back to article Sit tight, fanbois. Apple's '$400' wearable release slips into early 2015

Apple will reportedly not unleash a wearable device at Cupertino's iPhone 6 event on 9 September. And - when the iWatch does arrive - rumours suggest it could carry a $400 price tag. It apparently means fanbois will have a longer than expected wait for the iWatch, which according to Re/Code - citing secret sources - involves …

1. Scott Earle
    FAIL

Sigh

This is obviously from the "reporting rumors as fact" school of 'journalism'.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sigh

Apple's production prowess?

Apple doesn't produce anything. They outsource to Foxconn and others.

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

So...

an as yet unknown and unannounced product that might be a 'wearable' device will suffer an unknown delay in availability to the general public.

We really have no idea about the functionality of this device and how it might stack up against any others in the same market segment. Until we do we can't gauge how much the Fanbois will be crying into ther empty Christmas Stockings.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Next year is 'Apple Refresh Year' for me...

New iPhones, new iPads, new iMac, new Apple TV for my new B&O, a new mac book air, and all retina too.

So the watch can wait... Besides, who really wears smart watches anyway?

1. ThomH

Re: Next year is 'Apple Refresh Year' for me...

Increasingly many people wear fitness bands — the Fitbit, the Jawbone, etc. It's not completely unreasonable to think that a product from amongst those could become genuinely mainstream. Whether it'd be Apple's though, I don't know; if it's tied to the iPhone then probably not just based on marketshare. Though they were smart enough not to keep the iPod as exclusive to the Mac so hopefully they wouldn't do anything so foolish with a potential watch.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: increasingly

well starting off from a userbase of near zero, anything is "increasingly". Doesn't mean it is "significant"

1. ThomH

Re: increasingly @AC

I've met a lot more people wearing health bands in 2013 and 2014 than I met people with MP3 players in 2000 and 2001. Yet I feel like I probably know more people who like to listen to music than I do people who want to know metrics about their health.

There's a distinction in that MP3 players were clear what's next in an evolving form whereas health bands are probably a fad, but it's still a smart market to get into. Samsung has incorporated heart rate monitors into several of its watch offerings based on the same calculus.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

>So the watch can wait... Besides, who really wears smart watches anyway?

Not many people at the moment. Still, before iPads and Android tablets I hadn't seen many people using touch-based keyboard-less computers (just the occasional surveyor or mechanic.)

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

>whereas health bands are probably a fad,

For younger people, maybe... but for older people with, say, heart conditions, 'tele-medicine' is going to pushed ever more by the NHS (and insurance companies) on cost grounds.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Production prowess not........

Have you tried IOS 8 beta 5 ?

Quite obviously it is much work in progress. But at least they are making a brave attempt to catch up to the Android advantage.

5. PaulM 1

Apple fanbois will buy anything with an Apple logo on it

Jimmy Kimmel put an Apple sticker on the back of a $20 Casio watch and Apple fanbois said that they thought it was great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9JQsXPd41U

1. Tim Roberts 1

Re: Apple fanbois will buy anything with an Apple logo on it

people - sheeple

Geeze louise, what a bunch of idiots

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

There are some Android 'fandroids' who seem to worship everythng that Samsung releases without question.

There are some fans of Baseball/American thingy/Baskeball/Ice hockey that will slavishly buy all the crap memorabilia put out by their favorite teams.

There are some people who would not be seen dead driving a Ford and think GM is the bees-knees.

etc

etc

etc

What is the difference?

Please explain the behaviour of the above groupd and how it differs from that of Fanbois?

I am sure there is a PHD thesis lurking in there somewhere...

sure, I use a Macbook Pro but I am just about a far removed from a hipster as you can get.

I have used android phones and have been using Linux since 1995

Please don't tar everyone who uses something from a company you don't like with the same brush.

Yours,

Grumpy old man who drives very uncool cars.

PS

I won't be buying a smart watch no matter who makes it. I haven't worn a watch since the Omega my Father gave me for graduating simply stopped working after a week. It worked on everyone else but me. That was getting on for 40 years ago.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That just sums up America though

6. The Vociferous Time Waster

Pebble

Let's see it side by side with a pebble before we get too excited.

7. John Tserkezis

I'm going to reserve my judgement till we see the length of the lines outside Apple stores for this.

Because everyone knows *that* is the true measure of poopularity. Yes, I spelt that right.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like