back to article Last of the Time Lords heads for GayPride

Concerns that this month's GayPride festival might lose out because it clashes with the season finale of Doctor Who have led organisers to show the sci-fi favourite on giant screens in Trafalgar Square. Jason Pollock, chief executive of the Pride event, said: "We hit on the idea of screening Doctor Who at the end of our main …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Hedley Phillips

Why?

"Doctor Who is probably the most gay friendly show on our screens"

why?

2. Robert Grant

Most gay-friendly?

Really? Is anyone able to elaborate on this slightly odd claim? Or is this a case of trying to force convergence where there really isn't any?

3. Alien8n

Isn't it obvious?

Since The first instance of Captain Jack hitting our screens there's always been that slight undercurrent. Torchwood was a complete gay love nest, with gay and lesbian love in pretty much every episode. The problem is I don't want a Dr Who that cops off with male companions. For that matter I don't want the simpering that the current Dr Who has with his female companions. Episodes today all seem to be about "oh, isn't the Dr simply wonderful".

Give me a horde of Daleks trying to conquer the universe any day...

4. Ben Saxon

Hmm...

The only explanation I can think of for this bizarre claim is that David Tennant does tend to camp it up as the doctor. He's no Tom Baker, that's for sure.

5. Law

RE: Most gay-friendly?

Probably because it is made by the same guy who brought us Queer as Folk... erm... it is filmed in Wales, wales have gay people like daffid (only gay in the villiage) and Aled Jones (Radio One)...... errrrr.... Captain Jack is omni-sexual (he loves to love everything! )..... ok, i give up.... no idea!! :)

Ohhhh oh oh - leading guy who never "does" any of his companions, great dress sense, gets on with all the ladies... sounds very gay to me!! XD

6. Andrew Moore

Last of the Gaylords

Surely the most gay friendly has to be Doctor Queer As Folk Who aka Torchwood.

7. Mike Campbell

Did I mention it's got a talking pie? Ron, you've done it again!

Pandering to the supposed "needs" of the viewing populous? Eep no, more likely the team of staff writers has been infiltrated by a camp Cyberman who has succeeded in his mission of ridding the world of the Doctor by removing him from our screens.

I knew they'd win in the end, if Tom Baker couldn't stop them then Billy Piper (and her whorish, yet appealing mouth) certainly had no chance what-so-ever.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Gay friendly

Doctor Who and sci-fi in general are often popular with people who have non standard sexuality, because they show other worlds and other ways of living different from our own. Of course, there's also the hint of 'confirmed bachelor' in all the pre-revival Doctors.

There's such a cross over that my local sci-fi shop sells Gay Times next to Dr Who magazine!

9. John Goodwin

Not forgetting the Daleks, of course

You can't talk about Dr Who and gay in the same sentence without reference to the legendary Victor-Lewis Smith and a program called TV Offal which had some Gay Daleks.

Take a look on YouTube here: http://tinyurl.com/3ddpdf

Hilarious.

10. lansalot

next step

I propose a name change then.

Out with Dr Who and let's all give a warm hand to... Dr Yoo-hoo !

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dr Who-opsie? I don't think so..

Doctor Who has far more in common with Captain Kirk..

..they both come in a blue box.

(coat is on and I'm out the door and onto the bus before you read that one)

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Huh

Huh, wont go to the festival if it means missing favourite programme on the telly... what a bunch of puffs!!!

oh... wait...

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tolerance

Doctor Who has at times in the past been very camp and theatrical and is currently made by gay writer Russel T Davies and stars John Barrowman. It doesn't promote gay sexuality, or in fact sexuality in general, but is very accepting of it.

Doctor Who is a show that has always been about tolerance and accepting others, whether black, gay or dalek.

14. mark

sweet

gaylords AND timelords?? awesome!

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

gay references

Many episodes in the current series have had little references querying the Doctor's sexuality. Captain Jack of course, and then there's Torchwood which is definitely "out" there.

RTD would of course just do his silly giggle and say "oh it's all just a bit of fun".

16. the Jim bloke

havent watched the show for years

but back in the old days, the Dr was always coming out of his gaint blue closet...

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe he uses a Mac

FEED THE TROLL

FEED THE TROLL

FEED THE TROLL

;-D

18. Kate

Yes.

It's clearly gay-friendly! Every single episode seems to have some sort of gay-issues propaganda in it!

Take Utopia, for example:

The Doctor: When I look at you, you're just wrong.

Jack: Don't you think that's prejudiced?

(or words to that effect). Clearly appealing to members of any sidelined identity grouping!

The characters in a story don't actually have to be gay to make the agenda present, it's more about issues of alternate/outsider identity. *has written a thesis about this*

This topic is closed for new posts.