back to article Oz biz regulator discovers shared servers in EPIC FACEPALM

The Australian Securities and Investment Commission, which in 2013 accidentally blocked innocent Websites in an attempt to disrupt financial fraud, has told a government inquiry it didn't actually know what it was doing. In using what are called “Section 313 notices” under the Act to shut down fraud sites, the financial …

1. Christoph
    Facepalm

Remove head from rectum before issuing non-discretionary orders on technical matters you know nothing about.

1. RealFred

WTF

Why are these clowns deciding what to block and why do they even have the power to do it.. They probably couldn't find the intertubes unless someone showed them where it is. Maybe they should stick to finding corporate criminals. Oh wait, they can't even do that right.

1. BigFire

Re: WTF

Why? Because they can. Look it doesn't have to make sense. To them it's just their exercising of their divine ordained right as bureaucrats. Know your place serfs.

2. Raumkraut

> Why are these clowns deciding what to block and why do they even have the power to do it.

It seems to me that having such a group deciding the what and the why is a necessary requirement to enforce the law. However, what such technically ignorant groups absolutely should not be doing is deciding the how.

1. RealFred

What law are they trying to enforce? Was the site on Australian soil, was it an Australian company? The only thing they were trying to do was to stop access to a site outside Australia. Thats not something in their legal brief.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's all good. I mean, they only likely oversee electronic trading.

2. Tommy Pock

Get used to it. It's the future.

The reason jobs like this are given to people who are so incompetent, is because people who are competent have no interest in doing jobs like this.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Get used to it. It's the future.

The reason jobs like this are given to people who are so incompetent, is because people who are competent have no interest in doing jobs like this.

Oh, I'd be interested in helping them out, but their main problem is that they don't pay very well. It reminds me of my favourite quote from the late Red Adair:

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur"

QED

2. Crazy Operations Guy

Re: Get used to it. It's the future.

I've found that, in government, the people who want the job the most are the last people that should have it...

3. Grikath

Stupidity....

It always finds a way to one-up even the worst worst-case scenario.

Worst thing is... These clowns will simply stay wherever they are, will not get any sanctions against them, and will happily and "innocently" mess things up again..

4. Mark 85

EPIC FACEPALM doesn't even begin to describe this... unf**kingbelievable doesn't either. Isn't this something from IT101?

5. ecofeco Silver badge

Wow. The derp is strong

..and these are the same people who are going to stop sophisticated cyber fraud?

My brain hurts.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wow. The derp is strong

I think John Cleese's explanation works here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G_zSos8w_I

6. Steve Knox
    Trollface

The Solution is Obvious

Look for new rules requiring every site to have a unique IP address soon.

7. Sebastian A

admittedly

99.6% of the internet indeed consists of sites that offer no substantive content.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You've got to give them a little credit

They actually admitted that they'd screwed up, and also how badly.

How many other government agencies/quangos do even that?

1. Long John Brass

Re: You've got to give them a little credit

Or perhaps...

they were found out & had to write a report to central govt explaining what went worng

Obviously junior bureaucrats, they didn't try to pass the buck or blame someone else

They'll do better next time, don't you worry

1. firu toddo
        Trollface

Re: You've got to give them a little credit

That this would come out was inevitable given the inability of Aussie bureaucracy to redact PDF's.

9. Peter Fairbrother 1

Ask? Request?

??

C'mon, el Reg, these are commands, not requests.

10. dan1980

This incident highlights the main problem and it is not technical incompetence, which seems to be the focus of the article and comments.

No, the main problem - and it pervades the entire subject of online monitoring/collection/censorship - is that the people implementing these processes just don't place any importance on potential negative impacts.

To them, the goal they are trying to achieve - or at least are publicly professing - overrides any concerns about inconveniencing people or breaching their privacy.

This particular instance was a lack of technical knowledge on behalf of the people involved in making these demands. One has to ask, however, how it is possible that such actions could be taken without thorough vetting to ensure that the request/demand was correct, accurately targeted and did not affect unintended sites. If such a process was in place and this cock-up happened anyway, again one must ask why the people approving the action did not have the appropriate technical skills.

It's basic due diligence and this is clear evidence (though it has been known all along) that actions that have the potential to impact innocent people and businesses are simply not treated with sufficient care.

This attitude is the same that saw: Oz fed police in PDF redaction SNAFU. You should never be able to blame some junior person for this because any time you are either dealing with either personal information or making decisions that might affect innocent, unintended people, there should be a rigorous and detailed approval process and continued education of staff on how this works.

You can't always stop junior staff making the wrong decisions and f$#king something up and that is okay when its your own house you're breaking. When its other people who you are potentially impacting then you damned well make sure that the people making the decisions are qualified and do it by-the-book.

Oh, but if you don't let every Johnny access data and block websites then . . . terrorists! and drugs! and pædophiles! Why won't someone think of the children?!??!?

1. Anthony 13

It's ASIC ...

... I suspect it is ... fraud! dodgy financial products! and illegal tax avoidance! why won't someone think of the bankers?!??!?

2. James 36

I imagine it went along the lines of

<Oz regulator> block this ip

<ISP> but that will cut off many innocent websites

<Oz regulator> don't you know who I am , do as I say or there will be consequences, think of the children, it is your legal duty to obey etc etc

<ISP> ok but it is your responsibility ...

3. Stretch

"blame some junior person"

I am sure everyone understands that when companies pin the blame on "some junior person", said person was only doing exactly what they had been told.

1. dan1980

Re: "blame some junior person"

@Stretch

Or, conversely, neglecting to do something* they were not told or educated to do in the first place.

* - Like actually, you know, checking things . . .

11. crediblywitless

Same solution applies here as applies to the judges that brought in the 'right to be forgotten'. To find out whether it made sense, all they really needed to do was to ask the people that run their IT for them.

1. arrbee

Of course if the Register applied this solution these comments sections would be a lot shorter.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

There is no need to gaza the whole comment section just to root out a few commentards.

12. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Ignorance of the Law is not an excuse

But government has a right to ignore anything and there's nothing you can do about it.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Legal experts seem to be the most technically inept I have seen, and some are so arrogant they assume if they don't understand something it is because you are inept at communicating and not them.

Hopefully the problem will be solved in about 40 years when current 20-somethings reach positions of power.

14. alwarming

Tunnel vision

Humans fiddling with things they don't fully understand in pursuit of a singular goal and nothing else matters.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Tunnel vision

Be grateful it wasn't uranium cubes.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like