back to article SHARE 'N' SINK: OneDrive corrupting Office 2013 files

OneDrive users are complaining that Microsoft's sync 'n' share service corrupts Office 2013 files when they attempt to open them. Answers.microsoft.com threads like this one explain that it is impossible to open some files stored in OneDrive – Excel files seem especially susceptible – from machines other than the one that …

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Devil

Microsoft sickly share not working?

Deal with it!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Overly harsh maybe

Am I being overly critical in wondering if the new deity "cloud" should transcend local regional holidays?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Overly harsh maybe

The new deity is expected to transcend all previous standards in the world of software, so yes, it should also be expected to transcend local holidays on whichever planet the cloud-worshippers find themselves.

I don't know when the holidays are because I don't know what planet the cloud-worshippers are on.

3. P. Lee
    Coat

lol, "tight integration."

How bad is it when your operating system picks a particular application's data to scramble!

The question is, why is the OS messing with the data at all?

1. MacroRodent
      Windows

Re: lol, "tight integration."

"The question is, why is the OS messing with the data at all?"

Indeed. I always thought OneDrive is just a bit store when used via the syncing feature, but Microsoft seems to have "added value" to it. I use OneDrive (hence the icon) but approach it with Windows7 and LibreOffice, and have not seen any corruption so far.

2. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

content is replaced by gibberish and hexadecimal codes.

Sounds like a character encoding problem. UTF-8/UTF-16 or some similar misconversion? Does Win8 have a different default to previous releases?

1. Martin Milan

Excel files are basically just zip files anyway - containing a load of xml.

I've been there - I've seen things!

Martin

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"content is replaced by gibberish and hexadecimal codes."

Are we sure it's not a Perl script? Maybe a slightly hexed up AMFM post?

If I had a coat, I'd get it. Thanks anyway.

ps

Are we also sure something's not just gone wrong with their disk de-duplicating, in an unforeseen way?

4. channel extended

Excel file structure.

It seems as if even MS doesn't understand Excel files!

1. Kev99 Silver badge

Re: Excel file structure.

You just realizing that? Apparently you've never had to use Word & Excel at the same time. I'm not even sure the two bloated cows are from the same planet.

5. Arachnoid

If its only readable on the origional device

Does that not suggest some form of local key encryption issue?

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Re: If its only readable on the origional device

It does. However what the hell MS think they are doing by once again putting in vendor specific application (filetype) hacks into their remote file synchronisation service, who knows? However this is Microsoft and they have form for putting in place incredibly stupid and narrow hacks for their own applications rather than actually fixing anything or doing anything sensibly in the first place.

My guess is that it's most likely to do with ghastly hack workarounds on excel partial file locks that don't play nicely with the synchronisation code that went into W8 to underpin encrypted transmission of data to Microsoft's cloud servers. AFAIK Windows 8 has this feature built in at a lower level and Windows 7 doesn't - or at the very least, it is implemented at a non-cloud specific file system level on Win 7.

6. SVV

Office 358

And counting down........

Who would have predicted that something like this would have happened given their long track record of proven expertise in the online hosting world...Erm, apart from me that is?

At least Excel users will have had a few days away from the horror of spreadsheets.

7. GitMeMyShootinIrons

Fortune favours the foolish....

I've had no problems with Office 2013 docs on OneDrive, however, I am VERY foolish.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Assuming this is an encryption issue

It seems we want to have it both ways. We don't want cloud data encrypted so that it will only work with a particular machine, and we also don't want naughty people to look at our nude pictures.

I'm sure there is an elegant tradeoff in the middle, somewhere around the Dropbox solution, but that still requires the average user to cope with an additional level of complexity, such as remembering user names and passwords and basing the encryption on them. This currently seems to be the big problem; users want complete simplicity of use, and it isn't possible to have that plus security.

1. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge
      Joke

Re: Assuming this is an encryption issue

Please, stop victim blaming.

9. Steve Foster
    Joke

Makes a nice change...

...from Office 2013 corrupting Office 2013 documents.

10. MatthewSt

Good timing

https://twitter.com/onedrive/status/504372725897785345

Maybe you can't say your dog ate your OneDrive, but it would appear you can say OneDrive ate your homework!

11. Kev99 Silver badge

The Cloud is where it's at. NOT!

As I've said before, anyone fool enuff to fall for the hype that storing their data on "The Cloud" is safe & secure deserves to be hosed.

12. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Trollface

Impressive

Once upon a time, Microsoft only managed to make its Office files incompatible with older versions.

Now, Microsoft has made its own Office files incompatible between its own OSes !

Now that's what I call progress !

13. PeterM42
    FAIL

Microsoft FAILS again.

AKA - "You store your data WHERE?!?!?!?!"

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Microsoft's dog turd ecosystem simply cannot be trusted

Even the very basic act of delivering patches for your PC through Windows Update cannot be trusted these days. There's a good chance that one rogue patch may brick your computer.

The Windows App Store? Infested with scamware. Of course, how else would you massively inflate the number of apps and then use it to boast about gaining traction in market share?

Don't expect it to get any better, expect it to get worse. Things do not happen by coincidence, and these are symptoms of layoffs and cost cutting.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like