back to article iPHONEY: Fake iPhone 6 images splattered over Chinese internet

A video and photos have appeared on Chinese websites purporting to be "real" shots of the iPhone 6 – just days ahead of Apple's latest iStuff showcase on September 9. Vulture Weekend notes that this is potentially pure tittle tattle and understands only too well that on the internet nobody knows you're a dog. Yada yada ... But …

1. Andrew Jones 2

There is a Russian video which looks pretty real - if it really is a fake - it's an incredibly detailed and very time consuming one.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=657UeODW178

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You just wonder

Why a pre-release version of the new iphone has hit the streets in Russia of all places??

1. Anonymous C0ward

Re: You just wonder

Snowden leaked it?

2. Lee D Silver badge

Don't get the fuss personally.

Another version that, until it's in shops, you can't buy anyway. Wait until it comes out. Wait a little longer to see if it's a stinker. Wait a little longer and buy the cheaper competitor.

What's to fuss over?

1. Piro Silver badge

Apple Reality Distortion Field.

3. Arctic fox
    Headmaster

The gentleman's thumb may simply be protecting his own career...............

...............or that of his "contact".

1. TheProf

Re: The gentleman's thumb may simply be protecting his own career...............

He's just holding it wrong.

4. petur
    FAIL

I hope for Apple it is a fake

After hiring all these design gurus, the top of the phone still looks like crap... How about combining those tiny holes into one area? Or put the sensors in the edge of the glass like nokia managed 5 years ago with the n900 (granted, behind the plastic screen, not glass)

1. HMB

Re: I hope for Apple it is a fake

When the iPhone 4 came out I did feel that it was a beautiful thing. I never bought an iPhone, I felt that the screen was too small. I think the screen size is a large improvement, it's what the market wants, but I can't help thinking that the new iPhone looks like a bastard lovechild of Apple and HTC. To me it's lost it's sexiness in design.

When Apple, the people who really got this party started, when they start imitating their cheaper competitors, what happens then?

This one's going to be an interesting one to watch.

Best reason to buy Apple as far as I see is that they have much more stringent app store 'curation'.

Best reason to buy Android is the exceptional bang for buck on offer and the huge variety of choices.

Best reason to buy Windows Phone is.... erm.... hmmm. To 'think different'? :P

5. sonicedge

Looks real!

Author thinks some video is fake because guy is hiding serial no. but i think he is hiding serial no. to protect himself, so handset can't be traced back to a person or manufacturing plant.

i remember because of similar video leak of HTC Mobile by a kid on twitter they traced him with serial no. and fired his father.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If they are indeed real ...

... then Meh.

1. Paw Bokenfohr

Re: If they are indeed real ...

Agree with that. The worst looking iPhone since the 4 (I wasn't a fan of the plastic 3G / 3GS, though I didn't hate it). Even prefer the 5C to these mock-ups.

Guess I'll still be buying one, though - I want the 128GB and can hide the ugly with a case and looks aren't everything after all - but if they don't have that storage option I may well stick with the 5S for a cycle.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

OMG!

The new iPhone is going to be in Chinese? How the hell am I going to use THAT?

1. Bloakey1

Re: OMG!

Just wait a while and when the U.S. empire fails, China will be the new Albion. At that point we will all be speaking it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

爱你很久

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I, for one, welcome our new Chinese overlords.

8. JLV
    IT Angle

slow day?

Come on, with the amount of downvotes re anything non-derogatory said about Apple, your commentard demographic obviously sleeps easily without all this pre-launch hype, gush & speculation.

Really, who cares? It's a phone, just that. And it's not out, yet.

And I don't even mind Apple myself.

Catch some rays, down some suds, chat up up <person of interest>.

Write up launch review @ launch, plenty sufficient.

1. Bloakey1
      Happy

Re: slow day?

I think I saw one in a Moroccan medina last week. They appear to have skimped on the packaging and made the Apple point the wrong way.

Being a discerning <insert OS> shill I quickly passed it by and bought a lovely Rolex and a pair of Calven Kline boxers.

2. Paw Bokenfohr

Re: slow day?

Reese, Finch, Shaw or Root? Or maybe Fusco?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's all a bit late

We're going to get the real scoop in less than 48 hours. Why bother checking these out, when we can't even be certain they're real? A leak is a leak when it is a month or two in advance. When it is a day or two in advance it seems like a giant waste of time to follow Chinese and Russian links and pore over them trying to find evidence that it is faked.

Not to mention you're probably a bit more likely to pick up malware from these sites than you would from Apple's site streaming Tuesday's presentation (if one thinks it is that important to find out right away, rather than just waiting for the 500 articles summing up the presentation that will be available Tuesday evening like I will)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It's all a bit late

A leak is a leak when it is a month or two in advance

The parts have been leaking for months. There were photos three months ago of a fully constructed one. I think this is the real deal.

I'll still watch tomorrows announcement though purely because I believe Tim Cook will give it the old 'do we have time for one more thing?' then look at his wrist as the iWatch appears on screen and the entire audience swoon at the same time

10. Alan Denman

Good shit

Fans are already confessing their love for the ugly shit.

So when the real shit arrives the love volume dial will go all the way to 11.

11. sam tapsell
    Alert

I have no interest in this new phone. No way I will spend £600+ on a new device.

I am very happy with my iphone 5, now 2 years old. Its a really good phone for me. Its fast, great camera and browser, OK email, great maps. Nothing to fix.

OK, who am I kidding: Double the battery life, make the camera awesome, a bigger/better screen, a 65bit processor (1 better than 64). Must resist...

...and wait for the 6s.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like