back to article Nevada to host Tesla gigafactory: reports

The Nevada governor's office has tipped US broadcaster CNBC that the state is ready to announce Reno as the site for the planned Tesla battery factory. The company has been coy about revealing the location, presumably while it chooses between different government incentive packages for the facility, which will be built in …

1. Mark 85

More power to them..

If they build more battieries than cars and can hit the right price point, battery storage might become very viable for many things besides cars and trucks.

1. squigbobble

Re: More power to them..

I think that's pretty much what the plan is.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: More power to them..

I thought the plan was more power (storage) to their customers, more money to them.

Not that I have any problem with that. We could use some incremental improvement in battery technology and economies-of-scale cost savings.

2. Kharkov
    Angel

The Future is... finally... here.

Electric cars (and batteries of course), solar energy, reusable rockets and reusable BIG rockets. What we've been waiting for since the early days of Dan Dare, Captain Scarlet and yes, even Judge Dredd.

Finally, bit by bit, the future's getting here. High-capacity batteries with a (hopefully) quick recharge time and a long lifespan sold at low, low prices.

Last person using gasoline and an internal combustion engine's a rotten egg!

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: The Future is... finally... here.

I know, I know. Ignore the trolls. But: the internal-combustion gasoline engine is a perfectly serviceable tool which will remain the best one suited for certain jobs for a long time yet. Ditto the diesel engine, turbines, &c.

I'd much rather have a diesel-electric or propane-electric (turbine or IC) car than an all-battery-electric one. The vast majority of the miles I drive are long trips.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: The Future is... finally... here.

"Finally, bit by bit, the future's getting here."

Not to rain on your parade, but it's been going on for a long time. It happens in small steps.

My first computer was 1MHz, Z80 with 16KB of RAM.

My Grandad remembered the headlines in the papers of the Wright brothers first powered flight and he saw Neil Armstrong land on the moon in just in his lifetime as well as flying half way around the world in a 747.

I remember Maggie Philburn on Tomorrows World demonstrating the first BT mobile phone and look what we have now.

My dad built his first radio controlled model boat in about 1950. Now people are "driving" remote controlled nuclear powered tanks across Mars FFS :-)

3. Valerion

I charged my car in Reno...

....Just to watch it die...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Gamechanger!

1. ItsNotMe

"Gamechanger!"...or maybe not.

Tesla Motors: Too Many Batteries, Not Enough Demand?

Tesla Motors’ plan to build a new 35 GWh lithium-ion cell production facility – dubbed the Gigafactory – for electric vehicles that will bring about only a modest reduction in battery costs, and create significant overcapacity, given likely sales of less than half the targeted 500,000, according to Lux Research.

An analysis by Lux Research projects sales of only 240,000 cars in 2020, leading to razor-thin margins to Panasonic and 57% overcapacity…

This 57% overcapacity is unlikely to be filled either by rival carmakers or Tesla’s own plans to sell some stationary battery packs to developers like SolarCity (SCTY) for residential photovoltaic integration and other uses.

http://blogs.barrons.com/stockstowatchtoday/2014/09/03/tesla-motors-too-many-batteries-not-enough-demand/

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: "Gamechanger!"...or maybe not.

"Tesla Motors: Too Many Batteries, Not Enough Demand?"

Maybe he's also planning battery swap out stations for a future models? That would require more battery packs than cars if he can create s system of swapping for a fully charged pack in a couple of minutes.

5. Down not across

Too many batteries

Forbes also reports analyst concerns that the 500,000 batteries the factory will eventually produce each year will be in excess of anything it can ship in vehicles.

This would give credence to a Morgan Stanley report in August that the 'leccy car maker's ambitions go far beyond ferrying around the bourgeois, and will see the Tesla brand popping up as static storage for solar power kit.

Not to mention that as already proven in electric car, the batteries could well be of interest to other electric car makers.

Or perhaps Tesla is considering expanding into delivery van market. US postal service might also be potential customer for electric vehicles.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like