back to article Sonos burns its Bridges: Our home-grown Wi-Fi mesh will do

Until now, wireless speaker bod Sonos has required a Bridge device connected to a home wireless router to set up a mesh wireless network delivering timed audio signals to the speakers in a zone. But no longer – Sonos is going bridge-free. What it's doing is layering features of its own Sonos Net onto standard Wi-Fi as a base …

1. gazzton

No, not quite

Until now, wireless speaker bod Sonos has required one Sonos device (either a player or a bridge) connected to a home wireless router to set up a mesh wireless network delivering . . .

There, fixed that for you.

Sonos does not require a separate Bridge device as every player has that functionality. The Bridge is used where it is not possible or is inconvenient to connect one of your players to your LAN. Or where you have a player not connected to your LAN and which is too far away from another connected device for a reliable signal i.e. the Bridge can be used as an extender by placing it part way between devices, though until this latest update it would need a physical connection be able to do that.

Every time I see something written about Sonos it always seems to contain basic misunderstandings about the need for a bridge and/or the "mesh"..

1. Vince

Re: No, not quite

Glad you clarified that, because I was about to do the same. I never saw any purpose for the bridge to be honest. Might be because CAT5e is everywhere in my world :-)

1. Gazareth

Re: No, not quite

I was going to say this too, although the article does go on to say the Bridge is still needed if you're going for the 5.1 setup.

I might be able to free up a plug & ethernet socket now!

2. c-hri-s

>There are two exceptions. When the Playbar, which connects to a TV source, is grouped with a sub –

>3:1 sound– and then a pair of Sonos players for surround sound – 5:1 – a Bridge will still be

>needed to co-ordinate the various players and ensure they are synchronised properly

You don't /need/ a bridge - you need /something/ wired. A speaker, or a bridge.

I don't have my bridge plugged in, yet my 5.1 works perfectly.

3. Matt 52

Eh?

Still a ridiculously expensive way to buy poor quality speakers.

1. Throatwobbler Mangrove

Re: Eh?

This article seems a bit...advertorial-y.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
        Pint

Re: Eh?

It was written for me personally apparently since my Bridge just blew up. Thanks El Reg.

4. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Once upon a time...

...I visited the residence of a coworker. His home theatre room had an extension cord running from the front to the back. He needed the thick orange cable to provide power behind the couch, for his nifty "wireless" rear speakers.

5. lglethal Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Got a give them credit...

A lot of companies having developed a proprietary system requiring extra bits of hardware would have stuck by their system indefinitely (if only to get the added sales involved in buying the proprietary bits of hardware).

So fair call to them, if they are dicthing the bridge because they dont need it anymore that's to be applauded. Have to say I'm quite happy with my Sonos system, but I might try switching over to the bridgeless system in the coming days. If nothing else, it saves me an extra bit of kit slurping the electrical juice!

1. Stacy

Re: Got a give them credit...

It is very laudable.

I'm trying to work out whether to wait for HiBerry to get there Digi+ to work with PiMusicBox (much cheaper option!) or to go for a Connect (looks pretty, has the same functionality) to play our FLAC collection and Spotify in the living room though our normal HiFi. If we can do this then the CDs taking up lots of space can finally be moved to storage!

One has geek value and is cheap, the other is likely to be easier (as I get older I see this as a benefit more and more) and will look better in the living room... As both have a COAX digital out I am assuming the sound will be the same...

6. davecurtains

Or do it properly and put everything on a nice CAT5 cable. Not always viable I know, but usually guaranteed to work regardless. Wireless is all very well and good and then it gets swamped by your neighbours Sonos too.

7. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Unhappy

Slimp3

Didn't the Slim Devices folks have this type of "works everywhere" system working about 10 years ago with an Open Source server? That was a splendid little system until Logitech bought it and killed it.

1. TinTinTeroo

Re: Slimp3

Yes they did, with a tasty little Burr-Brown 24 bit DAC thrown in.

Not was but still is a splendid little system.

Get yourself down to that eBay corner shop, you'll find one there.

2. Vince

I'm still using my Squeezebox Setup in preference to Sonos. Work's a treat.

1. Martin
        Headmaster

Work's?

But I'll forgive you this time, as a fellow Squeezebox user. Just don't understand Sonos - it seems very expensive for what it is.

I wonder how many Sonos users also have iPhones?

8. Truth4u

I was my home was so large wifi cant cover it. And a farady cage would be nice too.

9. Sir Runcible Spoon

Perfect timing

After a power cut (and multiple on/offs) on Friday my Bridge was fried and I've resorted to extending my ethernet.

Now I don't need to replace it, nice :)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like