back to article Primetime precrime? Minority Report TV series 'being developed'

Steven Spielberg is reportedly working on a Minority Report TV series. The director of the 2002 sci-fi movie starring diminutive Hollywood actor Tom Cruise is understood to be developing the drama with Godzilla writer Max Borenstein, according to reports on The Wrap and Deadline. Amblin Television is said to be "in the very …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can't wait to miss that

The movie was such a steaming pile of crap I don't hold out much hope for a spin-off series.

1. phil dude
      Coat

Re: Can't wait to miss that

movie wasn't *that* bad.

The ending though was inexcusable.

They should have left Anderton in the mind-suck dungeon...

P.

1. TheProf
        Facepalm

Oh it was awful. Cruise fights of a dozen jet-pack wearing cattle prod wielding coppers. Cruise fights off a bunch of heavies in a car factory while big scary spot welding robots build a car about him which he drives off in at the end of the fight. The murderer tips his hand by not passing off the vital clue as a glitch in the precog system but instead contrives a whole conspiracy to get Cruise off the case.

They put people in SUSPENDED ANIMATION as a PUNISHMENT. (See also Tek Wars and some Stallone movie.) It was worse than I Robot!

Now the short story was effing brilliant.

1. toxicdragon

It wasn't suspended animation in the unconscious I wake up 70 years in the future to discover its a totalitarian hell hole that things ad jingles are music, they are still conscious for a lack of a better term and are forced to relive the crime constantly as a punishment. I admit I don't know what the physiological long term effects of that would be but thats what happened.

2. Frankee Llonnygog

Precrime immiment!

Someone is planning yet another assault on the late Philip K Dick. Take them down - now!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Minority Report TV series 'being developed'

That'll be the news in a few years time then.

4. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Meh

Do we need this?

Frankly, we now have the real life.

5. Alfred 2
    Facepalm

Who is Tom ...

Quote:

"It seems unlikely, though, that Cruise, 52, will star in the show 12 years after playing the part on the big screen. Spielberg is apparently looking for a well-known actor to take on the lead role instead"

I thought Cruise was well known.

My bad.

1. James 51

Re: Who is Tom ...

I think for well-known read someone they can afford. It could be good but given the movie ended with them scrapping the system it would have to be a prequel or hit the reset button. That or it's set after with the precogs looking to right wrongs that haven't happened yet. Touched by a leaping precog?!?!?

2. Horridbloke

The emphasis should be on "actor".

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

He said well known actor, not well known nutcase agent of Xenu.

6. Horridbloke

Already done.

The show is called Person Of Interest and it has been running for several seasons.

1. Smiles
      Joke

Re: Already done.

Woah, so maybe that's the show, but from the future?

I just like, blew my own mind or something. Man.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

which returns to your screens in about a month...

Cannie Wait!

3. Frankee Llonnygog

Yes, but the new show will actually acknowledge ripping off Dick (if you'll pardon the expression)

7. Yugguy

Cancelled after 1 series

Will it be cancelled after 1 series like most other scifi series seem to be, just as you're getting into them?

These things need to concentrate on the SCIFI. NOT relationships between pointless characters that are simply there to make up the demographics.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Cancelled after 1 series

The problem being that the interesting singular premise that can make for a great novel, or hold up for 90 minutes to make an engaging film, just gets recycled over and over and over and over again in a TV series, until after 26 episodes anybody with a brain is bored shitless with it.

1. Cipher

Agree with credas here, many good/books ideas suffer this fate. They make a good start, but don't know when to wrap it up. Person of Interest is a good example, the first season was very good. Then it became a repeating script - our two heroes in a jam, oh, they escaped, repeated ad nauseum...

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Agree with credas here, many good/books ideas suffer this fate."

Case in point. Stephen Kings Under The Dome. Now on series 2 and the story is not only way off course from the story but the main protagonist has found a way out of the dome by jumping off a cliff which teleports him to a childrens playground where it turns out there a military/industrial-complex conspiracy headed by the protagonists estranged father. FFS!

2. Gene Cash Silver badge

One series? If it's on Fox, it'll be canceled after 3 episodes, if it even gets that far.

1. unitron
        Flame

"If it's on Fox, it'll be canceled after 3 episodes..."

But of course if it's on FOX those won't be Episodes 1, 2, and 3 shown in that order

8. Alistair
    Coat

Minotary Report?

News headlines by a greek ox?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Minotary Report?

Hah! Nothing can beat Cello News. Or Naked News.

Actually, no, I don't know whose coat that is.

9. A Known Coward
    Stop

Dick's work explores ideas, it's philosophy which uses the freedom of sci-fi to create impossible scenarios in which he could pose 'what if' questions. The short story Minority Report is intended to provoke questions over the ethics and morality of the scenario. Exactly how are they going to play that out in an on-going series without it wearing thin?

My gut is that we'll get yet another mind numbing police procedural with 'a twist' with one of the protagonists ever so slowly starting to question whether what they are doing is right. Either that or the movie take on the story, which was basically just The Fugitive.

I'm sorry but I can't see how this can end well, much as I dearly want to see some intelligent and thought provoking sci-fi on TV (there's so little of it), I can't see how they can make this work.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

"Either that or the movie take on the story, which was basically just The Fugitive."

Yes, but only in the second half.

Really, the movie should have stopped at the hotel scene. All the rest was superfluous.

10. chuckufarley Silver badge
    Mushroom

DOOM!

DOOM IS UPON US!!

Or at least upon any TV series based on a science fiction short story.

11. Sampler

Nathan Fillion

I'd watch him in anything...anything!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can I just say ..

.. that, irrespective of the actual merits of such a series, "Primetime precrime" was a suitably amusing headline.

That's all :)

13. Dick Emery

Oh goody!

Another Sci-Fi TV show that will last one season before being cancelled.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon