back to article Honey, I shrunk the workstation … into a Chromebook

VMware, Google and Nvidia have teamed up with a plan to bring the most demanding desktop apps to relatively piddly Chromebooks. VMware already has relationships with the other two companies mentioned above. The pact with Google sees it offer the BLAST client to pipe apps from Horizon View into Chromebooks. The Nvidia …

1. Paul E

Doubt Architects and Animators are the target audience.

More likely aimed at staff that current use laptops who can be moved to chromebook and VM. Better security and more easily managable for IT departments.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Doubt Architects and Animators are the target audience.

And cheaper. Economically it makes more sense to wear out a screen, keyboard and cheap processor while doing the heavy lifting in a headless box which doesn't need to be made expensively thin and light, rather than have to throw out an expensive CPU and graphics subsystem when the laptop hinges or screen give up.

2. Mad Hacker

Didn't we do this already?

Weren't these called Terminals back in the day? (When the Cloud was called a Mainframe)

Then Think Clients? (When the Cloud was called a Server)

While the technology stack is compelling (192 core GPUs in an under $300 package) I think the industry shut the door on this type of setup a while ago.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: Didn't we do this already?

Yes. Terminals and THIN Clients.

The main difference today is that the user interface looks just like a regular Windows OS instead of a dedicated single application or custom business interface. (a la green screen numbered menus. yes, people still use those)

1. Mad Hacker
        FAIL

Damn: Don't know if my "Think" Clients was a typo or an autocorrect issue but it's too late to edit the post now. :(

2. Rebecca M

While the technology stack is compelling (192 core GPUs in an under $300 package) I think the industry shut the door on this type of setup a while ago.

It's probably a lot more common than you might imagine. Look in call centres, large offices etc and you'll see that kind of set up fairly frequently, often a nice silent machine on the Vesa mount. I've even seen it for programmers where it has additional attractions - programmers generally don't use a lot of processor power except when compiling when they need as much as they can get. A single beefy machine serving a dozen or so users gives them that without costly, overpowered machines sat on every desk running at 1% utilisation.

3. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>I think the industry shut the door on this type of setup a while ago.

No they screen scrapped the 3270 apps and wrapped them with a VB client.

Then they screen scrapped the 3270 apps and wrapped them with a web page

Nothing changed in the setup doing the work

3. Khaptain Silver badge

Google pwns your web, google pwns your apps, Google pwns you

It's becoming harder to love pieces tech world when you learn that Google are behind the scenes.

4. h3

Does it remind anybody else of Sega's "Blast Processing" ?

1. RAMChYLD
      Thumb Up

Exactly! I was going to comment on that myself.

5. stucco

To quote southpark "Citrix did it"

6. phil dude
    Boffin

opengl over X?

Isn't this something that was in X already? opengl over lan...?

Something tells me that this is what Wayland was dodging...

P.

1. ThomH

Re: opengl over X?

It's not just X. From the OpenGL specification (every single version that I checked, including 1.x and 4.x):

The model for interpretation of GL commands is client-server. That is, a program (the client) issues commands, and these commands are interpreted and processed by the GL (the server). The server may or may not operate on the same computer as the client. In this sense, the GL is “network-transparent.”

1. Roger Greenwood

Re: opengl over X?

But the way Google do it makes it accessible to folk without an IT department to set it up for them. There are a lot of small businesses who may find this useful. Just my 2p.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You are so wrong.

Quote: Is this alliance therefore more than a gimmicky piece of vapourware? Probably.

You will eat these words.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We're already using the BLAST protocol on chromebooks, while the current performance is acceptable for general office use I welcome any improvements.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A solution waiting for a question perhaps?

The fundamental (IMHO) weakness in all this is the need to be connected to the VM instance to actually get something done. Not a lot of change from dumb terminals/mainframe and even Citrix/Server setup really.

So what happens when the unbilical (viz network) is not available?

sure you get a much lighter (in kg terms) device to carry with you but you become even more dependent upon an increasingly crowded and slow internet whenever you are away from home base. sure the call centre example works but beyond that?

For the mere mortals amongst us we still have to pay for the Internet by the byte transmitted/recieved. Sure it is a low charge but there is one so we shouldn't forget it.

A Chromebook/VM solution won't be on my shopping list any time soon.

10. roger stillick
    WTF?

my 3270 monitor ran on a HP-1000 mini in 1972,

IMHO= really thought we were through with dumb terminal applications... even at the most pitiful work locations we swapped those IBM toasters for a worn out HP desktop unit running a terminal program, storing the keystrokes if something went wrong...old HP's on the error channels allowed a look backwards into failures for analysis...these small plastic things might work, but i'm pretty sure they are not cost effective...RS.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not quite the death of Windows though ...

Not quite the death of Windows though, as in order to run those apps you still need to be running a compatible OS layer. This may be Wine, but is more likely to be a Windows licence.

In other words (and just as with Android) manufacturers profit from the hardware, Microsoft from from the licence fees and Google from the advertising. Quite the symbiosis.

12. jaffa99

What do I get from a traditional OS? Nothing good.

I bought a chromebook just to see what it was like, after all virtually everything I do on a computer at home is in a browser and chrome is my browser of choice.

The chromebook was 17% of the price of my i7 powered & similarly sized ultrabook PC (perhaps this would be 30% if the chromebook case was made from the same materials). The laptop is noisy, gets hot, lasts about 20% as long on the battery, on top of that the browser and 'surfing' are actually noticeably slower. In fact the only downside is that the chromebook needs an internet connection - but web surfing on my PC does too.

So to recap the chromebook is lighter, much cheaper, silent, faster, last longer, has no real maintenance overhead & whatever chromebook I use all my files are available.

Now I'm starting to test google docs and office online to see whether that's a workable solution, since I don't do much more than edit/modify existing documents I imagine it'll be ok. As these applications develop I expect to see chromebooks displace PC's from basic office tasks particularly in small businesses, the total cost of ownership of Windows PC's in business is just a million miles from what could be achieved using chromebooks.

I hope to see larger 15" chromebooks with higher resolution and better materials (oh yeah - in normal colours please) at about double the price of the current 'toy' chromebooks. I know that's the price of a cheap Windows laptop - but the real benefits come from losing windows and all the baggage that comes with it. You should try it.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A real article by Ryan Smith instead of this garbage one

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8435/nvidia-vmware-preview-vgpu-chromebook-support

As I previously stated Simon:

Quote: Is this alliance therefore more than a gimmicky piece of vapourware? Probably.

You will eat these words.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like