back to article Facebook, Google and Instagram 'worse than drugs' says Miley Cyrus

Offensively-and-dangerously-in-control of her sexuality popette Miley Cyrus has declared that social media is worse than drugs. In an interview with Australian news magazine program Sunday Night ahead of a tour down under, Cyrus was asked whether her use of marijuana has deleterious effects on her health. Her response was to …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Bucky O' Hare

Re: Took her/them so long to find out.

Really? It's not a fad and completely different. Just take a look at the numbers and growth, they're staggering.

Like or loathe it, social media is here to stay, and our kids will grow up never having known anything different.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. LarsG

Rough with the smooth

Most performers want adoration, swarms of fans and people to keep telling them how wonderful they are.

Unfortunately if honesty were to prevail we may comment on their drug use, the poor choice of outfit at the awards ceremony, their bad behaviour, the drink driving ban, being caught with a prostitute in a car, racist remarks being made etc etc etc.

In the real world life is different to the bubble most of these performers live in.

No wonder Google has so many right to be forgotten requests.

They are one dimensional people in a three dimensional world.

3. howiecrosby.co.uk

Lol The. Com bubble bounced back! Look at it now, they can sell for millions $

4. Tom 13

Bill is that you?

Still fuming over missing that whole internet thing and dismissing it as a fad I see. Oops, looks like you did it again with Social Media.

2. SisterClamp
    Happy

I didn't know she could read!

Good on her...or is this another form of her usual exhibitionism? Hmmmm...........

3. jake Silver badge

Funny thing is ...

... I actually agree with the latest silly little Louise Ciccone wannabee.

At least on the subject of so-called "social" networking addiction.

No, I don't smoke pot. Nor am I a Louise Ciccone fan.

1. frank ly

Re: Funny thing is ...

"... so-called "social" networking addiction."

You've posted many comments here Jake and you've often told us details of yourself and your domestic/personal activities and interests. This could be a slippery slope situation.

1. jake Silver badge

@ frank ly (was: Re: Funny thing is ...)

Yes, here on ElReg I have posted details about my life. And I have been contacted by folks I knew 30+ years ago because of those details. I welcome that contact. Friends are friends (or fiends, if you are lucky!).

To date, I have had absolutely zero skiddies/trolls figure out who I am based on posts here on ElReg.

The devil is in the details ... One of those details is that I'm "jake", not "Jake".

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: @ frank ly (was: Funny thing is ...)

"To date, I have had absolutely zero skiddies/trolls figure out who I am based on posts here on ElReg."

Because they're generally complete bollocks posted by a troll.

4. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Offensively-and-dangerously-in-control of her sexuality [citation needed]

Seriously, what the hell? Not sure whether it isn't just histrionic personality disorder.?

Additionally, I do not think getting one's worldview challenged and feeling less exceptional is a bad thing, and nor is getting seriously offended from time to time. But it's more rewarding to experience this outside of Facebook and Instagram, though not necessarily Google.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Neah...

It is "behave so badly that you are let out of the Hannah Montana contract" disorder. Successfully executed too.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well?

At least she can go online: the paper also finds that those who cannot access social networks are in trouble, as they fall on the wrong side of an emerging digital divide.

Typical. There are some of us who are not on the wrong side of the digital divide but who choose not to use Facebook, Twitter, Instageram etc etc forms of social media. I'd probably sing with delight if these ****** sites were shut down tomorrow.

For many they have become totally addictive and may even become a form of self-flagellation.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: Well?

Indeed - try job searching without a social profile. You are not going to get far.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Sorry, that may be the case in the US, but in Europe a "social profile" is not - yet - a requirement for finding a job.

6. dan1980

"The paper hypothesises that the many opinions found online can expose people to ideas that challenge their world view, make them feel less exceptional and, when opinions are strident or include hateful content, offend them."

This just in - different people have different opinions and world views, exposure to different world views may challenge ones own perceptions and, for the kicker, the world is a big and sometimes ugly place.

That kind of statement, quoted above, smacks of parents home-schooling their children to 'protect' them from incompatible world views. We can't have that - after all, if you are exposed to the the whole gamut of human beliefs and opinions - beliefs and opinions they hold just as strongly as you hold yours - you might just realise that your own world view owes little to any absolute or objective truth or right-ness and much to your upbringing and circumstances.

Keep going down that road and you might learn that the world isn't black-and-white and even, if things go particularly bad, to see the that grey world from other peoples' point of view.

Also - breaking news - if you stand up on a street corner broadcasting your personal ideologies and opinions to the public then some people will disagree and some of those will do so loudly and/or impolitely.

Miley Cyrus has a right to express herself. Everyone else, however, has the right to judge her and the right to express that judgement.

Sure people can be cruel, arrogant, callous, spiteful dicks. But, just like in patents, adding 'on the Internet' doesn't magically make it some new phenomenon.

7. Chairo

Side effects of education

online can expose people to ideas that challenge their world view, make them feel less exceptional ...

As do most forms of education. But is that really such a bad thing?

8. Diogenes

"The paper hypothesises that the many opinions found online can expose people to ideas that challenge their world view, make them feel less exceptional and, when opinions are strident or include hateful content, offend them."

But when Facepalm and goggle actively "curate" what they show you (refer TED talk by Eli Parisier on infobubbles) then you may go through life seeing nary a contrary opinion & when reality does smack you in the face you realise that not everybody thinks as you do

9. Elmer Phud

Expert?

Blimey, a couple of over-publicised spliffs and she's an bleedin' expert?

O.K. maybe a line of something as well)

Booze is the real culprit here -- how much 'social' stuff is done post-pub?

I won't be getting an achy-breaky heart over it.

10. Piers

...they fall on the wrong side of an emerging digital divide...

..but would apparently, according to the research, be happier (have a better value of 'life satisfaction').

11. thomas k.

no need for social media

I can devolve to bat-shit crazy entirely on my own, tyvm.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmmmmm, young girls following her online may be damaging to their grey matter, but those young girls following her in her destructive drug abuse is something else.

At least she'll be able to afford rehab when she hits rock bottom, but those of today's children who will follow her into the fantastic dismay that seems so wonderful right now may not be so lucky and may have to seek the help of a friendly neighbourhood pimp to keep them going.

I know this is sweeping and there are people who can use recreational drugs in a 'responsible' way, but the price of celebrity isn't always paid by the celebrity and there are lives led into tragedy while the celebrity makes headlines with every step.

1. Tom 13

Re: price of celebrity isn't always paid by the celebrity

I think in the end the celebrity always pays the price, sometimes even with interest. Which doesn't mean they don't cause a hell of a lot of collateral damage along the way.

13. John Savard

Wow!

Of course, this wording makes me suspect that El Reg is already making fun of the Italian group, since this sounds like (they're failing to realize that) what is really dangerous is living an overly sheltered life.

14. skeptical i

Not to blame the victim here ...

... but perhaps if she didn't act like such a silly git so often her press coverage would not be so ego- bruising? She certainly has the right (some would say "obligation") to act in ways that provoke media coverage, but it is disingenuous at best to feign shock -- shock, I say! -- that some of the resulting coverage has been less than positive. Such is the price of celebrity. (Caveat, of course, that one can lead a saintly life of good works and still get busted down by some internet troll.)

1. Desidero

Re: Not to blame the victim here ...

Act like a silly git? Over the last 12 months she's built herself into a serious franchise with her coming-of-age schtick. Tacky, sure, but very very profitable. I'm sure she could be singing church hymns and visiting art museums and raising money for the needy, but ain't gonna happen soon.

1. Tom 13

Re: built herself into a serious franchise

No, she built herself into a serious franchise a long time ago. She may be trying to change the perception of that franchise at the moment. How well she'll be doing 12 months from now is another issue.

1. Desidero

Re: built herself into a serious franchise

Disney/dad built that franchise. This one's her own.

15. Cipher
    Facepalm

When I want know what's bad for my brain, I ask a doctor, not a tart de jour...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like