back to article Claimed Home Depot credit card hack could be biggest retail breach yet

One of the US's largest home improvement chains is investigating whether its systems have been cracked by hackers, as one security researcher has claimed. "I can confirm that we’re looking into some unusual activity and we are working with our banking partners and law enforcement to investigate," the company told El Reg in a …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

The U.S. should move to chip-and-PIN anyway...

If nothing else, so that U.S. travelers can use their credit and bank accounts while overseas.

As for point-of-sale, it's really becoming a nightmare. The store personnel who work with them directly don't understand them well and are not highly educated in IT and security, and it's the one piece of "store equipment" that retailers are happy to have customers/pretend customers fiddle with, because usually that means they are about to buy something. And the terminals are balky enough that you can walk in off the street and do unusual things to the terminal as long as you are making/pretending to make a purchase and passing off your actions as "Wait, your card swiper doesn't seem to be working. Here, let me try doing this. There, that's got it/Eh, I'll just pay cash/Never mind, I don't want the item anymore."

1. kain preacher

Re: The U.S. should move to chip-and-PIN anyway...

Have you been to the USA?I We do have readers that chip and pin. It's credit card companies that refuse to issue chip and pin. It's mostly the small mom and pop stores that don't have chip and pin readers.

1. elDog

This is such a big load of "duh" that I refuse to comment upon it.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Kain Preacher,

I am an American, and I live in the USA. And yes, credit card companies make more money if they don't use chip-and-PIN, which is why the rollout has been slight in the U.S.

As far as overseas trips, I know a couple friends and myself have had some problems not having chip-and-PIN cards in the U.S., and one of my friends ran into problems paying for stuff in Canada.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

My last post should have read "not having chip-and-PIN cards in EUROPE"

(Problem is between chair and keyboard!)

3. Sven Coenye

It is fun to try too. I once used a European C&P card in a US store that did not realize they had a C&P capable reader. So: swipe card, reader complains: try the other slot. Total pandemonium ensued. No matter what, they were not going to use C&P and ended up rolling out the paper clack-clack machine to complete the transaction :-/

1. Alain

Yes, chip-and-PIN cards can cause a lot of confusion, even in unexpected places.

I had to teach Budget staff at Suvarnabhumi airport, Bangkok, Thailand a couple of months ago how the thing worked. They were extremely confused and about to tell me "sorry sir, transaction rejected" when their machine asked for a PIN code. Fortunately, Thai people usually are friendly and open, so they happily accepted my telling how european cards work :-)

And yes, that was unexpected at the counter of a multinational car rental company in a major S-E Asia airport! But hey, this is Thailand :-)

2. Neil McAllister

I've never had a problem using a US-issued credit or debit card overseas. Except in Japan, where with the exception of 7-Eleven pretty much no ATMs accept debit cards that weren't issued in Japan, and that goes for European chip-and-PIN cards, too.

One of my credit card companies just issued me a new card with a chip in it. That's the first time I've seen one from a US bank. The trouble is, it's "chip-and-signature." As in, the retailer can authenticate the chip somehow, but it needs no PIN to validate the transaction -- a signature will do. Based on what I've seen, proper chip-and-PIN in the US is still a long way off.

1. Tom 35

"The trouble is, it's "chip-and-signature." As in, the retailer can authenticate the chip somehow, but it needs no PIN to validate the transaction"

It has some use. If you try to swipe it on a terminal that supports chip it will tell you to insert the chip. So if anyone skims the mag strip they will only be able to use it on a terminal without chip support.

3. Triggerfish

I have been given the impression that there is some more fundamental security problems than that at the meat end. Someone who has just emigrated over there has told me he has been asked in many stores and restaurants if he is actually a legal immigrant.

However they have been quite happily accepting his wife's card without checking, at one place even going so far as to call an ex 6'3'' rugby player Mrs XXXX during the transaction.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Been across here seven years and still have my perfect BBC accent. Never been asked, by anyone, about my residency and, since 2012, my citizenship status. Nobody in retail gives a shit and not one of them is entitled to ask (it's actually illegal to ask in many states - even cops!). Everyone who is legal has, I guarantee it, a state drivers license and, if like mine, my credit cards say "See ID" then that license is proffered as ID when asked. Of course, one issue is that they only actually care enough to ask about one time in 10 at places I'm not known.

4. ecofeco Silver badge

They will one day. That day will be when they also have high speed trains.

In other words, not in our lifetimes.

Meanwhile the pwnage of the arrogant will continue.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

oh great...

My girlfriend got a new card after the Target breach...I guess she's going to get another one.

Me, I just have to go to the bank every two weeks to withdraw cash...

3. tempemeaty

What's the retail value of a eternal life...that second chance?

Some don't like the subject but many Americans believe the RFID or any other "Chip-in-card" solution is to close to that "Mark Of The Beast" issue. The question here is if the new sudden increase in point of sale data breaches is enough to sell the new "Chip-in-card" as the solution.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: What's the retail value of a eternal life...that second chance?

Well it's not the mark-of-the-beast, it's just we've seen the shit you guys have taken over the banks saying "oh chip&pin is completely invulnerable, it can repel bullets with its eyeballs, you must have told people your pin, therefore it's your fault and we're not refunding anything"

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: What's the retail value of a eternal life...that second chance?

They tried that early on, but after ample revelations of the existence of doctored C&P terminals have now been slapped down by the regulator

1. Tom 13

Re: have now been slapped down by the regulator

Yes, but we would still prefer to avoid that 3 to 5 year period before it gets slapped down on this side of the pond. Besides which, since the banks have been slapped down on your side of the pond, are they really that much more secure than swipe and sign? It strikes me that if you can't trust the POS terminal, the rest of the chain really doesn't matter. And essentially, the POS terminal has been the movie star in all these big data harvest stories.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Press coverage.

Lets see if we get 3+ months of coverage on this story, as this is bigger than the PSN hack in every way imaginable (more consumers 70m in this case) and actual creditcard details..

I think we know that it's going to be a different story this time, as Microsoft aren't behind the scenes manipulating things....

5. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Horse is already through the gate.

Yeah, similar sentiments here. I could only LOL @ "Protecting our customers' information is something we take extremely seriously" because all that really means is "Protecting our customers' information is something we take extremely seriously IF AND ONLY WHEN we are uncovered to be a bunch of incompetent fools".

I do also find that enforcing slightly more complex usernames does help a lot... especially since our implementation prohibits users from changing their usernames. So even if they have hopeless passwords chances are their username won't appear in a dictionary. It does help deter simpler bruteforce attempts on common account names.

The reality is though that it's actually not very complex to maintain a very decent level of security which would thwart the vast majority of random probes and script kiddies... if you run solo and are thus in full control of your kit. With larger organizations and larger IT teams it really does become a lot more difficult and a lot costlier to maintain an airtight network since weakest link etc etc etc.

6. channel extended

Back to DOS.

Since I doubt anyone is doing photo editing on a POS terminal let's all go back to DOS or linux terminal. That will make it easy to protect and program for.

BASH/BATCH scripts for everyone

7. frank ly

Translation

"we are aggressively gathering facts at this point while working to protect customers."

That's " ... frantically gathering facts while working to cover our backsides."

1. Fungus Bob

Re: Translation

"... frantically working to cover our backsides."

There, FTFY

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Chip and Dip

I pay cash

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"I can confirm that we’re looking into some unusual activity and we are working with our banking partners and law enforcement to investigate,"

They forgot to mention that the PR dept is cranking up the Reality Distortion Generator to "She'll nae take any more cap'n", just in case.

10. NP-Hardass

I hope this leads to change...

Disallow all third-party storage of credit card details. They clearly aren't doing a very good job with it.

11. Version 1.0 Silver badge

"and they run old or outdated operating systems"

That would be Windows Embedded for Point of Service - i.e. XP?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "and they run old or outdated operating systems"

"That would be Windows Embedded for Point of Service - i.e. XP?"

Probably. But ignoring the OS, what about the EPOS system? A few large European retailers use EPOS systems written entirely in Java which is bad enough. When you then learn that the individuals who designed and coded it have only recently been released from Her Majesty's hospitality for fraud then you might conclude that the retailers have not bought wisely.

Then again, with the slightly whiffy nature of many EPOS suppliers, often involving accounting standards that are a flexible friend, and sales/purchasing practices amongst both software vendors and the retailers that would make an Afghan drug dealer blush, things can only get worse.

12. The Grump
    Go

Oh boy...

This issue is so ripe for a BOFH story.

The boss walks into mission control, and asks how we can harden up our POS terminals against hacker attacks...

13. Panjok2

At what point do we realize that right now...cash is our best friend?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like