back to article Gang behind '1.2 billion' megahack ransack is pwning our customers – hosting firm

Anecdotal evidence is emerging that the Russian botnet raiders behind the "biggest-ever" password theft have begun attacks against web services using stolen login credentials. The CyberVor gang is reported to have amassed a vast stockpile of compromised login credentials for "1.2 billion" accounts, Hold Security warned in …

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Trollface

NAMECHEAP: I must reiterate this is not a security breach at Namecheap, nor a hack against us

EL REG: If nothing else, the hack against Namecheap underlines the danger of password re-use.

Unsure about the situation?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Unsure about the situation?

...Yes, we're pretty sure that since we don't know for certain, that it must be that thing that happened to ....errrrrr......someone else, and therefore, re-use is why we're being attacked. 'Cause NameCheap doesn't do it on the ..... ahhhhhh.....cheap.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Unsure about the situation?

Maybe they don't use SSL? Care to comment on that 'El Reg?

2. Stretch

seems like a reasonable response all round from them.

3. Sureo

They're going to log in to my Facebook account! Damn! Oh wait, I don't have a Facebook account....phew!

4. Sebastian A

So if this list is out there....

How can I find out if any credentials for any of my by-now-hundreds of logins for various sites and services are on them?!?

(edit: legally, that is. Or do I have to torrent it and look for myself?)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like