back to article Flurry of solar flare-ups sets off cosmic plasma explosion

Footage of solar flares taken by the NASA Solar Dynamics Observatory. The Sun had a flurry of flare activity at the end of August, releasing over half a dozen solar flares in a day, some of which were accompanied by coronal mass ejections. NASA’s Solar Dynamics Observatory spotted the activity in images captured at extreme …

1. James 51

These are the types of stars and their explosive tempers I want to watch on a Saturday evening.

2. ravenviz Silver badge
    Mushroom

Cool!

Er, I mean: Hot!

3. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

appropriate misread?

"..captured at extreme ultravioleNt wavelengths..."

I REALLY need to get new glasses. And possibly relax more...

1. Dan Paul

Re: appropriate misread?

Nah, sit back with a nice cuppa Moloko Milk.....

4. SysKoll

Awww, the Wegistew is baby talking to us

"CMEs are usually caused by large flares and can release up to a hundred billion kilos of super-heated electrons, protons and heavy nuclei at speeds of up to two million miles per hour."

In non-babytalk units: up to a hundred million tonnes ... up to 900 km/s.

The author needs to make up his mind: either admit we readers are adults and understand moderately scientific articles, or stop trying to report astronomy news to the mass of drooling morons he decided we are.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

I must agree that I would appreciate a bit of consistency. If one starts with metric units to quantify something, I have always found it irritating to see the next measurement in imperial units, or vice-versa.

Let's at least stick to one system of measurement, please ?

Oh, and one other thing : I very much doubt that the Sun can only spew forth a paltry hundred million tons at a time. The wiki page on CMEs states that average mass is 1.6×10^12kg (i.e. 1.6 billion tons), and that that measurement is a lower limit because of the detection method.

5. Joe Gurman

Uh, no.

CMEs are not caused by flares, though they may, for all we know, be linked to a common disruption of the magnetic field in a solar active region. A small fraction of CMEs have no apparent, associated, flare. A large fraction of flares are associated with no CME whatsoever.

Flares are high power events (lots of energy released in a short span of time), and are purely radiative events, though they may be associated with eruptive phenomena such as sprays, surges, erupting prominences (filaments), and CMEs. CMEs generally display higher total energy, in the form of kinetic energy, than flares. The largest CMEs are generally associated with intense flares, but not necessarily vice versa.

Correlation does not imply causality.

OK, @SysKoll, how'd I do on not insulting your intelligence?

6. WalterAlter
    Devil

Let's see, massive quantities of high energy electrons and ions in a plasma. Would it be appropriate to call this a SOLAR ELECTRIC CURRENT? www.thunderbolts.info

7. Mark 85

Solarian test firing?

One of these days or eons, they'll get the targeting system dialed in and we'll be toast.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: Solarian test firing?

Every so often one hits us. Google for "Carrington event"

8. Faux Science Slayer

Thunderbolts Project and the Electric Universe....

We live in a false paradigm reality bounded by faux science, fake history, filtered news and financed with a fiat currency. Luckily the new Gutenberg press, the INTERNET is causing a New Renaissance and humanity will be freed of this ancient feudal mantle. The Sun is not a giant Hydrogen ball, visit the afore mentioned Thunderbolts research on the correct models of our Universe.

1. mr.K
      Happy

Re: Thunderbolts Project and the Electric Universe....

I do not think arguments will have any effect here. So...hug?

*huggles*

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like