back to article Google's 'Captain Moonshot': I will BOMB you with DELIVERIES

Google has unveiled a new programme to build autonomous delivery drones that are capable of carrying items into remote areas. Project Wing Google's Project Wing The company said that its Project Wing craft will provide unmanned craft which could bring light deliveries to people in areas where automobile or large-scale …

1. Mark 85

Seriously...

The guy in charge is named "Astro"? Was he named after the Jetson's dog by per chance?

1. Thorne

Re: Seriously...

Well he's a boy so could be after Astroboy?

2. Bill Posters
    Coat

Sorry...

Sounds like a load of bulldust to me...

1. Thorne

Re: Sorry...

I don't think so. In cities I suspect the drones will be land based but in rural areas, I can see routes established not over houses to deliver goods.

At least you'd have a better chance of receiving your good than relying on a courier (as they are a lazy useless pack of thieving bastards)

This is long term but twenty years from now I suspect it will be common.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Also, from the video it looks like a polystyrene type construction. Very light, and rather bouncy should it make an emergency/forced landing.

2. ian 22

Bulldust? Don't you mean "drone droppings"?

3. DerekCurrie
    FAIL

Prizes From Heaven!

What weapon will YOU use to shoot down a drone and win a prize?

1. Ole Juul

Re: Prizes From Heaven!

If you shoot it down your booty may land in a tree, or get broken when it hits the ground. A much better idea is to launch a purpose built Pirate Drone.

1. Dr Scrum Master

Be careful, you only live twice. So watch out for the chap in Little Nellie.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not really a fail. People can already try to steal off couriers. Around here many leave their van/cart at the top of the road while they deliver a few along the street.

Is it worth it for a £15-£25 phone cable or USB thumb drive... or a can of dog food?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

Google Copying Amazon?

But using a VTOL aircraft and not a quad copter... interesting! :D

(Icon for what happens when it goes wrong with your order of plutonium...)

5. RyokuMas
    Black Helicopters

And what other sensors will these drones have built in? Wifi slurping for any area they pass over? GPS-positioning and image capture of anyone with a Google-powered device in their pocket?

Call me a tinfoil hatter if you like, but... no thanks.

1. VinceH

You're a tinfoil hatter. :p

More seriously, if those concerns are valid (not that Google has any form, of course... ahem) then it doesn't make a single jot of difference if you say "no thanks" - the problem is other people saying "yes please".

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Elmer Phud

Expectation

I guess one of these things will be delivering my personal jet-pack or autogyro or atomic domestic cooker.

8. xyz Silver badge

Lob your stuff at you from a great height

....isn't that what existing delivery drivers do? Also I'd love to see the returns process. And I can see a great market in drone scrappage after they accidentally "fall" out of the sky. Or people hanging onto the cable to see if they can drone surf....c'mon, you know you want to.

1. DropBear

Re: Lob your stuff at you from a great height

Or people hanging onto the cable to see if they can drone surf

How sure are you there isn't (won't be) some sort of safety decoupler link attaching the cable to the drone (less than the drone's max. lifting capacity) that just cuts the cable if it starts feeling like an anchor...?

1. xyz Silver badge

Re: Lob your stuff at you from a great height

lol...well if you can't drone surf (although it will be tried, or people will tie cats to the string), you can gently drag the thing down and into the maw of an Albanian* scrap collector's van. *Other eastern europeans are available. Texans will probably think they are angels though

9. Alan Edwards

Ryan VertiJet

The design reminds me of the experimental Ryan VertiJet from the 50s, although being prop-driven it's more like a Convair Pogo.

The VertiJet was weird. You "land" it by going vertical and hanging it off a hook suspended on a trailer, and had vectored thrust and puffer jets instead of moving control surfaces.

That poor dog is going to go hungry, it only delivered one dog treat.

10. Denarius

not sure about the load

if this is to be used for country deliveries, then it should be simple to find 20 meters of "runway" Vertical take off or hovering use immense energy compared to winged powered flight, even with STOL operations. Probably not enough onboard smarts for that to be autonomous though. Apart from that, still looks like a solution looking for a problem. Maybe delivering urgent prescription medications might fit bill, but that is not a business case. Be fun to see drones as it looks like a neat toy for RC.

1. FlatEarther

Re: not sure about the load

Yes, typical outback delivery

- 4 x 44 gallon drums of diesel

- 6 x Slabs Fosters Stubbies

- Several bales fencing wire

- Replacement transmission for tractor

- Assorted Groceries

- Bills (no rush)

- Medical supplies

Not much there that'll fit the lifting power of the drone.

1. Tim Bates

Re: not sure about the load

The diesel is normally delivered by a tanker truck, not in drums.

and

No one buys Fosters in Australia.

11. Gazareth

I'm off to buy a butterfly net

Free stuff!

12. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Another step towards world domination?

Wings over the world?

13. json

Pretty cool!

.. I wonder when this will be available in hobbyking?

14. Scroticus Canis
    Happy

Useful for the inmates

Special delivery from Google's Oregon depot to Cell Block B, State Penitentiary 1. Couple of lids should be within it's load range.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like