back to article BBC goes titsup: iPlayer to News websites down – Auntie working to fix it

The BBC's web servers fell over today, taking down its online news and iPlayer services – but it's unclear whether the outage relates to the significant Distributed Denial of Service attack hitting Sony's gaming network right now. Sony's Entertainment Online chief confirmed earlier today that the media giant was suffering a " …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not just iPlayer

As their tweet says, it's not just iPlayer but the whole site. I started getting 500's about 2 hours ago on the News site.

2. IT Hack

Bouncy Bouncy

Shift everything to the cloud...its the only choice. Oh...wait...

Seems the site is bouncing harder than the doormen at the Big Market in Newcastle when confronted with Amazonian Geordie lasses wearing less than owt and brains to boot.

1. James O'Shea

Re: Bouncy Bouncy

Surely Amazonian Geordie lasses wearing less than owt would be _welcome_. (Their brothers, probably not, but...)

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Headmaster

Re: Bouncy Bouncy

Bigg Market

FTFY

Although you're right about the clothes and brains :-)

3. Vic

Is El Reg also under attack?

...From a Distributed Denial of Spelling attack?

It's "allude", rather than "elude". The meaning is a touch different...

Vic.

1. James O'Shea

Re: Is El Reg also under attack?

Nah, that's normal.

4. Mage Silver badge

BBC.com

BBC news text / web content inaccessible outside UK too.

Why should the Websites, Sony PSN and BBC iPlayer be related? Three completely different things.

1. Notas Badoff

Re: BBC.com

Apparently up again to points west.

"Mister Scott, there was no deity involved. It was my cross-circuiting to B that recovered them."

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: BBC.com (DDoS)

I would have thought co-ordinating a response to a DDoS attack on the BBC would be significantly easier to manage/control (i.e. majority of traffic will be from big 4 ISP's and BBC will have a direct relationship with LINX to manage the remainder in a way that limits the impact on the majority of users).

These are the same steps Sony has already taken, but the BBC has the advantage of an in-country audience (at least for the .co.uk content) - I think it is unlikely this was a DDoS and in the event it was a DDoS I would be surprised (amazed?) if it was related to the Sony attack.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iPlayer

Glad I downloaded* Dr Who and the other stuff I wanted earlier this morning then!

*via get_iplayer, of course, none of yer "this recording will self-destruct in 30 days" nonsense!

1. rototype

Re: iPlayer

I have a suspicion the number of people wanting to get the first episode of a new series with a new Doctor might well have contributed to the downtime, whether thisalone could have brought it down or whether specifically targeted for a busy time or just coincidence we may never know.

Personally I was going to until I realised I only have to wait until Friday and it's re-played on Three.

6. Andrew Jones 2

I think you will find the huge number of people outside the UK who have been downloading Doctor Who using the various well known, well publisicised workarounds may have actually been more responsible for the BBC issues.....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You think??

Still trying to figure out how that would take down the entire BBC network; it is just as likely the BBC server farm is run on a pre-payment meter and the boss forgot to load it with 50p coins before going off for the weekend.

2. frank ly

I got mine from a bay run by people with eyepatches and wooden legs. There were thousands of people there at the same time as me.

7. pewpie

What they gonna do next? Blow up t'internet?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Next ...

Anyone found to be using the Internet to read the news will be branded as a suspected terrorist.

8. a53

BBC goes titsup: iPlayer to News websites down

Once they start charging me money to watch it, will I be owed a refund for these events ?

1. billse10

Re: BBC goes titsup: iPlayer to News websites down

absolutely - the same as you get a refund on your TV licence every time they show a repeat.

Oh ..

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like