back to article White box switches out-sell Brocade, Arista in the data centre

Analyst outfit Gartner has noticed something interesting: white box switches destined for the data centre outsold both Brocade and Arista in 2013. Gartner's data covers 1G/10G/40G/100G port shipments and revenue. Counting sales of those sorts found market share for the blank boxen was 3.8 per cent, on sales of 1.8 million …

1. Nate Amsden

only 50%?

Last I heard Cisco's market share was up in the 70-75% range, with HP about 10-15% and most of the rest of the vendors sub 5% each. I seem to recall Juniper being in the 6% range (at one point in the past year or so anyway), Extreme was in the ~3% range until they bought Entarasys and doubled their market share to 6% (they were something like within 0.2% of Juniper's market share at the time they said). Brocade was in the 3-4% range as well, not sure on Arista.

If Cisco is down to 50% that is quite a hit.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: only 50%?

I think it depends which part of the market you're looking at - this is specifically the DC market. Those numbers you've quoted sound more like the wider Ethernet switching numbers, including campus LANs, etc.

The market share numbers vary a bit by segment - e.g. Juniper is stronger in SP market than Enterprise, HP is stronger in Enterprise than SP..

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon