back to article Everyone taking part in Patch Tuesday step forward. NOT SO FAST, Adobe!

Adobe has pushed back the release date for a planned security fix in Acrobat and Reader. The company said that the patch for both Windows and OS X versions of Reader and Acrobat due for tomorrow will instead arrive next week. The delay will give the company time to iron out problems spotted during testing, the company said in …

1. Shannon Jacobs
    Holmes

How is it possible for Adobe's software to be so bad?

They patch it several times a month. They do not add ANY new functions, certainly not visible ones. And yet their program is still crashing frequently, usually several times a day. Each time it crashes, my browser is locked up for a while until it releases.

Let me guess. Since Adobe has no good news, they just create bad news. At least we're still noticing them, eh?

Actually, I think they're a kind of nice company in some ways, but they need to FIX their software.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: How is it possible for Adobe's software to be so bad?

"Actually, I think they're a kind of nice company in some ways"

Bull. They're hostage-taking extortionists. Period.

Now pay your subscription, even when you can't afford it. NOW! DON'T THINK! NOW! NOW GODDMAN YOU! PAY! PAY UP! NOW!

2. Graham 24
      Boffin

>>> How is it possible for Adobe's software to be so bad?

>>> They patch it several times a month.

That's *why* it's so bad. Any changes tend to corrupt the original design. A software engineer will tell you that the first place to look for bugs in any piece of software is the part that has had lots of bug fixes recently.

1. P. Lee

>> They patch it several times a month.

>That's *why* it's so bad

Certainly, but let's not overlook the fact that anyone who needs to patch so frequently hasn't put any thinking into the coding.

Personally, I also suspect they do just patch to keep themselves in people's minds. If anyone has a patch regime, the first thing you think of is, "how often do we update adobe?" I just say thank-you to Chrome and FF and don't bother installing at all.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does anyone stilll have Adobe ibstalled on their PC?

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Unfortunately, yes.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Unfortunately, we have to use Adobe Reader to interact with some Government websites that use document signing features in PDF forms. We have switched to PDFXChange for everyone else, but there are a handful of users who still have Adobe Reader installed (and of course, the version just released to address security concerns won't be officially supported - if there's a problem accessing these government forms, just roll back to the insecure version!)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

Ewwwww

Acrobat, no thanks. Horribly bloated heap of rubbish.

4. a53

Does anyone else think Adobe, or at least a worthwhile software writing firm, should rewrite their entire range ? Horrible buggy crapware.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The delay will give the company time to iron out problems spotted during testing, the company said in its announcement of the shift.

What, as in Adobe having written the code? That'll take more than a few days to fix.

6. Tromos

"problems spotted during testing"

Fixed one bug, introduced two. About par for Adobe.

7. TaabuTheCat

The incompetence knows no bounds...

Just went to the Flash Player distribution page, where you can download the latest installers for Flash. The page says it's version 15.0.0.152 but when you download the files (active x or the plugin) they are both still version 14. Someone at Adobe needs a serious ass whoopin'.

1. Spotty
      Facepalm

Re: The incompetence knows no bounds...

You'll have to update the major version manually in the URL and you'll receive the initially expected version - Let's see how long until the great and mighty Adobe has fixed that.

8. DerekCurrie

Good For Adobe Pushing Back The Update. Bad for Adobe, Microsoft...

The only sane, responsible and professional method of updating insecure software is ASAP UPDATING. That's what I call it. This concept of 'Second Tuesday' updating, or any set schedule of updating is 100% ridiculous and indefensible. I've heard outrageous defense of scheduled updating from outrageous people. They're consistently faulty in their bent out of shape assertions.

That Adobe delayed the Acrobat & Reader updates is excellent. Release them when they're ready. But also keep in mind that holding back security updates is plain old insane.

Please chatter away attempting to defend the sacred Tuesdays, but I'll just be laughing in response.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You could try an alternative

The basic(free) version of Foxit by default locks down active content and warns you of it. Someone there can write software that works , Adobe it seems are serially unable to.

Not the only reader out there:

http://lists.thedatalist.com/pages/PDF_Tools.htm

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like