back to article Not really very live at all from London - It's the Vulture News videocast

Youtube Video Here it is! The debut of inestimable news anchor Regina Eggbert - bringing you the top headlines of this week in a style that only The Reg would approve of, generated by our pioneering inhouse lean-CGI technology. The full story behind Regina's headlines this week can be found here, here, here and here. ® …

1. Barry Rueger

Video... not more video....

Despite the seemingly endless onslaught of such things, I will hardly ever click on video - on news sites, on Facebook or Twitter, or on The Reg.

There are very, very few times when video is the best or more efficient way to get information across - especially technical information, and I will always prefer to read than watch and listen. In my experience the vast majority of "informational" videos can be summed up in one short paragraph with no loss of meaning.

Although I'm sure the video is cute, I didn't watch it. There are, simply, better things to do with my time.

1. PleebSmash

Re: Video... not more video....

This is El Reg Weekend Edition, a noble experiment in journalism history.

1. RegGuy1 Silver badge

Scriptable -- and if it takes its input from news.bbc.co.uk it could replace (and improve on) BBC News 24*.

* ok, I know it's now officially BBC News, but £1bn won't change my mind.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"n my experience the vast majority of "informational" videos can be summed up in one short paragraph with no loss of meaning."

Most BBC science programs fall into that category. They take something that could be explained in 3 minutes on a whiteboard and stretch it into hour long programs usually consisting mostly of the presenter looking thoughtfully into the distance on a mountain top while some portentious music plays or them striding purposefully to or from camera or the we've-run-out-of-ideas favourite - some naff "sciency" graphics the intern knocked up with Maya or Blender when bored with a voiceover takes a minute to say a single sentence.

3. Lars Silver badge
      Happy

What video, it was a spoken text with some pics. I liked it.

4. Graham Marsden
      Thumb Up

@ Barry Rueger - Re: Video... not more video....

Hear hear! Or, rather I'd prefer not to hear (or watch) it.

I can read a damn sight faster than someone can speak and I can zip through the text transcript of an hour long "webinar" (ugh, horrible neologism!) in a time substantially shorter than that hour, thus leaving me time to actually do something useful.

2. Steven Raith

Playmobile

Come on, surely it was obvious? You could use it for reconstructions.....er, I mean, live feeds, too.

Optimus Prime would approve, I'm sure.

Steven R

3. Chris G

Regina

Looks hot...... and a little hard boiled.

Good start though but can, and I expect will, do better.

1. Elmer Phud
      Pint

Re: Regina

Eggs you on?

Could end up like many journo's --poached

1. Anomalous Cowturd
        Pint

@ Elmer re: poached.

Knowing their reputation, I'd think pickled would be more likely...

:o)

2. Knoydart
        Thumb Up

Re: Regina

Loving the eye brow action from Regina

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Was the audio for this recorded in a toilet cubicle while the boss wasn't watching, with a potato?

1. Trainee grumpy old ****
      Trollface

Re: boss wasn't watching, with a potato

Does the presence of a potato make a difference to the boss watching or not watching?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Coat

Re: boss wasn't watching, with a potato

Without an observer, da' Boss, it's all virtual!

Hmmm... if potato and an egg were boiled, then the egg and reg worker, do we still have Friday's Liquid And Potato Salad Lunch if no PHB were to notice?

5. Cipher
    Pint

Good stuff...

...well done.

6. Captain DaFt

Have no idea what this was about

I was totally enthralled by that itty-bitty plush El Reg logo coffee cup!

Someone has some serious sewing skills!

7. chivo243 Silver badge
    Holmes

Could be a hit

if the duration is kept to 2 minutes, and only one per week.

8. Chad H.

I liked her voice. Good work guys.

9. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

VERY well done on the intro and exit logo animation

that, for me, was the best part

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like