back to article Star Trek XI logged for Xmas 2008 launch

Paramount Pictures has confirmed the next Star Trek movie will be released on Christmas Day 2008. J J Abrams (producer/director of Mission Impossible: III and creator of TV's Lost) will helm the Star Trek XI film, which will see the classic series Enterprise crew of Kirk, Spock and McCoy played by a new generation of actors. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jon Fitt

Impressions?

So will the actors try to form their own interpretations of the roles or are we going to see impressions or the original actors?

What would annoy the Trekkies least?

2. William Donelson

You've got to be kidding!

You said "We'd suggest Damon's writing partner on Good Will Hunting, Ben Affleck"

You're kidding! Ben Affleck has been called "the black hole of acting" because he's so bad, he Sucks In any good performances around him.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ben Afflek for Kirk?

I'm sorry guys, but if you're going to be making comments on the thoughts of who might be cast in the roles of main characters in the newly announced Star Trek movie, at least put a bit of thought into it.

I'm not sure how Matt Damon would work filling the the shoes of William Shatner as Kirk.......Kirk in the original series had certain boyish looks too remember, which Matt Damon might be suited to, but seriously Ben Afflek??????

I think that someone should go into rehab for that comment.

4. Dillon Pyron

Firefly

Nathan Fillion as Kirk sounds like the best choice. He's familiar to the SF crowd and has that devil may care look.

5. FerretOfDoom

Affleck?? *cough*

Casting Ben Affleck as Kirk? Why not cast Grace Jones as Uhura and Mike Myers (using Shrek's voice, of course) as Scotty?

Seriously...Ben ruined the What-could-have-been-a-good-film-except-for-Ben-Affleck movie Pearl Harbor with his less-than-one-dimension acting. What makes anyone think he could play Kirk?

Take the guy who played Pirk in Star Wreck:In The Pirkinning (http://www.starwreck.com), Teach him english, then cast him. Anything's better than Ben.

6. Garry Perez

The real Kirk is....

Tim Allen aka Capt Jason Nesmith aka the best Kirk we never had

7. Martin Owens

If the BBC can do it!

Hey if the BBC can do it with Doctor Who and bring a classic SF seiries from the grave then bringing back Star Trek should be too hard right?

I wonder if they're going to have some kind of transformational energy beam thingy ba bob that changes their looks like Doctor Who.

What in the world is there left to do with the Star Trek universe? surly it's only role now is for futurama gags.

8. Darren Brown

J J Abrams ?

J J Abrams directing? Why?

He's a TV director and has only directed one film MI:3 ... and that was rubbish.

His only major achievements so far are Alias (which turned into nonsense) and Lost (which is quickly going the same way).

But, he seems to be flavor (sic) of the month in Hollywood ...

9. Joel

Ugh?

So again, another classic story and character-set gets stolen to make a few measly dollars and a god awful film. This could be the worst possible Trek film to date.

Casting Matt Damon is probably the most disgusting thing i've ever heard. Sure he's an ok actor, he does good action and was great in Good Will Hunting, but as Kirk? The eccentric, seductive, masterful starship captain? Pfft. It's insulting.

They're going to ruin something that William Shatner worked so hard to create.

Either way, First Contact is and will always be the best Star Trek film ever made. Nothing will ever match it.

Meh, I honestly can't be bothered to go on... how many times to people want to screw Star Trek over?

10. EAMANE

Why are we still trying Star Trek again!!!

Why is any one trying to make another remake of Star Trek? Isn't it enough with the series, then the take offs, then the movies, and now this. Lets face it its time to bury it.

I must agree though if the show has any chances of a come back is surely isn't by using Ben. The only one that could bring it back in my opinion is to put Nathan in that spot. Lets face he has the looks, the attitude, and the walk to carry it off. Maybe some one should ask William Shattner?

But honestly if any is brought back it should be FireFly, or another Serenity movie. There is plenty of the verse left to make it a trilogy. The fan base for Serenity is as high if not higher than Star Trek.

Lets face it,if Sci-Fi or Fox channels aren't running it is time to lay it to rest. I will not deny it did pave the way for Sci-Fi entertainment on television.

BUT THAT IS JUST MY OPINION.

This topic is closed for new posts.