back to article Europol picks Brit to lead new international cybercrime taskforce

European police agency Europol has launched an counter-cybercrime taskforce. The Joint Cybercrime Action Taskforce (J-CAT) will coordinate international investigations into malware distribution, hacking and underground cybercrime forums. J-CAT, which is being piloted for six months, will be based at the European Cybercrime …

1. James 51

Suddenly I am filled with the joys of Spring. No, truely.

2. i like crisps
    Facepalm

His name is...

INSPECTOR GADGET....do, de, do, de, do, de, do.

3. Elmer Phud

I wonder . . .

. . . how long it will be before their homepage is pwnd?

4. Message From A Self-Destructing Turnip

J-CAT

The dope smokin, cybercrime fightin,feline superhero to the rescue!

5. Chris G

Permanent Pilot

A pilot scheme for six months and the spokesman says:

"For the first time in modern police history a multi-lateral PERMANENT cybercrime taskforce has been established in Europe to coordinate investigations against top cybercriminal networks," Oerting said in a statement.

How does that work then?

1. Beau
      Holmes

Re: Permanent Pilot

"How does that work then?"

A very good question indeed, I do so hope everyone can speak French fluently.

Otherwise every word written or spoken, from "Good morning" onwards will just have to be translated by an official translator, into all six languages.

Six months will soon pass.

6. Mark 85

Well, it had potential anyway...

But in 6 months.. secure offices, experts, etc.... up and operational in what? 6 months? 1 year? This is a bureaucracy we're looking at and an international one at that. Hopefully, it will work better than the UN but we'll have to see.

7. Tom 35

How long before

I becomes a tool of movie studios and record labels.

8. notafish

"For the first time in modern police history"?

I.e., the ancient Greeks had a counter-cybercrime taskforce, and so did Victorian England, but they don't count...

9. JaitcH
    FAIL

Just how much more success than the ...

US version will it have ... which is running near zero?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like