back to article 'Video on internet may not be entirely truthful': Times headline

This was the week when the infamous and terrifying Blue Screen of Death made its return to Windows systems. Folks who said yes to Microsoft’s 40 updates for Internet Explorer, Windows 7 and Windows 8 Pro were left tearing their hair out when the patches started bricking their machines. People had believed, or at least hoped, …

1. Crisp

Do The Times really expect us to believe that?

That people would just go on the internet and tell lies?

1. Richard Taylor 2

Re: Do The Times really expect us to believe that?

Well the Times is quite happy to print them....

2. Semtex451

Wheres Dabbsy?

3. cortland

Big ship to turn

"Turnarounds are not linear and we have a lot of work ahead of us. This is a big ship to turn and we need to move faster."

Try engines instead of minimum-wage no-choice-at-all oarsmen and a potbellied guy with a kettledrum.

4. William Boyle

This is why

This is why I only run Winows in a virtual machine on my Linux box. I will NEVER submit to installing ANY Microsoft OS on any of my personal gear. At least if an update bricks the VM, I can restore it to the last snapshot and continue on my merry way. Also, NEVER enable auto-updates for ANY system, Windows or other!

1. Fihart

Re: This is why @ William Boyle

Well said, I'm afraid.

Once tried updating XP on line and it took hours and eventually timed out. Adding patches from CD less problematic but (as I recall) main result was XP slowed down and networking had added faffing thanks to changes to whether firewall needed to be on or off for new connections. Oh, USB2 worked after update. That's all.

2. BobChip
      Linux

Re: This is why

Absolutely! I will only ever run anything made by M$ in VirtualBox on a Mint host. Funny thing is, once (Win 7) has been effectively isolated from it's makers it suddenly becomes stable and well behaved.........

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Win 98

The Win 98 guy has not seen a blue screen in years because of all of those viruses that are stabilizing the system so it can continue spewing spam.

6. mark 63 Silver badge

"Sadly, net earnings were down 29 per cent to $985m"

Thats what I hate about business (and economics , and greed in general )

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like