back to article Three new charges laid against alleged Silk Road kingpin

Three additional charges have been laid against alleged Silk Road kingpin Ross Ulbricht including narcotics trafficking and identity fraud, according to an indictment filed Thursday. Ulbricht faces life in prison for his alleged running of internet drug den Silk Road through which buyers and sellers sent hard and soft drugs to …

1. Longrod_von_Hugendong
    Angel

I know what he needs to do...

Better Call Saul.

Maybe he already has...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dear Diary,

Here's a full confession of all the crimes I committed.

Yeah, right.

1. Cliff

Re: Dear Diary,

Mein Kampf was written /ahead/ of invading Poland, Pepys doesn't come glowingly from his own 1600's diaries, sometimes people just write things down, y'know.

1. Daniel Johnson

But his journal appears to be written in the past tense, even though he's describing things which are yet to happen. For example, he says "the idea was to create a website", when he hasn't even developed the site yet. Surely he would write "the idea is to create a website".

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

You seem to think highly of Americans grasp of the language - if fact you see those sorts of grammatical errors (if that's what they are) everywhere - there's no telling what he meant to say.

On the other hand, the evidence against him does seem pretty damming regardless of the legal wrangling and his defense which seems to be saying that he's guilty of the offense but since the government broke their own laws to catch him then the charges should be dismissed.

Do the new charges suggest that the government is starting to loose faith in their ability to make the original charges stick?

1. Irony Deficient

grasp of the language

Version 1.0, of Americans grasp? damming? loose faith? (And many here might point to his defense and the offense.) Whether the past tense was appropriate or not would depend upon when that entry had been written; it would be entirely appropriate for a “how I got here” retrospective look.

2. Mark 85

Re: Dear Diary, - Americans grasp of the language

Really? It's just the US that has issues? I'm regularly on a very active website with members from all over. Trust me, it's not just the 'Mericans who have problems using the language. Those from the homeland of the Mother Language seem to have their share of usage and spelling also. I quite agree with the rest of what you say but... that "grasp" thing just seems very harsh.

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Re: Dear Diary, - Americans grasp of the language

Mark 85 - fair comment, but I've employed Americans with college degrees who were simply incapable of writing more than a couple of paragraphs in the same tense in service reports to describe the problems found on site and the remedial actions performed. These were not stupid people at all, the work was complex and detailed - but they couldn't write up an accurate description of the event afterwards.

3. Elmer Phud
    Headmaster

FFS!

"to all corners of the globe."

hmm

1. Cliff

Re: FFS!

Can you not draw a junction or directional change on the surface of a sphere?

2. Irony Deficient

Re: FFS!

Elmer Phud, are you unfamiliar with figurative usage of the word “corner”, such as Any part whatsoever, even the smallest, most distant or secluded, in reference to a planet?

4. John G Imrie

distribution of narcotics by means of the internet,

Does this mean you have to stick the ethernet cable up your nose to receive them.

1. LucreLout

Re: distribution of narcotics by means of the internet,

"Does this mean you have to stick the ethernet cable up your nose to receive them"

Just make sure you give it a wipe first, in case the last user ordered the cheaper suppository product.

5. emmanuel goldstein

AH, THE PARADOX THAT IS THE U.S.A.

Founded with righteous principles of freedom paramount. Now creeping towards totalitarian status and yet still the birthplace of TOR and printed handguns and Silk Road Market. I love it and hate it in equal measures.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like