back to article Major cyber attack hits Norwegian oil industry

More than 50 Norwegian oil and energy companies have been hacked by unknown attackers, according to government security authorities. A further 250 firms have been advised by the Norwegian government that they ought to check their networks and systems for evidence of a breach, The Local reports. State-owned Statoil, Norway's …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good reporting

John, your article--although largely a rehash of The Local's--is to be commended for sticking to the known facts and avoiding the temptation to fall into speculation and innuendo. Well done.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

On second thought...

Never mind the hacking news, I found something much better on the Local: http://www.thelocal.no/20140624/british-airways-to-show-norways-slow-tv.

This might finally get me to use the in-flight entertainment thing (and to fly BA).

1. Nigel The Pigeon

Re: On second thought...

The thought of having to use the in-flight seek bar on a 7 hour video to get back to where I left off, every time the PA kicks in or system gets rebooted...

!Forelsket

3. i like crisps
    Trollface

Nazijonas Snickersmymidget (NSM)

That's the closest i've got to pronoucing it, so far....

1. psychonaut

Re: Nazijonas Snickersmymidget (NSM)

well thats very easy for you to say

2. mr.K
      Headmaster

Re: Nazijonas Snickersmymidget (NSM)

Nasjonal is basically national with a proper spelling, and since we don't split our words into bits and pieces sikkerhetsmyndighet is put together of sikkerhet, which is not far off from security, and myndighet. It is from German mundich and...why do I bother, you lot couldn't even pronounce Eyjafjallajökull when the volcano erupted underneath it.

4. Swiss Anton

Better together

Now if I were voting to make my country dependent on nothing more that some mist and North Sea Oil, would this make me think?

1. Windrose

Re: Better together

I'd hope you'd think first, check facts - something El Reg *did not do* - and then decide.

96% of the revenue is tucked away and not used. By law the Greedy Buggers(tm) don't get to use more than 4%. So we avoid the slash-and-burn of "conservatives" with grand ideas of statues and 8-lane motorways.

And that other sort which people think exists, who want to use cash on humans. Don't worry. We have none of those either.

2. Irongut

Re: Better together

Actually the Norwegian Oil & Gas industry is a very good reason to vote for independance. Unlike Westminster they have not mismanaged the industry for the last 10 years and currently have record growth despite much higher taxes. In contrast the UKCS has been mismanaged by successive governments changing the tax regime every five minutes making long term planning impossible. A record low of wells were drilled in the last two years and oil companies are exiting the UK as fast as possible, mostly to concentrate on their Norwegian assets.

5. Pascal Monett Silver badge

This cannot continue

Infrastructure attacks on state resources cannot be tolerated, Internet or not.

It is interesting to witness the rise in frequency of this kind of thing. A DDOS on Twitter, or Netflick, annoying as it may be to the users of those services, is not a national security issue. An attack on critical infrastructure is, and governments have a tendency to not put up with that kind of nonsense.

I am almost hoping that this kind of attack will continue in order for critical infrastructure to get its ducks in a row and get the hell off the Internet. The Internet offers near-anonymity in this kind of attack, that anonymity disappears as soon as you have to dial a specific number to log on. Not to mention that DDOS is just not possible anymore, so that's two birds with one stone.

So go on being nuisances, you stupid script kiddies and botlords. In the end, you'll be doing us all a service by forcing our governments to make things more secure.

6. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Are you talking to me?

Could I just request El Reg journos to add a line indicating vulnerable operating systems and/or software version number on security stories.

1. Suricou Raven

Re: Are you talking to me?

Spear phishing emails?

Brain v1.0.

It's been on v1.0 for a very long time, and the dev isn't responding to requests.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like