshield contains no battery. It is powered up by the high power, cancer-scare microwave beam aimed down into the car (towards my genitalia) as I drive through the toll at Mach 0.3.

It's no real challenge to power up electronics by remote RF power delivery. Crazy old Nik Tesla was working on this exact topic more than one hundred years ago. The high power RF didn't affect his mind in the slightest.

The magnitude of the accomplishment in inversely dependent on the field strength.

1. Ian Michael Gumby
        Big Brother

@Jeffy Pooh Re: "...all using the power it receives via radio waves..."

The RFID tag in your car's toll pass is not only a tad larger, but works via NFC.

These devices, while getting power via a radio signal, and can transmit via radio signal... albeit a short distance, doesn't require a large NFC field around the device.

Want to get paranoid... put these in to clothing. (shoes, jackets, whatever....) You walk around... they will know who you are, and will be able to track you without you knowing it.

2. Bush_rat

The real question...

Will it run Crysis?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Re: The real question...

Why not call them and ask?

3. AnoniMouse

Everything except ...

"... a single silicon component that integrates everything needed to connect a sensor: computing, a communication stack, a radio and an antenna" - BUT NO SECURITY. Be very afraid!

1. Martin Budden Silver badge

Re: Everything except ...

Not everything in this world needs to be secure.

1. razorfishsl

Yep since it is so small you can go for the ' security due to obscurity'

2. Ian Michael Gumby
      Black Helicopters

Security is relative.

Think of this as a good way to be an intelligent bug.

It could lie 'dormant'... meaning it doesn't emit a signal ... unless it receives a correct encoded message, then it will respond.

So you could scan your clothing all day long, but unless while you're scanning, the chip happens to get the right hash tag... you'll never see a peep from it.

4. Pete 2 Silver badge

Other days, other eyes

Oh whoop-de-doo! Bob Shaw's prediction comes one step closer.

Here we have a completely inert device, that is indetectably small and cheap enough to produce by the billion. Let's just wait for a version with a MEMS microphone (I suppose a camera is too much to ask for?) and you have the perfect bug. Better yet, it can be remain in its inert state for years, until needed.

It can be spread around like fairy dust, it won't transmit until it's illuminated by an RF feed and even if your bug-hunter discovers one - or ten - or a thousand in a room, it's a fair bet there will be many more not found. Even if "they" get them all, a couple of minutes will see a whole new batch introduced through the air-conditioning system. Or accidentally carried in on the clothes of people entering the room.

1. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

Re: Other days, other eyes

If that becomes a problem, then there are solutions. Using a portable RF source, pulsing output, integrated with a wideband receiver with a correlation system. Walk around illuminating various hiding spots, home in on one such bug using this. Put the device over the hiding spot and pull The Trigger of Death to impart a huge EM pulse. Check to make sure it's dead. Move to the next one.

5. Caff

grid

Could millions of them be spread to create a relay style internet?

spread them over NK, can't stop the signal

6. ken jay

next we will be fined for carrying a lightbulb home and not plugging it into a socket fast enough or they attach to laptops fridges hoovers and work out its been reliable for 366 days then the item its attached to breaks and a salesman is at your door with a £50.00 fix or a £300 pounds replacement.

now my ideas are starting to sound orwellian in the 2014`s

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Light bulbs

It'd make me wary of all the bulbs that are delivered in the post by the energy companies ... maybe it's time to stockpile some of the better ones now!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Simple thing would be the NSA, I mean a farmer, could use this to track their people, I mean sheeples, oh, um, I mean sheep.....

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Your "farmer" already has all the sheeple-tracking tech he needs. All the sheeple are carrying this thing called a smartphone, that continually broadcasts its position.

All the farmer needs is to know which signal corresponds to which sheeple.

9. Nigel 11

Another SFplot element coming to reality

Queng Ho Localizers, here we come.

I first read Vernor Vinge's "A deepness in the sky" shortly after it was published, and this was the plot element I found hardest to believe in. And now, it's looking not just plausible, but achievable in the next decade or two.

Which should scare us. In the book, ubiquitous surveillance was described as the fastest way to kill a civilisation, and that's something which I found was not the least bit hard to believe in.

(Book strongly recommended to anyone who hasn't yet read it.)

1. Tom_

Re: Another SFplot element coming to reality

It really is a fantastic book.

But they need to squidge these down smaller and make them work as cameras too. Did they not also stick them to the side of their noggin where they could squirt signals straight into the optic nerve?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Another SFplot element coming to reality

Subverted when those ubiquitous surveillance devices contains back doors that their users don't know about. Can only hope Stanford are that foresightful...

10. Draco
    Trollface

How long until the lawsuits?

Clearly slurping someone's RF to power your device is theft.

We need to nip this in the bud and impose minimum mandatory sentencing. I propose we start at 20 years.

1. gazthejourno (Written by Reg staff)

Re: How long until the lawsuits?

Strangely enough, "abstracting electricity" is a criminal offence in England and Wales. http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/sentencing_manual/abstracting_electricity/

1. Dan Paul

Re: How long until the lawsuits?

So that makes EOcean sensors that "harvest" RF signals for power illegal?

11. AndrueC Silver badge
    Big Brother

Sounds like the localizers proposed in A Deepness in the Sky - one of Vernor Vinge's best novels.

1. VinceH

A few recommendations in one thread... now added to my Amazon wishlist. (No point buying yet given the number of unread books I have lying around here and in my Kindle app!)

1. AndrueC Silver badge
        Thumb Up

And while you're at it don't forget the 'sequel' A Fire Upon the Deep. Possibly his best novel (IMO). Both novels do a great job of conveying the sheer size of the galaxy. The final 'chapter' of A Fire.. is haunting.

I'll also recommend the novel Outcasts of Heaven Belt written by his ex-wife. That's a lot shorter and less weighty tome but it does a good job of conveying what life is like in a fallen (or falling at least) advanced civilisation.

12. Mr C

Is Standfords site carrying malware?

Related, yet unrelated, going to Stanford's link they put in the article prompts my AV to show me a "infection blocked" message.

Details tell me its a png image on that site that is the culprit.

Anyone else got this, or is it a false positive ?

Using Avast.

1. channel extended

Re: Is Standfords site carrying malware?

The png seems OK to me. nothing active anyway. Surely you don't have auto run png's? Or Windows?

13. frank ly

What happens if they get together ....

... and turn into an e-dust assassin. That could be the end of _our_ culture.

14. tempemeaty
    Big Brother

Wow...another upgrade in ability to chip and track all us wild animals...

Now you can tell friends, "hey look, we can now stuff a wi-fi capable computer up a ants bum!" XD

15. Aslan

An amazing technical achievement and a nightmare

With all the security issue is everything the past few years, and the fact that I don't care to be surveiled all the time these things are a nightmare that will only get worse. I'm sure some good will come of them, and there's no doubt they were inevitable, but that doesn't mean I have to like them.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like