back to article Whopping 10TB disks spin out of HGST – plus 3.2TB flash slabs

HGST today launched a full frontal assault on the market with a shedload of disk and flash announcements – including a 10TB hard drive. The background scene set is the notion that the rate of data growth is doubling every two years and the spread of internet connectivity to non-IT devices (aka Internet of Things) will fuel …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"That's not a typo. 10,000GB on spinning platters in helium"

Ten terabytes? I can remember when you could run a tactical nuclear air base on 80 Mb.

1. Sandtitz Silver badge
      Mushroom

Re: "That's not a typo. 10,000GB on spinning platters in helium"

I was Raiding over Moscow with 64KB 30 years ago.

2. FrankAlphaXII

Re: "That's not a typo. 10,000GB on spinning platters in helium"

There was a time the entire nuclear arsenal's tracking system ran on 131K per SAGE installation. And that's if I'm converting correctly, which I don't think I am as that seems awful high.

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

Shingles is a nasty painful disease

And I predict that shingled drives will be similarly painful.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Coat

Re: Shingles is a nasty painful disease

"partially overlapping racks to cram more tracks on a disk "

You'll never get them in a box that small.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re. nuclear base

Isn't mentioning that a breach of national security?

just saying..

1. FrankAlphaXII

Re: Re. nuclear base

No.

He didn't mention locations, dates, units, specific weapons or other equipment, procedures, or anything else identifiable, he didn't even mention which service branch it was, and it could be any of them but the Coast Guard. Even then, if its not classified and/or covered by a Non-Disclosure Agreement then there's no breach.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Re. nuclear base

And I didn't even mention which country it was for...

Could have been the bad guys. But these days it's not really clear who are the bad guys, and maybe our side are the bad guys. Perhaps they weren't in the days I referred to, who now knows.

4. Richard Tobin

Helium 6

"The helium-filled He6 disk drive tops out at 6TB". Helium-6 has a half-life of 807 milliseconds. Helium-8's is 119 milliseconds. I guess that's why the warranties are so short.

1. FrankAlphaXII

Re: Helium 6

I was just gonna say something along those lines. Why in the hell they name their drives after very unstable isotopes of Helium is beyond me. It doesn't exactly imply reliability or longevity, which is what storage vendors were supposed to be aiming for.

1. PleebSmash
        Thumb Up

I somehow doubt the customers will associate their knowledge of helium isotopes with reliability concerns regarding these drives.

10 TB !!!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not only that. Keeping Helium in place is difficult. It could escape and all go wrong!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fighter Aircraft Simulator

with all the real Avionics 56Kb of Ram, 200KHz CPU and 2.4Mb of HDD in 1975.

Have we really made that much progress?

1. JEDIDIAH
      Linux

Re: Fighter Aircraft Simulator

> with all the real Avionics 56Kb of Ram, 200KHz CPU and 2.4Mb of HDD in 1975.

>

> Have we really made that much progress?

Ask a fighter pilot. I am sure he would be very enthusiastic about the progress that's been made since 1975.

1. Frederic Bloggs

Re: Fighter Aircraft Simulator

The hardware must have improved by as much as 3 orders of magnitude since then...

6. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Meh. Call me when the 10Tb SSD ships in consumer bulk.

10Tb (Terabits)? Well, that's only 1.137 TiB of usable storage, not far from the 1 Terabyte (931GiB) you can easily buy today.

(Remember, case matters, and exact units matter. The pedant in me leaped out too much upon seeing Tb).

2. JEDIDIAH
      Linux

This reminds me of that recent SSD review where I got downvoted for pointing out that bad sequential write performance undermines the point of buying an SSD.

It doesn't matter if the SSD is big and cheap if it can't keep up with my spinning rust.

That SSD from the review wasn't any faster than my current spinning rust.

The rest of us will be taking advantage of what is available while you're over there getting blue trying to holdout.

1. PleebSmash

Don't most SSDs today hit 450 MB/s for sequential writes? Are you talking about an SSD that was in the 100-300 MB/s range?

2. Andrew Gratton

Sequential write performance is largely meaningless for any drive. 4K random reads/writes are far more meaningful.

3. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

"sequential write performance"

What are you doing that uses sequential write? Ever business app I can think of - let alone stacks upon stacks of virtualised servers - is "I/O blender"-style randomness. About the only thing I can think of where sequential write makes a difference is single-user video editing, if you are saving to the local system.

But even then, only if you're using RAID 1 or JBOD. Any other RAID levels will benefit more from something that doesn't suck at random I/O more than they will from sequential...

3. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

I don't know, man. I look at storage prices of rust drives today and even I can't complain about price. Even SSDs are at an acceptable level. We've reached a point at the consumer and SMB level where the cost of the media is not the barrier.

7. cyberdemon Silver badge
    Angel

The trouble with Helium..

Is it has a tendency to seep through *anything* - even solid steel / aluminum..

A balloon lasts a day or two - a foil one a week or two, while an 80 litre dewar flask of liquid helium will noticeably ebb away over the course of a few months. Granted this is primarily via the oil film seal around the stainless steel ball valve once it has been opened and closed again (rather than the metal itself, though that does happen), but I suspect the slightest knock/vibration could disturb the seal on a helium-filled hard drive, enough for the helium to gradually percolate through the seams of the case and up to the heavens - and your data soon follows it!

1. phil dude
      Boffin

Re: The trouble with Helium..

my friends who make Deuterium bullets (for fusion) use recycling helium cryogenics, so there might be some sealing that is more effective at room temperature (vs supercooled).

Then there is graphene of course....!

Anyone knows what is the helium life in these drives? It would give us a clue on how it is sealed... from a web site on helium leak testing, 10^-10 mbar.l/s is 1 cm^3 in 300 years...

P.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The trouble with Helium..

Yeah, I'm sure HGST developed these things on duck feather-filled pillows and skipped that whole vibration testing nonsense.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe this will make Seagate pull their finger out of their back sides and actually give us the vapor wear that is HAMR and drop this shingling rubbish like a stone.

Seagate + Shingling + Wiring Data = Dead in under 6 months, ive had to stop supplying them as a result... and Switch over to WD blues and blacks.

Good on you HGST, at least someone pushing things forward.

1. PleebSmash

But HGST is also using shingles.. to get to 10 TB...

A lot of people have complained about Seagate reliability. And WD reliability. And SSD reliability. Where's the evidence that shingles is the culprit?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I can tell you first hand since seagate introduced shingling ive seen the average life of drives when used in raid arrays go from 3 - 6 years to less than 1 year.

I must have gone through 30 + drives before i got sick and tired of pulling another seagate DM model.

Swapped to using WD blues and blacks where people could afford them and ive not had a single bad drive in over 3 years....

In machines where data wasn't saved in ext4 and/or also didn't change a lot they made it past the one year mark but still then had a fair few go in under 2 years and some strange faults that magically went away after low level formatting the drives (which appeared to be shingled drives more sensitive to temperature changes).

Shingling is a stupid technology, change one bit and then your re-writing until then next shingle gap, massively increasing drive wear, yeah it means you can produce bigger drives, but at the cost of reducing the reliability.

Its interesting that no sooner had seagate introduced shingling they very shortly followed with the reduction of warranty to 1 year...

Thats just my experience...

1. Tom Samplonius

"I can tell you first hand since seagate introduced shingling ive seen the average life of drives when used in raid arrays go from 3 - 6 years to less than 1 year."

That is surprising since Seagate released its first shingled drive (SMR) in 2014, and it is not clear whether those are actually shipping to end-users right now or not (it appears that most SMRs have been shipped to a cloud provider). Your observed failure rate had nothing to do with SMR, and you probably have no SMR disks. Your other observations are probably similarly accurate.

9. Tromos

I can just see...

...someone rushing in and proclaiming (in a squeaky voice): "I've lost all my data!"

10. YARR

Will the datacentres where these drives are destined consider recycling that He when the drives are EOL? Perhaps we need government regulation to mandate recycling of elements that don't have a sustainable supply for industrial applications?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yeah, MORE government regulation is ALWAYS the solution to the worlds problems.

Idiot!

11. Sureo

Wanna know....

Do helium filled drives weigh less than air filled drives? Wouldn't vacuum filled(?) drives perform better?

1. PleebSmash

Re: Wanna know....

The read head needs a cushion of gas to glide over the platter. A vacuum doesn't qualify and would cause the head to crash into the platter. Helium is less dense than air, leading to less friction, heat, power, but a gas is still needed.

2. Timmay
      Trollface

Re: Wanna know....

Given Helium floats up, which would be lighter, a Helium filled drive or a vacuum filled drive?

12. ROC
    Alien

Do they really need to waste helium on this?

Considering the ever-decreasing supply, and its vital uses (MRI scanners being a notable example), this seems wasteful for that last iota of performance vs a more common gas or putting the effort into increasing SSD capacity and performance (probably need helium to manufacture SSD's anyway, but maybe more TB's per helium unit?).

For a "status report":

http://www.decodedscience.com/helium-shortage-situation-update-one-year-later/42314

1. PleebSmash
      Facepalm

Re: Do they really need to waste helium on this?

We've had this discussion before. It uses very little helium per drive, and may be recoverable (they spent 7 years developing a seal that would keep the helium in). It's not an iota of performance that is gained, it's more like 20% less power consumption. I'm not sure why you think SSDs need helium for manufacture; the point of the helium HDD is to reduce the friction caused by the spinning parts found in hard DISK drives.

Maybe someone needs to come up with a 1 children's balloon = X helium-filled HDDs figure so we don't get this alarmist talk about helium on every helium drive story. Helium-filled drives are not going to affect the "crisis" (which is more of a free market issue).

1. Yugguy

"they spent 7 years developing a seal that would keep the helium in"

Wow - and I thought those trained seals the US Navy used to handcuff people were good. Now they can manipulate gas at a molecular level!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If we have such a shortage of Helium surely we should be banning Helium balloons for parties first which just let it out into the atmosphere?

These must use considerably more than most other applications?

13. willi0000000

my brain . . . wasting time for 65+ years and counting

my brain insists on showing me a rack full of little mylar party balloons . . . each straining at it's connector trying to float upwards . . . then some fool opens the rack door and all the data is stuck to the ceiling a few seconds later.

on a slightly more serious note . . . wouldn't reducing the internal pressure of the drive enclosure help reduce the rate of helium loss? . . . you might have to add little "wings" to the R/W heads to get them to fly at the correct height in a lower density gas but that seems easy enough and would reduce friction from the platters even more.

and what about recharging/purging ports on the case to replace lost helium? . . . pressure change could be monitored and if a drive is losing or gaining pressure or friction losses begin to rise or fall the S.M.A.R.T. software, or equivalent, could just alert the need for maintenance . . . it seems that this would eliminate any issues related to the helium causing end of life problems.

[oh well . . . it's probably more complicated than that so i'll just return to contemplating folks chasing their data all over the ceiling]

1. Jan 0 Silver badge

Re: my brain . . . wasting time for 65+ years and counting

Reducing the pressure will reduce the diffusion rate, but that will happen anyway if you start with helium at atmospheric pressure. Helium will be lost at a much faster rate than air is gained, so the internal pressure will decrease. What's needed here is a new head technology that can work in a vacuum from the start. Then we could forget about helium. In the long run we'll only use solid state storage. In the meantime this reminds me of the '60s when electronic controllers took a long time to overtake mechnical controllers. In the face of competition, clockwork made vast strides in reliability, complexity and cost. IIRC, washing machines didn't start to get electronic (microprocessor) controllers until about 1990! Industrial controllers went electronic before then.

14. Christian Berger

That's logical

The drowned factory of WD left the industry with some breathing space of not having to bring out new products immediately. So they could invest more in research... which now shows fruits.

Other than that, we're seeing incremental progress, not particularly exciting, but it'll be done.

15. earl grey
    Meh

reliability

So, does anyone have reliability stats on these HGST units?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: reliability

Duh - they're on the HGST Web site

Reliability

Error rate (non-recoverable, bits read) 1 in 10^15

Load/Unload cycles (at 40° C) 600,000

Availability (hrs/day x days/wk) 24x7

MTBF 2M hours

Warranty (yrs) 5

/Duh

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RE. Re. reliability

Just had two (!!!) 3TB fail within a week with total fail on spin up.

My external 3TB is the same design and this is getting backed up as we speak.

One thing that seems interesting about HD drives like this is the use of a piezo actuator for the head motion means that they could be attacked using ultrasonics on a resonant frequency if this can be fed back the head could indeed be interfered with or worse, hit the platter during long write cycles.

An important thing to note is that some drives use the same buggy FW so by using RAIDed drives made by different manufacturers with near identical sizes then the odds of a simultaneous failure are much reduced ignoring power spikes (UPS) or other unforeseen events.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon