back to article We lift the lid on Intel's Pro 2500 SSD. Shock, horror: It doesn't use its own NAND chips

Intel has been busy of late launching SSDs for both the consumer market and for the data centre/enterprise segments. But the dedicated business segment, which Intel addressed for the first time last year with the SSD Pro 1500, was the one area where it didn't introduce a new drive. With the launch of the SSD Pro 2500 series, …

1. Adam JC

Is it me..

Or is the write endurance a bit on the lame side at 20GB of writes/day? I suppose they have to go fairly steady when offering the lengthier warranties over the Samsung 840 Evo series drives...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Doesn’t have any form of power loss protection"

Is this serious? I thought power loss corruption could be catastrophic with SSD drives. Why would a business-oriented model not include it?

3. batfastad

Wow!

"a 4GB image took 36 seconds at 101GB/s."

Pics or it didn't happen.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wow!

Don't worry, he is using Windows Copy Time Predition™ to do the math. It means the controller got stuck waiting for Windows to tell it what to do for 35,96 seconds after first call, then proceeded to perform all the actual copying in 0,0396 seconds. Working as intended.

I'd use the troll icon, but I don't have any actual idea if any other OS would do the same.

4. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

"Intel claims the drive has an endurance of 36.5TB"

...and this is a "business" drive? Whaaa?

1. Archaon

Things like the page file aside it would take me (and most business computer users) decades, if not centuries, to write 30TB+ of data to the local disk in my PC at work. I would very much appreciate the speed of an SSD in it although with a 5 year old Celeron installed perhaps that shouldn't be my first priority...

Anyway, I can see it being an issue for workstation users who pull large amounts of data from file shares onto their local PC and then dump it back, but for general 'business use' they will be fine.

Obviously you wouldn't want to shove these in a heavily used server, SAN or NAS but 'business use' doesn't necessarily refer to datacenter use.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

If it would take you decades, if not centuries to write 30TB+ to the local disk in your PC, why aren't you just using a consumer drive? That's what they're for. "Business" drive implies that it is built for more rugged stuff.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wtf no power loss protection... thank you very much for this review, intel really dropped the balls on this one : ( , almost bought it a few of these.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like