back to article Tesla to add charging network in China

Tesla has announced that it intends to build a huge charging network in China: 400 stations in 120 cities, and 20 supercharging stations. The company, which recently announced it had started work on a charging network in Australia, has told Bloomberg the network will be built under an agreement with mobile phone company China …

1. Mark 85

400 charging stations?

Really..? I have to wonder how many Teslas have been sold there to merit this. Or maybe it was just one imported and the rest are pirated copies?

1. Dr Zoidberg

Re: 400 charging stations?

Would you buy an ICE car if there were no petrol stations? Obviously the charging network needs to be established to stimulate demand.

1. Mark 85

Valid point. Though having electricity at the home/business might negate that argument. I'm wondering how many Chinese could really afford one.

1. Goldmember

"I'm wondering how many Chinese could really afford one."

It's a rapidly expanding market. There's a new middle class emerging in China, consisting of people who traditionally haven't been able to afford luxuries. If things continue as they are, there will be a HUGE demand for new cars there in the near future. It's a gamble for Tesla, but if the government subsidizes electric cars as expected, it's one which could really pay off.

Also, having a network of well-placed charging stations is an attractive prospect for people. I was in the Trafford Centre over the weekend, where there's an electric car charging station. I was surprised to see it quite full, mostly consisting of shoppers' Nissan Leafs (leaves?), just getting a top up while they went shopping/ eating for a few hours. I think it's safe to assume they'll all have charging facilities at home.

2. Dr Zoidberg

Racist much? China has the second most millionaires in the world.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Timing

Interesting development, as this morning, the "History in Pictures" twitter feed had a pic of an electric car being charged - in 1905.

https://twitter.com/HistoryInPics/status/506626328096149505/photo/1

3. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
    Facepalm

China United Network Communications

Ohhhh, *so* close!

GJC

1. Goldmember

Re: China United Network Communications

Maybe they'd consider a name change to Telecommunications if Musk stumped up the cash...?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like