back to article Like condoms, data now comes in big and HUGE sizes

If condoms were made in a range of different sizes, the old joke goes, the options would be “huge”, “gigantic” and “enormous”. We mention the joke in reference to The Linux Foundation's decision to create a new conference, called “Vault”, to “... bring together the world’s leading developers in filesystems and storage in the …

1. Hans 1
    Joke

> If condoms were made in a range of different sizes, the old joke goes, the options would be “huge”, “gigantic” and “enormous”.

Are they not in the UK, then ? Ahh, I see, same size fits all ...

2. Hans 1
    Linux

FreeBSD & Solaris are the storage kings

FreeBSD and Solaris are the storage kings, with no one else in their league. LVM ? LOL, as for Microsoft, they are not even in the same league as Linux ... when it comes to storage, they are 20 years late.

1. Truth4u

Re: FreeBSD & Solaris are the storage kings

NTFS is great if you want a slow way to store your files and send them slowly over the network but most NAS boxes and certainly any decent one uses a *nix FS with the Windows SMB stack pasted over the top so you get a real file system and permissions on Windows systems. Too bad Microsoft doesn't replace NTFS with the same thing on the host system.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: FreeBSD & Solaris are the storage kings

FreeBSD and Solaris are the storage kings, with no one else in their league.

[Citation needed]

3. Phil W
    Joke

Pushing the simile (to breaking point)

Does encrypted data count as "extra protection"?

Does data with sensitive content removed correlate to "latex free"?

Does information such as a husband's credit card information correlate to "for her pleasure"?

1. phil dude
      Coat

Re: Pushing the simile (to breaking point)

M$ word is latex free, and just as risky...

P.

4. WraithCadmus
    Boffin

Prosthetics

True story*, when working in a hospital I discovered that prosthetic bollocks are provided in sizes starting at 'medium'.

I think given the state of a patient in need of such things we can understand avoiding any further damage to their ego and sense of masculinity.

*I recall this being true, but it was a lot of beer ago...

1. mark 63 Silver badge
      Coffee/keyboard

Re: Prosthetics

lol!

Here you are sir, we've matched your size , here your new tiny bollocks

5. Britt Johnston
    Headmaster

not like condoms, like beer

Data is not-countable, and in this lingustic sense more like beer (data is, not data are).

If you insist on counting the stuff, you can put it in packets, as in gigabytes of data or pints of beer.

1. Chemist
      Pint

Re: not like condoms, like beer

"as in gigabytes of data or pints of beer."

Would it be a tad greedy to ask for gigapints of beer ? (I'm not driving)

1. Phil W

Re: not like condoms, like beer

Surely if it's in packets it's more like the peanuts you have to go with your beer?

6. JRW

Protection Level

Is this not a discussion of protection levels and the importance of protection when you've got multiple connections?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon