back to article Zuck: Yo, Mexico! My $19bn WhatsApp could connect THREE BEEELLION people

Mark Zuckerberg wore his special altruistic pants on a trip to Mexico on Friday to flaunt his messaging wares in the country, by claiming that WhatsApp could connect up to three billion people globally. He visited President Peña Nieto in Mexico City on what appeared to be a PR mission to help grow Facebook's business in that …

1. Bladeforce

Stopped..

..using Facebook years ago and stopped using whatsapp when they bought it out. This boydroid does nothing for me or the internet

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Stopped..

Exactly,

Never used Facebook, Twatter, MySpace or anything like it. Never felt the need. Sure Zuck is a billionaire but not everyone wants to put their life out there for every poor sod in the world to see.

so his plan to take over the world will fail. Yes!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"but not everyone wants to put their life out there for every poor sod in the world to see"

Oh the irony of this sentence while telling us all about yourself. Even funnier because Facebook makes it quite difficult for everyone in the world to see your drivel, it's just your friends usually.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> Never used Facebook, Twatter, MySpace or anything like i

Facebook and twitter seem so blasé. Myspace is for kids or perverts. I prefer the seamless integration of google plus across all devices and communication methods; I feel i can interface better with the rest of the world.

2. Lusty

Wow you're so cool. Not only have you stopped using Facebook but you're also telling EVERYONE you don't use it. Just think how cool you'd be if you stopped using other mass communication services like phones, email and the Internet too! You could go back to writing cheques and using postal services too to make sure you're properly retro.

You'll have to trust me when I say that Facebook and Whatsapp are much better when people accept your friend requests.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Going to help Mexican drug gangs reach more customers?

Is he going to buy Silk Road next?

3. Bruce Ordway

Get them while they are young?

As a 50 something of course I also don't use Facebook, Twitter, MySpace etc...

But... I vaguely remember what I was like at age 13.

And I'm not so sure I'd have had the sense to avoid the use of those services at that age.

4. Mitoo Bobsworth
    Joke

"The free content ad network..."

Free of content ... jeez guys, get it right.

5. kafantaris2

"The internet offers huge opportunities for Mexico, from helping to share its talent, culture and businesses with the world and making government services more efficient," says Mark Zuckerberg. True, and also true that the "internet offers huge opportunities" for all other countries -- and why universal access is so important to them.

What's the use of a superhighway if those who needed most can't get on. And remember, universal internet access also means universal telephone access. That in itself ought to be incentive enough -- and it'll put a dent in the cellular monopoly that's now sucking cash needed for growth.

1. Daniel B.

Mexico's internet penetration is larger than it seems

The Mexican Congress tried to slip a mickey a couple of months ago, implementing wide-scale internet censorship "for national security purposes". During that time, there were many debates on why this wasn't an issue, or why it was an issue. The main thing is that we have simultaneously a low internet penetration % in residential homes, and a high internet penetration % in total number of users. Why? Because those who don't have the money to pay for broadband or even dialup, or lack a computer, can go to a cybercafé and get online. Thus, while OECD number show 20% penetration, it is closer to 60%; if you narrow your sample group to urban areas, it will be even higher.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

"and making government services more efficient"

Yeah... like the ones snooping on you...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like