back to article Gamma's not a goner! UK ISP sorts out major outage

British ISP Gamma Partners is blaming BT for a 13-hour break in its data and communications services but says the problem has now been fixed. We have now restored service to all our users. Root cause investigations continue and a further update will be issued tomorrrow — Gamma Support (@GammaSvcSupport) August 28, 2014 The …

1. Truth4u

When I am King

I will give every citizen a free fibre and install it from their house to anywhere else in the UK they want, for free.

There will be a 6 month period for you to make your requests, then I will work out whose routes can be dug at the same time to save money.

1. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

In that case you can be King

But only if you force senior managers in all large companies to work alongside their minions in the trenches. No more damned donkeys leading from HQ; please!

2. Christian Berger

Re: When I am King

I wonder how much cheaper that would be than what we currently pay for cables in the ground.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I support your pretensions to the crown, if only to see a good set of beheadings rather than support your bizarre network development.

1. Steven Raith

If you want to see beheadings, vote for me (or at least, don't get in the way of my glorious peoples coup).

I'll arrange for everyone who annoys me to be 'reconciled' Given how many people annoy me, that'll probably be a solid 80% of the population.

The Running Man, 24/7, on 50 channels. for 50 years.

Let the games begin!

3. Gideon 1

Not Gamma

We're on BT business broadband and got taken offline by the fault, so either it was BTs fault or BT route their broadband over Gammas network.

1. James 100

Re: Not Gamma

Another ISP had downtime this week - their primary BT link failed, then instead of fixing it BT somehow cut the backup link by mistake. On the backbone, they use multiple bonded 10G links (up to 32 of them?) so a lot of those links will be serving multiple ISPs at once, including their own retail arm.

I wonder if someone at BT deleted the wrong thing? Redundant hardware only takes you so far - even with the most resilient system there is, tell the system "route all traffic for address range X to the bitbucket" and everyone at X is stuffed. Like the Royal Bank of Scotland fiasco, when their very reliable and secure mainframe was mistakenly told "delete all transactions" - so it reliably and securely deleted all transactions, leaving a reliable and secure disaster while they figured out how to reverse it.

1. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

The must have hired the rent man that took out my electric meter the snow on the ground winter about 5 years ago. Put in one that didn't connect my storage heaters.

I wondered where he got to. Judging by the long line of refits that followed he might have taken his gang with him.

2. phuzz Silver badge
      Facepalm

Some ISP called COnnexus that one of our customers used was down as well.

We found it quite amusing as they're just migrating *to* Connexus, against our advice.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like