back to article Not so Instagram now: Time-shifting Hyperlapse iPhone tool unveiled

Filtered snap app Instagram has unleashed a new tool that will allow users to shoot and post "time lapse" style videos. The company said that its Hyperlapse application would allow mobile users to record extended movies which can then be sped up and shared as fast moving time lapse clips. The app, which operates as a stand- …

1. PleebSmash

the hyperlapse

I wonder how this compares to the technique that Microsoft demonstrated. I didn't see a lot of intentional head/arm movement in the video.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: the hyperlapse

And MS's is just a rip-off of the various gif/video post-production stabilisation techniques that have been around for since 2010 (if not before) - http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/digital-image-stabilization.

But because MS did it all the fanbois cream themselves and declare it innovation (despite it ripping off F/OSS yet again)

1. Andy 73 Silver badge

I think that's a gross misunderstanding of MS's technique - unlike digital image stabilization techniques where you move successive images around to minimise 'shake', MS are generating 3D geometry along the entire path of the movie and using it to back fill missing segments.

So rather than aligning images, they're creating a completely artificial camera path and using images and computed geometry to render that path. I'm not aware of F/OSS doing that, and maybe you need to take that chip off your shoulder?

1. Nick Pettefar

yeah but will it run on my iPhone?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like