back to article Show Mother Russia you love her: Click HERE and AHHH NYET!

Software being offered to patriotic Russians as a way to attack Western governments, especially the US, is actually loaded with malware that attacks supporters' computers, security researchers warn. Hackers have crafted ingenious spam messages that help them deliver the Trojan to those who support the Russian cause and are …

1. Bob Wheeler
    FAIL

Oh, OK that's fine

"We have coded our answer and below you will find the link to our program. Run the application on your computer"

Yeah right, I'm going to trust someone I don't know to download something and run an un-trusted appilication. I wouldn't trust it if it came from my own mother, even after tripple checking valid photo ID, birth cert etc etc.

But thats just me.....

1. Mark 85

Re: Oh, OK that's fine

You seem surprised by this. Consider that social engineering works very well because people can be manipulated. Not all of us but enough to make it worth someone's time and effort. 419 scams ring a bell for starters? They're still going strong even after all these years.

PT Barnum said to the effect that there's a sucker born every minute. But given the way the population is/has exploded over the past several decades.. and idiots tend to breed idiots, and the education systems don't teach things like how not to be a sucker... well, what Barnum said is wrong. More like 10,000 born every minute.

2. ThomH

Re: Oh, OK that's fine

This is your area of expertise though. Would you be confident enough to claim you've never done anything that an expert in some other topic wouldn't consider equivalently dense in the handling of some other area of your life?

2. Mage Silver badge

Tesco

I'm sure loads of people are fooled by the Tesco survey offers.

3. EJ

Heads up to my Russian co-workers here in the States...

Although having discussed their viewpoints on the Ukraine situation, it's probably too late to save them.

4. JCitizen
    Childcatcher

Ukraine should be carefull..

As much as I think I support their cause, one of my buddies has traveled through that country several times, an was treated very badly. I think US citizens should think twice about supporting Ukraine. The only reason to do it is to support the original nuclear treaty, and to contain Putin's ambitions. All other motivations are suspect.

1. Marcus Aurelius
      Mushroom

Re: Ukraine should be carefull..

I'm not convinced Ukraine is a shining beacon of light either. Politics in Ukraine appears to be a very dirty business.

I am of the view that Ukraines troubles stem from the fact that it has an East/West divide in its population, and the election of its leaders follows that divide. The Eastern population saw the "popular uprising" to remove a president who was from their faction as illegal, and personally I agree with them.

Whilst I think that Putin has some very unclean hands in the matter, I do think that Russia has a fair case that supporters of a close association with Russia have been treated unfairly. On the other hand, appropriating territory from the Ukraine is not the answer.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like