back to article iPhone 6, Watch: Hate it or really hate it, Apple's now a $604.77bn biz

As Apple unveiled its iPhone 6 and "the Watch" on Tuesday, its stock price went on a rollercoaster ride to $102.92 a share, then plummeted to $96.71, and now – after just one day of trading – it has settled on $101. That means, on Wednesday, Apple closed trading up $3.01 on the start of the day, a gain of 3.07 per cent. It was …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Buy? Really? Anyone with half a brain has had their money in 0992 for some time now.

2. Mikel

They will sell a lot of phones. I can guarantee that.

3. eSeM

Fools and their money .....

4. Joe 48

Shut up already

Come on Elreg. Almost every other article is about the bloody iPhone/iWatch. Enough already!

1. johnnymotel

Re: Shut up already

Yeah man, all this negative prose is clearly hurting share prices and sales, not.

2. Neill Mitchell

Yes, fed up with iWatch news going on and on endlessly. Let's talk about the Scottish referendum instead ;)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I want to know why the English don't get a vote?

1. Joe 48

Or the Scottish, if they don't live in Scotland.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Well, presumably, the only way to differentiate the scots was via residence. I suppose they could have made everyone read "Its a bright moonlit night tonight" and made an aural judgement, but that might have been a tad tedious.

The English on the other hand, are pretty well defined, though separating the minorities like the Welsh and Northern Oirish by mechanisms other than dialect would also be a problem.

OK. I will rephrase.

Why doesn't everyone in the United Kingdom get a vote?

Oh, are they trying to detach from Great Britain or from the United Kingdom or both?

I am starting to get confused. I think my point was that perhaps the rest of the residents of "not Scotland" would like a say in jettisoning them.

I need a coffee now

1. captain veg Silver badge

> Why doesn't everyone in the United Kingdom get a vote?

Possibly for the same reason that Dave's putative EU referendum won't be open to the French, Germans, Luxembourgers etc.

-A.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

... or the Scots?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

This is sort of crap we expect of the not-so-independent BBC, giving free publicity to Apple continuously.

5. Financegozu
    WTF?

I thought Apple is DOOMED?!?

How come ....?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wall street

The dumb & idiotic , bloody stockbrokers have nowhere better to park their money.

So they all latch onto this tat outfit.

Herd mentality, anyone? Sheeples?

Its still a fucking 4.7 inch phone which Droids have had for eons.

Blame the bankers.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wall street

80% of all smartphones run android. Sorry to say, but you are part of the herd. You sound idiotic saying that the owners of the 11% that make up iPhones are 'sheeple'.

1 in ten goes one way, 8 in 10 the other. I'm sure even you can see the error in your reasoning now.

Sheeple - hilarious word by the way, I hope you didn't copy it.

Oh, and it's called a flock.

1. phil dude
        Coat

That's a tad unfair , AC.

Android users buy the phones because they are diverse: cheap, powerful, switchable batteries, waterproof etc.. The problem they have is the phone networks think they write code better than google (they don't ) and the awful "skins" are the result.

Apple users buy Apple products because they are made by Apple.

Beautiful kit for sold for as much as the market will bear.

P.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

OK OK . You and your semantics.

A flock of sheeple, then?

OMG.

Apple have invented a watch. WTF ? St. Jobs has stirred in his grave. And its 4.7 inches. Sacrilege.

3. g e

Flock?

I suspect the collective noun for 'Sheeple' would be 'Demographic'

7. viscount
    Stop

Is the Register gradually turning into ClickHole?

8. Ben S

The fandroid doth protest too much, methinks!

It always amuses me how Fandroids bang on relentlessly about "tech specs" of their phones in a desperate bid to justify their phone purchase decision.

The success of Apple, and the brand allegience is down to a mix of a fantasic app / music ecosystem and a comparively simple, enjoyable and accessible user experience. It's not always about how many mega pixels your camera has, hopefully it's about enjoying a picture with your friends!

But, most importantly, it's great there are a few brilliant companies driving each other to produce fantastic consumer technology for us to all enjoy.

They are all amazing solutions, nobody is wrong. It's not like you purchased a French car now, it it?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The fandroid doth protest too much, methinks!

And Fanbois spend their time saying "look, it's expensive and can't do as much as Android. But owning an Apple device means you've got a load more friends! That's worth the extra money... buying friends is normal, right?"

When the iPhone brand was new and shiny, of course, it /was/ about how many megapixels you had.

2. Paul Shirley

That 'simple' ui is most of what puts me off ios, simple to the point I don't find it 'pleasant'. Win8 is similarly afflicted (along with some misguided android skins).

... And the quality of the camera will be the major decider on my next phone along with its gaming credentials because that's about all I've used my smartphone for!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Shirly you can't be serious?

Buying a smartphone for the camera and gaming seems pointless. There are better cameras and better gaming devices available. Avail yourself of one of those.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The success of the iPhone is in significant part due to Apple agreements with the US telecom carriers which inhibit competition and serve to keep end user prices high. To a monopolistic degree which would possibly not be legal in Europe. Kudos to Apple to talk these companies into a situation where Apple takes such a large share of the profits from telecoms but don't fool yourself its simply about products and users.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Indeed Ben S.

They protest too much. The cult of Apples followers make it happen by their bizarre and fanatical following of their ex-maker and anything else that's thrown at them. Sycophancy at its best.

Just ask your teenage son/daughter why should anyone be paying $100 extra for every 8gB/16gb /32 Gb memory iteration of this ITAT? When it really costs pennies elsewhere ? The 80 percent android fans love this option (rather than a compulsory gouging by Apple - and sheeple happy to pay).

Or ask them the size of a HD movie download.

The user experience you so proudly boast of is another walled garden and APPLE decides & determines what you see/hear from the devices that you have dearly paid for. WTF ? Control freakery, anyone?

Now what's it with the French cars and Wall street?

9. Fihart

Solution or problem ?

"...............the Apple Watch, a $349 problem looking for a solution."

Surely the author meant "a solution looking for a problem" ?

1. fandom

Re: Solution or problem ?

If he did, the mistake improved the article

1. Timmay

It makes it more snarky, for sure, and as much as I zzzzz at Apple stuff, I zzzzz tenfold at snark. Maybe I'm getting old, but there's a bit too much snark round here for my liking, and the snark is increasing. Maybe it should be renamed The Snark Register.

Just wanted to see how many times I could mention snark in one comment.

Snark.

1. Peter Storm

That's probably the highest ever percentage use of the word "snark" in written statement.

Excellent work!

10. stu 4

love em or hate em

they made me 10 grand over the last 2 years in shares.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: love em or hate em

my job made me over 160 grand over the last 2 years in salary

1. Peter Storm

That maybe true, but making that 10 grand probably consisted of doing next to fuck all.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> That maybe true, but making that 10 grand probably consisted of doing next to fuck all.

You've never seen me do my "job".

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I am up 80 thousand on Apple and my job paid 480 thousand the past 2 years.

Do I win?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> I am up 80 thousand on Apple and my job paid 480 thousand the past 2 years.

¥480,000, wooo, nice going danielson. Remember to wax-on, wax-off.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Apple is listed in USD, and so is my salary ;)

I still win - hahahahhaha

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Not quite, I'm paid in Bitcoins.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The 2000 Apple Shares I bought the day Steve Jobs returned has evolved into my pension fund.

Sure some of the shit they have produced is ... well shit. Most of it does its job far better than the majority of the comptetition and all without being beholden to Microsoft and/or Google.

I'd like the shares to hit $115 by the end of the year so that I can cash in and retire. After that, I really won't care if they survive or die financially but someone needs to keep Google (and to a lesser extent Microsoft) honest or at least less corrupt that they would otherwise be if left to run riot over everything.

1. DJV Silver badge

This: http://explosm.net/comics/3678/

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

How the toss are Apple keeping Google honest?

What does that even mean?

No seriously what does it mean?

How on Earth does a company who has championed patent backed copying, a lawyerial assault squad, a rigid walled garden and massive margins often fueled by consumer-stiffing cartel based price fixing, possibly keep honest a company that has released a vast amount of their code as open source and said "enjoy yourselves".

What they are is a bunch of smarmy, smug, narcissistic, hideously litigious, shit monkeys.

And all who sail in them.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I generally like Apple gear, but not the hype

I'm OK with Apple kit, it works for me, and it takes little to get integration going in a secure way provided you avoid iCloud like the plague.

The hype, however, I can seriously do without.

If you want to make it an event, then get some people involved who can make this interesting. Comedians, people with some stage presence, NOT people who would not look out of place in an accounting firm and for whom the superlatives they were told to use by the marketing droids were clearly causing physical pain. Jobs, for all his faults, had a strong presence, he could do this, but Tim Cook is not Jobs, and should seek his own style instead of trying to imitate Jobs.

What was released could have been done with a press release and some pictures instead of this hype fuelled non-event. There is nothing wrong with evolution, as long as you don't try to dress it up as REvolution because that will just look stupid. And it did, it created a truly anaemic event after all that buildup. So it's bigger. Meh. You have two versions, one of which even bigger. Meh. There's a boring watch which suggests that all the people that can design beauty appear to have been busy elsewhere, so meh again. And you're getting into NFC payments. Yawn, who let the accountants on stage?

As I said before, all I personally am looking forward to is iOS8 and Yosemite. Which won't get you any of my money. And even if I *did* want to give you money, you won't let me as I moved country and am now faced with either ditching my existing investment (or at least not getting it updated) by switching iStore country or keeping a credit facility alive in a country I just left. Well, f*ck that - that's why I now buy from external outfits such as the Omni Group who sell me a non-app store version. As for apps, I have enough of them, thanks, so I'll just leave the shop settings as they are. Oh, and that music buying thing? Not only is Amazon cheaper, but their MP3s work everywhere - including my iGear.

I may like the gear, but I don't like the rest. So spare me the stage antics and fix the fundamentals first.

12. Winkypop Silver badge
    Stop

New Apple kit. New Royal baby !!

FFS, stop it!

13. KPz

Note To Editors

A 6% drop in a stock is not a "plummet". It's a "fall".

I know this having worked for a company whose stock fell 40% in one day. Now that's a "plummet".

14. mrdalliard
    WTF?

What? No "Peak Apple" mention?

See title. Maybe they've given up flogging that horse to death.

15. ElNumbre

Cliff

Shareprices tend to follow herd mentality; they go charging around all over the place based on what the herd feel, which works well until they go charging headlong off a cliff.

<<Insert Gaelic Shrug Here>>

1. Persiflage

Re: Cliff

"<<Insert Gaelic Shrug Here>>"

A Gaelic Shrug is when someone, in response to a comment, says "Aye, weel..." in a thoughtful manner and then proceeds to smash their pint glass in your face as the preliminary to kicking you to death while munching a deep-fried Mars Bar.

I think you meant "Gallic Shrug". Or perhaps not. People get terribly worked up over these matters...

16. fanboi #451
    FAIL

But. Big but. The small print on Apple's Watch site

"Features are subject to change and may not be available in all regions or all languages. Requires iPhone 5 or later."

Apple really need to start telling FruityFone dealers about this. Most mobile companies in the UK and most VAR resellers are still retailing iPhone 4S units. That is going to be a heck of a lot of pissed off teenagers who are getting a Apple Watch and their parents' handmedown iPhone 4s for their next birthday ... not this year obviously.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

up USD $17BN

Hmmm. Let the short-term dated options goodness flow. Something Apple has quite a bit of experience with.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like