back to article Hackers exploit China earthquake to punt Trojan

Unscrupulous virus writers have inevitably latched onto the Chinese earthquake disaster, which killed more than 50,000, to punt malware. The Trojan-laced email attacks follow earlier phishing scams themed around the Sichuan province disaster. Emails with infected Word attachments contaminated by MalDoc-Fam Trojan are being …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hacker v cracker

I know the old argument is pretty much moot this days but I really, really don't think the work "hacker" is appropriate here. What's wrong with "scum"?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

@Sadly predictable

Maybe they need properly-seeded RNGs.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I think the cracker, hacker distinction is still valid

It is not that hard to use cracker instead of hacker. Whenever I see hacker and something bad in headlines, I immediately think some bit of clever code went awry.

Inevitably it turns out to be someone cracking, though.

Yes, it is just takes a bit of effort to use the word cracker, and I think we can take the word hacker back. To get hacker back we use the word cracker more, until it seeps in.

The word cracker is more descriptive of the activity as well, we should also track down the first person who screwed it up publicly and give them a roasting, ironically it is probably going to turn out to be some hack :).

And, for a little payback we could take one of their interests and start to place a negative meaning around that word, use it to describe all manner of nefarious activities.

It is annoying not being able to convey that a hack is bit of clever code, that is not perhaps orthodox without someone thinking you are accusing them of unauthorized access.

4. Martin Proffitt
    Stop

It goes without saying really

The term hacker really is the wrong term to apply. Hackers have morals. Hackers break into systems and steal information, or post viral software to gather information, but true hackers would never dream of leaching off the back of other peoples misery caused by a global disaster.

Whoever started this scam is not a hacker by any stretch of the imagination. They are scum who does hackers a disservice and I would urge all real hackers to target the person who started this and take them down. They are a disgrace to humanity and in my eyes even the shit that I scrape off my size 11 new rock boots has more decency!!!

To all who have suffered and continue to suffer as a result of this disaster, my deepest sympathies go out to you.

To the scum who try to make money off the backs of other peoples suffering:

I HOPE YOU ROT IN HELL!!!

5. Chris S

@Martin P

You go dude.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like