back to article In-flight slab-fondling and mobe-stroking in Australia at last

Australian gadget-owners rejoice, you can now keep your devices switched on from “gate to gate” on Qantas and Virgin Australia flights. Earlier this year, aviation regulator CASA announced it was relaxing the rules that demanded a power-down for mobes and fondleslabs, but that airlines required certification to put the rules …

1. Knoydart
    Black Helicopters

And on the east Island...

It seems the Kiwis were at least a month ahead of our cousins across the ditch, with Air New Zealand allowing us to use our fondleslabs from gate to gate without powering them down for take off and landing.

Black helicopter as I'm sure they are hardened against unfriendly EMC emissions

2. John Tserkezis

"Users will still have to put their kit into airline mode throughout the flight."

Stiff shit, that's what I was doing before, how do think my MP3 "player" worked through their "kiss your arse goodby" speech. Let's face it, if you're in a plane and you hit the ground, your head's proximity to your arse is the least of your concern.

1. Deltics

"if you're in a plane and you hit the ground, your head's proximity to your arse is the least of your concern."

True.

But if you're in a plane that experiences a disturbing but eminently survivable rapid deceleration event during take-off or landing, it would be a real PITA to find yourself severely injured or even killed by a blow to head from a rogue iPhone let slip from the hands of the prick a few rows behind you just for the sake of them not being able to put up with taking off/landing without just one more level of Candy frikkin Crush.

My guess: The Powers That Be have decided that keeping satisfying punters obsession with their fondlables outweighs passenger safety concerns on a simple actuarial basis.

i.e. the chances of anyone actually being hurt (or even killed) as a result of this madness are slim enough that the cost of paying out compensation to victims that are created (or their families) is economically viable.

Which won't alter the suckage for those unfortunate enough to find themselves a statistically acceptable victim.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

VH-OGA

Is it just me? When I see that call-sign printed on the side of the plane, I imagine the radio operator to look like a cave man…

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like