back to article Show us your Five-Eyes SECRETS says Privacy International

Privacy International has taken the “Five-Eyes” spying issue to court, filing a demand that the agreements between participant countries – the US, the (currently) UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand – be made public. As its filing states, the court action follows a freedom of information (FOI) request for information about …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

GCHQ canteen menu selections--you saw it here first!!!

-Hash we made out of civil liberties, served with eggs of expediency

-"We're watching you" eye of round with surveillance side salad

-Vegan (Like we know those troublemakers at Human Rights Watch eat) burger with paranoia pasta salad

-Above the law albacore tuna sandwich with side of tyranny tater tots

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: GCHQ canteen menu selections--you saw it here first!!!

A friend of mine works at the Cheltenham Doughnut Company. He can't even discuss with his wife what's on the menu at work. Means he's stuck with a packed lunch.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The selections are actually pretty good.

Anonymous because...well.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Actually grub has always been good on my few visits. I seem to remember they did get hit a couple of years ago with the no free coffee/tea on tap. Certainly happened at the Home Office and the NPIA (where the chief exec made ludicrous and innumerate statements about the number of staff who could not be hired due to caffeine consumption :-)

2. frank ly

Thin end of the wedge

This particular request may have been craftily designed so that any reasonable court would find that there is no threat to security in requiring GCHQ to reveal the information. It's a long term 'thin end of the wedge' tactic to set a precedent.

Next: an FOI request for the average number of miles traveled by GCHQ employees on 'company business', broken down by air/train/car miles, in order to determine if they are being responsible about carbon emissions.

1. Dr Scrum Master
      Coat

Re: Thin end of the wedge

air/train/car/jet pack/miniature submarine/etc

FTFY

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How much on the odds the court won't intervene on the grounds of international security (ex. can't reveal the menu for fear an enemy power might poison it, etc.) when it's really a thinly-veiled threat to find a way to curtail its powers or the like?

3. Perpetual Cyclist

If my contact is a typical case, then private hire car will be top of the list. Not that (s)he tells me where (s)he is going...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I like it!

My monthly donation going to good use!

To anyone who is bothered about privacy, instead of moaning on forums, why not donate to Privacy or one of the other organizations that are fighting this in the courts on our behalf.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I like it!

"why not donate to Privacy or one of the other organizations that are fighting this in the courts on our behalf."

Well, firstly because I don't care what is on the spooks canteen menu. However, if they can help identify the constituent parts of what my canteen offer I'd be greatful for the assistance.

Secondly, because as much as I dislike being spied upon by the 5 eyes partners, once any organisation busts a door in GCHQ, that organisation will be corrupted by outsiders with an agenda. For evidence of that, take a look at IAM, the advanced driving organisation. It is being corrupted by environmentalists and the anti-speed lobby to the point that many members are genuinely considering dropping their subscriptions. It was supposed to be about safe driving, not politics, the environment, or numerical tin discs at the side of the road.

1. SImon Hobson Bronze badge

Re: I like it!

>> take a look at IAM, the advanced driving organisation. It is being corrupted by environmentalists and the anti-speed lobby to the point that many members are genuinely considering dropping their subscriptions. It was supposed to be about safe driving, not politics, the environment, or numerical tin discs at the side of the road.

Ah, not just me that's spotted that then. I actually wrote and told them that when I see "compliance with speed limits" mentioned (in the context of it being something to be improved/a measure of success) then I know the article is bull manure and nothing to do with road safety.

Funny, I don't think I got a reply !

4. wyatt

It can't be that hard to work out what they eat? See who delivers and check out their catalogue. No doubt they'll have a 4 week rotating menu so must order a fair few different lines. See, could have saved themselves the time waiting for the rejection..

Hopefully someone will have the testicles give them the finger.

1. Elmer Phud

Foof glorious food

"Hopefully someone will have the testicles give them the finger."

Testicles are onThursdays, Chocloate fingers are available at any time from the display next to the till.

2. Naughtyhorse
      Big Brother

See who delivers....

... to GCHQ?

okay I'm game if you are!

but you can take the firsh (connery-an slip?) shift, parked up opposite the main gate photographing all vehicles in and out.

what could possibly go wrong?

5. Primus Secundus Tertius

Sauce for the goose

How about an FOI request against Privacy International? Who are they? What are they really trying to achieve? Have they made similar requests of China, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Iran ...?

1. Naughtyhorse

Re: Sauce for the goose

Are any of those places subject to FOI regulation.

and there's your answer.

2. The Mole

Well given Privacy International is a None Government Organization by definition the FOI doesn't apply. If you want to know who they are or what they are trying to achieve have you thought of looking on their website?

They do plenty of campaigning about privacy issues in totalitarian regimes, but just because there are places that are worse doesn't mean you should ignore significant problems closer to home. Particularly given that a democracy where its own governments isn't following the rule of law, or being open and honest can't actually be classed as a fully functioning democracy. The wisdom of the democractic crowd can only happen if the crowd has accurate information to base their votes upon.

1. LucreLout
        FAIL

"If you want to know who they are or what they are trying to achieve have you thought of looking on their website?"

Next you'll be telling us to read GCHQs website to see what they do.

3. i like crisps
      Big Brother

I really don't have a problem being spied on by China, Russia, Saudi Arabia or Iran, they're the enemy, thats what they're supposed to do. What i have got a problem with, is being spied on by a bunch of 'Middle Class FUCKHEADS' in Cheltenham, who seem to thimk its their 'right' to surveil us from the moment we fall out of our mothers cunts till the day we peg it!.........or am i just taking life a little bit too seriously?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You want to peg your mother's cunt?! No wonder they stop watching after that...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Way to go.... not!

If you wanted to guarantee that the UK Government would unilaterally remove itself from the ECHR, and lose all of the gains that campaigners have made because of it then this is a perfect tactic.

Having "them Europeans" telling us that we have to release information from GCHQ under the Human Rights Act would leave any flavour of UK government in a situation where they would have to withdraw or simply ignore the ruling

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Way to go.... not!

If the trajectory of the Yes campaign continues, I suspect come next Friday, politics in the UK will become so fractured and confusing, the ECHR will be the last thing on anybodies minds.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"If the trajectory of the Yes campaign continues, I suspect come next Friday, politics in the UK will become so fractured and confusing, the ECHR will be the last thing on anybodies minds."

I think it would deliver a comfortable win for the Conservatives at the next election. Labour badly need their Scottish MPs to take a majority, even with the comedic and wholly undemocratic constituency boundaries they drew up when in power.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I love the way people assume that the UK will lose Scotland, and politics will continue as before (thus leading to the Tory majority scare). As I read elsewhere, it's like expecting someone to continue walking normally, after having their leg amputated.

It's starting to dawn on the rUK that losing Scotland is a chance for us to dump the Westminster triumvirate for good.

It's hard to see how David Cameron can continue to lead the Tories - let alone the rUK, when he will have been so spectacularly involved in it's demise. And the same for the other two losers.

I sense a mood shift in rUK now. Scotland leaving will act as an enabler for seismic changes here.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"would never have occurred to us" ... Really ??

"It would never have occurred to us to include “The current menu and price list for any restaurants, canteens, cafes or other food service providers that operate within any GCHQ controlled building” in a request." ....

It's a standard, and usually the most interesting part of all the FOIs I make ;-)

Keep the over-paid b*st*rds busy, I say !

1. mhoulden

Re: "would never have occurred to us" ... Really ??

What are the chances catering is provided by someone like Eurest and the menus are the same bland and overpriced stuff that you get in most staff canteens?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

so many anon !!

Is this a AA meeting (anonymous anonymous) :D

9. Chris G

B%$$K"!ST

E---, --c--, ---ns, --ie- -l--- and b----e.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: B%$$K"!ST

Wot, no t--st??

10. channel extended
    Happy

Restaurant inside.

Maybe they actually have a "McDonalds" with free wifi.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like