back to article Firefox 32 moves to kill MITM attacks

The Mozilla Foundation has stepped up its efforts to improve browser security with the launch of Firefox 32, adding public key pinning to try and protect users from man-in-the-middle and other attacks. The change is among a bunch of enhancements offered in the new version, now available for Windows, Mac, Linux and Android …

1. russell 6

New Firefox update killed my internet

Last night updated to Firefox v32 from v31 and it killed my internet, even IE on a fully patched Win 8.1 couldn't connect. Skype still worked though....Had to do a system restore to get back the old version 31. Now looking for the solution

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Re: New Firefox update killed my internet

it killed my internet

You have your own internet? Impressive.

Works just fine here on the other internet.

2. Kevin Johnston

Ah but..

Does this kill off my most hated MITM vector also known as 'Verified by Visa'?

That is such a secure model that as long as you know some basic trivia about a person you can reset the password. I no longer bother trying to remember it and do my best to avoid sites that inflict it on me.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ah but..

Verified by visa

Ah yes verified by visa... I've had this on a few occasions where I've gone to buy tickets and that extra layer of security has kicked in and I've been presented with random questions to answer that they think nobody else would be able to answer such as these gems -

What street have you been associated with?

Great question rock solid. You get given four answers three of which the streets don't exist according to a quick check of Google maps

Which of the following persons have you been associated with?

Another four answers three of which even my nieces and nephews would be able to deduce are completely made up names usually old fashioned first names with a rarely heard of surname... The remaining one had my surname and was my brother.. Never figured out how they knew it was my brother and to put his name in there as I am 100% certain I've never sent him money from that account and we've never resided at the same property for at least 20 years. Spooky one that I've never figured it out

Which phone number have you been associated with

Again four answers two dud area codes and one right area code and a clearly dud phone number and the right one.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

" completely made up names usually old fashioned first names with a rarely heard of surname"

Well, that should confuse the various fraudsters associated with the Dark Continent; they have yet to come up with fictitious identity whose name I found at all plausible.

2. Wensleydale Cheese

"Never figured out how they knew it was my brother and to put his name in there ..."

Let me guess.

You both have the same value in the "Mother's maiden name" field.

:-)

2. DrXym

It might be annoying that you have to pass a second stage of verification to complete a purchase but it does protect against fraud. It protects the merchant (because fraudsters won't bother with a site which is protected this way). It protects your card from fraudulent activity. And It gives Visa / Mastercard the chance to do extra authentication and traffic analysis that might spot fraudulent activity in progress - e.g. a bunch of failed transactions across an IP block in Romania is not a pattern that individual stores might spot but Visa / Master could.

And there is no reason either that the security questions have to be correct. If you're asked your mother's maiden name then enter something non obvious - e.g. Kerplop. If your asked your first car then enter Horsemax 5000. And so on. Store the answers in Password Safe so you can reference them. Now you're safe.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And there is no reason either that the security questions have to be correct. If you're asked your mother's maiden name then enter something non obvious - e.g. Kerplop. If your asked your first car then enter Horsemax 5000. And so on. Store the answers in Password Safe so you can reference them. Now you're safe.

The thing is I never set any of the security questions. I have no idea where it got my brothers name from and it also asked me which postcode I'd been associated with and the correct answer was one where this particular visa account had never been registered. Not sure how they generate these questions, but I've definitely not set them, because otherwise I would've put wrong answers to the questions, because as with what we've seen regarding Apple ID accounts you can use social engineering to get the correct answers

3. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

New CAs

Amongst the new root certificates added is one from this CA. If I can't even pronounce it then should I trust it?

CN = CA 沃通根证书

1. Anonymous Coward
      1. Malcolm 1

Re: New CAs

Well if you can't trust an accountant, who can you trust?

4. John Sanders
    Meh

At least this version..

Doesn't seem to be missing any old functionality.

And feels slightly more agile.

5. Reg T.

Call it what you like.

It is still "paid for" by Google. Whatever they have done - they will not "bite" the hand that feeds them.

1. John Gamble

Re: Call it what you like.

"It is still "paid for" by Google. Whatever they have done - they will not "bite" the hand that feeds them."

Okay... just what in the way of "biting" do you think Firefox should be doing? Because right now your comment looks like a context-free knee-jerk.

6. Richard Tector

DANE

Assuming endpoint support for DNSSEC, DANE (RFC6698) achieves something similar. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNS-based_Authentication_of_Named_Entities

Also, unless I've missed something, with the pinning approach your initial (and therefore subsequent visits) to the site are still at risk?

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: DANE

Apparently the currently supported sites are hard-coded so the first visit can't be compromised. Support for the site itself to specify the CA is coming in a later version and that can be compromised on the first visit.

There's a DNSSEC plugin for Firefox, it seems to work.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But...

... have they messed up the design any more? It seems to degrade from version to version.

8. Alan Brown Silver badge

Security updated

Now, what about that festering memory leak if you leave the thing running for days on end and keep opening/closing tabs?

1. DanceMan

Re: Security updated

Yes, absolutely that festering memory leak needs to be fixed.

9. Ian Johnston Silver badge

New features are all very well

But I do wish they'd get round to dealing with that whole "being a bloated cycle-sucking RAM vampire" thing as well.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like