back to article Sony's 'Lizard Squad' battered PlayStation Network staggers to feet

Sony says it has beaten off the latest attack against its PlayStation Network – this time by the hacktivist group that calls itself the lizard Squad" – and insists all of the user information it stores is safe. "The networks were taken offline due to a distributed denial of service attack. We have seen no evidence of any …

1. poopypants

Probably about time

something was done about those annoying pests.

1. i like crisps
      Trollface

Re: Probably about time

I'm in complete agreement with you...i still haven't forgiven SONY for that 'Rootkit' fiasco.

1. Daniel B.

As much as I dislike Sony's acting on both the rootkit fiasco and the OtherOS removal … I dislike MS more on their boneheaded decision to push anti-secondhand DRM on their nextgen console. I actually consider that more of an unforgivable sin.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"I dislike MS more on their boneheaded decision to push anti-secondhand DRM on their nextgen console. I actually consider that more of an unforgivable sin."

You're an idiot to want second hand games locked down. Not putting extra DRM on the Xbox One was one of the best decisions Microsoft have recently made. Second only to supporting MKV, and the biggest variety of codecs I have seen on a media player.

http://bgr.com/2014/08/12/xbox-one-update-mkv-dlna-streaming/

Shame that PS4 users will be crippled by Cinavia in the unlikely event that Sony unlock similar functionality. (The Xbox One BluRay player can be uninstalled....)

1. Daniel B.
            Facepalm

You're an idiot to want second hand games locked down.

You n33d to l34rn to r34d. What "push anti-secondhand DRM on their nextgen console" means es exactly that, the MS boneheaded decision to implement said anti-secondhand DRM. While they did do good on doing a U-turn on that decision, they did so after E3, and after they got curbstomped by Sony. And they had already lost at some exclusives which switched to "timed exclusives" instead of actual exclusives, like Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare.

So even though they backtracked on their stupid DRM decision, they still deserve to fail for even attempting to do that. That's what I meant with the unforgivable sin. The video games market must get the message: pulling such a stunt is a career-ending mistake.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

and the point of the lizard squad is to stop us all playing online games and leaving messages for the pope? what would they have us do instead - play offline games and write emails?

1. corcoran

Go outside and play! It's lovely out!

It's not.

3. Crazy Operations Guy

Why?

Does anyone know why they are doing this? And why they think this will do anything other than put them in jail and/or annoy a bunch a people (who will forget in a month or two anyway)?

Seriously, when was the last time a company got hit with a DDoS attack acquiesced to the attack's demands?

1. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

Re: Why?

Because annoying little turds:

a) can only wank so much before it begins to chafe and

b) lack the skill required to steal anything useful/profitable (which is just as well, eh?)

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Windows

Re: Why?

It could be Hackers for Xtian Values, but then again...

also claimed to have taken down the Vatican City's website

Nah.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fake bomb threat

Wow, a fake bomb threat. Is there no end to their skilz?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like