back to article Not even CRIMINALS want your tablets, Blighty - but if that's an iPhone you're waving...

UK smartphone thieves prefer iPhones while their light-fingered counterparts in Germany favour Android, according to the results of a new survey. Mobile security firm Lookout's Phone Theft in Europe study found iPhones are the most popular target of theft in the UK. 39 per cent of stolen phones in Blighty are iPhones, …

1. The Original Steve

Stating the obvious

But Shirley is the phone is in ones pocket then the thief can't know the OS it's running... Is there a greater proportion of Droid devices in DE compared to iOS and the opposite in the UK... Sounds a bit odd that a thief will actively target a device. By their nature they'll take what they can get.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Stating the obvious

The reported iphone theft levels are somewhat above the prevailing market share of the device in each market. So the iPhone market share in the UK is circa 30%, in Germany circa 20%, but theft levels are in both cases around 10% higher.

What that might suggest is that iPhone users are more likely to hang out in locations where the crims conduct their trade, or are simply more careless in both making their phone ownership obvious to others ("Hallo! HALLO! I'm on the train! I SAID I'M ON THE TRAIN WITH MY NEW SHINEY IPHONE 5S), and more careless in looking out to avoid having their phone stolen.

You can argue from this that iPhone users have better social lives, but are a bit gormless. Or you could just argue that it reflects the market share in the demographic that hangs around nightclubs, and that anybody with a phone in a nightclub should expect to have it stolen.

Assuming devices are replaced like for like, the higher theft levels are a nice contributor to Apple's extravagant profits.

1. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

@Ledswinger...

The reported iphone theft levels are somewhat above the prevailing market share of the device in each market.

Market share is a measure of how many new models of each type are being sold per month or quarter. Thieves are, however, stealing from the installed base.

Despite Android stealing considerable marketshare in recent years, Apple's installed base leads Android's for various reasons (Apple's product is longer on the market; all iPhones are high-cost handsets and thus have a longer expected working life whereas only some Androids are in this price category; iPhone customers are on longer contracts, etc.).

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: @Kristian Walsh

"Market share is a measure of how many new models of each type are being sold per month or quarter. Thieves are, however, stealing from the installed base."

That is 100% correct, but I'm not sure that your subsequent assertions about Apple products having a longer service life are correct - Apple buyers are inherently of the magpie persuasion, and the traded in phones are often exported or even scrapped (no point in diluting the premium market). On the other hand a second hand Android, particularly mid to low end is worth far less when exported.

The time series data that I've seen suggested that broadly speaking the market shared had held up for the past two or three years, so I'll acknowledge your challenge when you can find better data on the installed base of devices - a quick google suggests that the installed base is dominated by Android in all major markets for which data is available, so I think my argument stands until further notice?

2. Stuart Castle Silver badge

"But Shirley is the phone is in ones pocket then the thief can't know the OS it's running."

Depends where the phone was nicked. I travel fairly regularly on the London Underground and often see people hanging around the above-ground station exits (checking texts etc as they suddenly have a signal). All a thief would need to do is watch a station entrance, pick someone, follow them and quietly take the phone when the opportunity presented itself. It would be difficult for the victim detect they are being followed at some of the busier stations (especially in the West End as the thief would just appear to be one of the thousands walking up the street). Something that the Police do regularly remind people of.

3. Tom 38

German pickpockets will place your iphone back in your pocket, along with a flyer indicating 24 reasons why you should purchase an android next time..

Seriously though:

a) Phone theft is an opportunistic crime

b) iphone is vastly less popular in Germany

c) iphones are very popular amongst the kind of demographic in the UK that would do daft things like leave their mobile unattended in a bar

I don't think that last one is even theft, it is wealth redistribution by lack of intelligence.

1. Seanie Ryan

i'd say its that German crim's are just more intelligent than Blighty's moron 5finger-discounter.

They know the iPhone has the iCloud kill-switch and is harder to shift on, so target the easy to re-sell Android devices.

2. NumptyScrub
        Meh

quote: "c) iphones are very popular amongst the kind of demographic in the UK that would do daft things like leave their mobile unattended in a bar

I don't think that last one is even theft, it is wealth redistribution by lack of intelligence."

Taking something that belongs to another person (whether by force, deception, or opportunity), that you do not have their permission to take, is still theft.

Just because most of us would expect it to happen, doesn't make it any less a crime.

1. Tom 38

I get that legally it is "theft", but that is mainly because of how laws are structured.

Each month the government takes money from me that belongs to me. The reason it is not theft is that they have passed laws to say that in this case they can deprive me of my possessions legally. You could argue this isn't the same, that I have given them permission...

if the government passed a law that said that unattended items in public are considered abandoned, then it is no longer someone else's possession, and so the person who takes it is simply recycling/cleaning up waste.

I'm not saying they should; I guess what most riles me is that there are times that your phone is actually stolen - someone grabs it out of your hand or physically threatens you - and in those situations, it would be handy to have mobile phone insurance so that it can easily be replaced.

However, purchasing mobile phone insurance means subsidising those in society who do not treat their phone as a stack of 25x£20 notes that they carry around in their pocket. No thanks.

3. veti Silver badge

I have a Windows phone, you insensitive clod!

I expect the pickpocket to put it back with a note reading "Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!"

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What's the worst that could happen?

The thief taps you on the shoulder and hands back the phone he just took out of you pocket and in his heavy Eastern European accented voice he says.

"Sorry fella, but I hav to give you back phone, apology fella but zis phone no good piece of shit, you buy Apple next time yes?"

2. i like crisps

Lots of stats, but...

...It would have been interesting to see the ethnic breakdown of the thieves who were caught...you know....just to see if a pattern emerged.

1. Steve Knox

Re: Lots of stats, but...

Really? Just out of curiosity, what would such a pattern tell you?

1. Ralph B

It could indicate either the prevalent ethnicity of the thieves, or the prevalent ethnicity of the thieves targetted by the police. I'm not sure how these could be disintangled.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Really? Just out of curiosity, what would such a pattern tell you?

Nothing he doesn't already "know".

2. Crazy Operations Guy

I would imagine that the thieves' ethnicities would be in similar proportion to those of the population at large.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Lots of stats, but... @ I like crisps

Nail on the head, you have just touched on the 'don't you dare go there' debate.

Just like the Rochdale child grooming investigation there are those that shy away from saying it as it is just in case someone started screaming 'you racist' at them.

Rumour has it that much of this is down to Romanian gangs of pickpockets, there I have said it so go ahead and vilify me. The Labour run council in in collusion with other organisations in Rochdale hid the truth and I leave it to you to decide why. Personally. I thing it went a lot higher up the hierarchy than this.

3. GitMeMyShootinIrons

Ah ha!

So proving the superiority of Windows Phone - no problems with theft as thieves apparently aren't interested!

4. Crazy Operations Guy

It might make me look like a yuppie...

... but I've taken the tack of using a Bluetooth headset to operate my phone while the phone itself is either secured in my laptop bag or in a buttoned pocket of my suit jacket. I've never lost a phone, but I have lost a few headsets; but losing a $30-40 headset is a far better option than losing my phone filled with company secrets and personal information.

5. Vector

But, but, but..!

That iPhone "find my phone" thingie has made iPhones very undesirable to criminals!

At least, that's the justification lawmakers here in California used to pass their nifty new kill switch legislation.

6. JaitcH
    Happy

It would help if companies built in...

security such as a hole where the hand strap could be looped.

Even the damn Samsung Note 3 didn't have provision for a loop. And they have all sorts of real estate.

What I did was to X-ray my Note 3, figure out a location where I could safely drill a hole and NOW I HAVE SECURITY!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like