back to article HP: NORKS' cyber spying efforts actually a credible cyberthreat

North Korea is ramping up its cyber spying efforts to the point where it is becoming a credible threat against Western enterprises and government, security researchers at HP warn. North Korea’s cyber warfare capabilities are of particular interest to national security analysts and policy makers but the wider IT industry would …

1. hammarbtyp
    Joke

The conspiracy becomes clear...

"North Korea even uses “trolling” as a PSYOP tactic"

It's all so clear now.

All those derogatory comments on register forums about windows 8 were just North Korea's attempt to introduce fear and doubt into imperialist western industry by promoting lesser OS so that Kim Jong Un would not fall even further behind the wests technology curve (currently red hat 4.1)

As a matter of national security all register trolls should be traced and deported back to Pyongyang forthwith.

1. joeW

Re: The conspiracy becomes clear...

So Eadon was a representative of Best Korea? It would explain a lot.

1. Tsiklon

i forgot about him, did he ever resurface?

1. joeW

Not that I know of. Whether he was actually as anti-MS as he seemed, or was just stirring the pot for shits and giggles, I do not know - but nothing of value was lost by his banning in any event.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I managed to track traffic of some rather serious trolls that were hellbent upon causing unrest in certain regions to this particular entity.

I'll remind you of this: "Although North Korea’s cyber infrastructure may not measure up to that of wealthier nations, the regime is making significant progress in developing capable and technically trained forces..."

The PRC has quite an exemplary cyber operations unit and education programme. Within that programme is various dialects of English, such as UK, Australian, New Zealand and US English educated upon.

It's quite good.

I am unable to go further, due to various NDA signatures.

4. asdf
      Trollface

The Norks better be careful because the 4chan /b/ counterattack will be brutal all 4 teh lulz.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

North Korea is ramping up its cyber spying efforts ..

Luckly, we here in free world have the American NSA and British GCHQ to protect us ..

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Re: North Korea is ramping up its cyber spying efforts ..

"Luckly, we here in free world have the American NSA and British GCHQ to protect us .."

Well, if it's any consolation, there is the US NSA, the US DoD, the US DHS and more "protecting us".

For every charm there is a countercharm.

For every mousetrap, there is a smarter mouse.

To be honest, today's weapon of WMD is an exceptionally cheap one. Education and network access. No Manhattan project, no adding hydrogen species to the mixture, simple network access and education.

I'm an information security professional and one with US DoD experience watching raw logs.

We'll suffice it to say that I'm rather alarmed, not by this, just overall open atmosphere nuclear testing of information warfare.

The harm that can result from some actions *can* result in the use of WMD's.

For, all sides are village idiots and insist upon pushing things in some ways. It'll only take one off programme individual or group to run it all off of civilized information warfare into ruins.

As in, the nuclear clock should be two seconds from midnight.

Worse, I'm an optimist in my field.

3. i like crisps
    Big Brother

What's that rattling noise coming from HP?

Oh, it's alright, it's only HP shaking their money tin....whats it say on the front?...oh, "Donatons for cyber security research, from the US Taxpayer gratefully received".

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Re: What's that rattling noise coming from HP?

Save that HP wasn't the *only* source. It's only the only trivially available publicly available source.

But, whatever. I know what I saw in the traffic and logs, you know far better than I, based upon your Twinkie encrusted sofa in mom's basement.

1. asdf

Re: What's that rattling noise coming from HP?

When ever I hear dick wagging bragging on an El Reg forum its generally safe to discount whatever drivel is being spewed. You may have some good points but even the sun shines on a dog's balls occasionally.

4. Alan Brown Silver badge

Misdirection

"Instead, many regime-sponsored attacks are launched from cells based in China, US, South Asia, Europe, and even South Korea.

Such "cells" are likely to be the zombie army at work. It's far easier to run through anonymising botnets than it is to risk your people being caught on the ground.

It's funny how they assume physical presence is required to be a threat.

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Re: Misdirection

"Instead, many regime-sponsored attacks are launched from cells based in China, US, South Asia, Europe, and even South Korea."

Interestingly enough, various nations learned the value of buffer nations. China learned of it far, far, far long ago.

The west learns of it at variable lengths of time.

I'm honestly uncertain if the UK or US has the longest record. There were a few gaps, the longest being the US, but some, erm, effort has since been expended...

5. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Late to the party

They only just noticed this? It's been going on for years.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. This post has been deleted by its author

1. asdf

Re: HP should $TFU

Lenovo already kicks HP ass in some markets. I dare say these days there isn't a whole lot HP does that some Chinese company doesn't do better and cheaper.

8. Kev99 Silver badge

Hacking into defense nets? That makes me feel safe

I have one little question. If all the electronic traffic generated by the various militaries is so secret and sensitive, why is it going across what appears to be the "public" networks?

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Re: Hacking into defense nets? That makes me feel safe

"If all the electronic traffic generated by the various militaries is so secret and sensitive, why is it going across what appears to be the "public" networks?"

OK, a primer. First, the traffic is *not* typically over "public" networks. It is over private networks, with various means of encryption, but with internet access.

That leaves a dozen rather sweet spots of vulnerability and more less sweet spots open.

Laundry, food, toilet requirements and more are unclassified and hence, are transmitted on (hopefully) private network connections back home.

Well, that (hopeful) is only that, if a server or certain workstations can "see" said traffic.

Now, here in the real world, food requirements and laundry is the *least* of that which is transmitted on unclassified networks.

One also must include vendors supplying the needs of the defense requirement.

So, what is *your* suggestion?

I'm quite certain it will be outside of mission requirements or general reality.

9. John Savard

GPS

How devilishly clever of the North Koreans to demonstrate their ability to jam GPS signals - or to test their ability to jam GPS signals - on South Korean ships during a military exercise. Not.

Now the U.S. knows they have this ability, and will be working on countermeasures, which will no doubt be ready in time for when such an ability might have proved actually useful.

Of course, possibly North Korea had an immediate tactical goal, such as trying to get one of those South Korean vessels to sail into their waters as a "provocation", or to be captured. Otherwise, it's the sort of shallow posturing that North Korea seems to have made its trademark.

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Re: GPS

@John Savard, erm, it's a *bit* more complicated than that.

First, you confuse network centric warfare with electronic warfare, which are two entirely different things, that *may* coincide in some operations.

Second, you manage to ignore the hell out of global history in not noticing North Korea *is*, was and will remain a satellite state of the PRC. That news is only thousands of years old.

Strange that you missed the memo, I got the memo around... Genesis.

10. chivo243 Silver badge
    Gimp

Where can I apply?

A state sanctioned hackfest and you get paid? I think there's a lot more cyber fire power in the Asia than meets they eye.

11. ForthIsNotDead

So...

North Korea do the same things as the USA and the UK and <insert country of choice here>.

And?

12. Fungus Bob
    Linux

Have the Norks been reading Linux Journal?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like