back to article Microsoft's SELFIE-TASTIC Nokia 830, 730: Complete with DOG SMILE WHITENER

In the latest instalment of this year's smartphone camera gimmicks, Microsoft’s ex-Nokia division, Microsoft Mobile Devices, showed off some of its own today at the IFA show in Berlin as it refreshed its year-old Lumia midrange and gave details of the next Windows Phone platform update. Two new Nokia-branded models were …

1. Roger B

Retreating?

"Two new Nokia-branded models were unveiled, confirming that the former Nokia phones division is beating a dignified retreat from slugging it out in the premium, $600 market."

The 930 was only launched in June, why would they announce a replacement for this model already? While it does seem odd that their phone announcements/launches are not all in sync, I don't see the lack of announcement as a retreat from the market.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Retreating?

"The 930 was only launched in June, why would they announce a replacement for this model already"

They haven't announced a replacement for the 930. But a replacement for the 1020 is rumoured to be coming very soon...

2. Richard Jones 1
    Flame

But Will They Have Any Useful Attributes?

There appears to have been no improvement in the one single feature I need, good quality hands free with NO NEED for look and peck useless touch screens. Goodness know Nokia had it right with the 6230i years ago so I am still forced to continue with an increasingly aged phone.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: But Will They Have Any Useful Attributes?

"There appears to have been no improvement in the one single feature I need, good quality hands free with NO NEED for look and peck useless touch screens. "

Welcome to the 21st century. A Bluetooth headset is what you need...

1. Richard Jones 1

I have been using my 20th century bluetooth set for years with my Nokia 6230i. Sadly while useless touch phones do work with bluetooth the phones do not do what I need.

2. Terry Barnes

I'm not sure I understand. My 820 does handsfree, and does it pretty well. I think it's a standard feature.

3. ZSn

You're right the 720 was underrated. However, it was also overpriced, for only 20 to 30 quid more you could get the 820 from Tesco and didn't have to slap in an microsd card into it meaning the difference was marginal.

I need a new lumia (the old one didn't bounce) so I'll have a look at the 730.

1. ZSn
      Holmes

Re: 720

woops sorry, I meant the 920

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

possibly the effete lapdogs of California smile...

but mine snarls. Especially at anyone taking selfies.

5. a53

So ........

A camera, that's good but not as good as a camera, with a built in phone. Hmm.

6. Ralph B

On the Internet

On the internet with a Lumia, nobody knows you're a dog with yellow teeth.

1. Mpeler
      Coat

Re: On the Internet

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.

Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

(Groucho Marx)

7. Allonymous Coward

I was going to get a 720 to replace my long-in-the-tooth iPhone 4. But decided I'd wait to see what the 730 was like.

I want reasonably low cost (check) and a good camera (check). Main uses are web, email, a bit of phoning, the odd mainstream app, and taking snaps of the kids.

However Nokia got rid of the shutter button, which was one of the things I liked about the 720. Though I'd heard the camera itself was a bit laggy. So, dammit, still not sure. At this rate I'll have to decide between one of the 10,000 Android handsets out there.

1. cambsukguy

It will reduce a lot from 10000 (lets face it - it is about 50 at most anyway) if you require a camera button - in fact, it may turn out that there are more Lumias than Androids available still that match that requirement.

8. Lazlo Woodbine

Losing the shutter button is a bad idea

The hardware shutter button was the main selling point when I opted for a Lumia 720.

Losing the button will make me think long and hard about replacing it with a 730 when my contract is due for renewal

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Losing the shutter button is a bad idea

Doesn't the volume button now control the shutter?

1. Allonymous Coward

Re: Losing the shutter button is a bad idea

Does it? That'd be OK. Perhaps El Reg will give us a rundown when they get their mitts on a review unit.

9. Bladeforce

They really need to change

..that horrible UI that is a flash back to tetris. Still not seen one in the wild yet

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: They really need to change

The UI is the best bit about it. As a phone. Big writing, for those of us caught on the street without our reading glasses. Big buttons for same. Shame the live tiles thing still doesn't seem to work properly. Although I don't personally want anything other than notifications on those anyway.

Plus the People Hub which is better than anything Google or Apple have managed, but possibly only about as good as the new Blackberry.

The real problem is that it's still not fully polished and consistent when using the less-common bits of the OS. Also the lack of apps, which I understand is a lot better than when I used a Win Phone, but still not as good as iOS or Android.

When it comes to SatNav and using it as a phone, my old Lumia 710 is still much better than my work iPhone 5. As a mobile computer the iPhone is way better.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like