back to article Storage, chip slingers pledge allegiance to Linux, open source

As LinuxCon 2014 kicks off this week in Chicago, the Linux Foundation has announced that it has won new support from across the technology industry, including several hardware companies. The nonprofit organization said on Wednesday that SanDisk, Seagate, and Western Digital have become Linux Foundation members, all three of …

1. RedneckMother

to: Jim Zemlin

Hey there. Please lose the "proactive" BS. I am embarrased for the schmucks (illerates?) that coined that sucky term.

The opposite of "react" is "act".

/soapbox

Yeah, I know - go ahead and vote it down. I'm just in one of those "moods".

1. frank ly
      Happy

Re: to: Jim Zemlin

Upvoted for an amusing parody of redneck illeracy. Oh, wait a minute ....

2. roselan

SanDisk, Seagate, and Western Digital...

Wait, does that mean decent linux drivers for their disks somewhere in foreseeable future???

oh, and http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/08/05/wd_windows_only_diagnostics/

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Adair Silver badge

Any ecosystem...

gains resilience through diversity, i.e. monocultural tendencies are dangerous to long-term survivability.

While superficially attractive, the desire for the OS equivalent of a monoculture is wrong-headed. Windows OS is a real world demonstrator---albeit a pretty crap one---of the dangers of wanting everything to 'just work' by being 'the same'---it simply opens the door to large scale attacks and the rapid propagation of faults generally.

A highly diversified system where there is always an alternative way of getting something done is inconvenient and apparently 'inefficient', but only when taking a short term or localised view.

The old fashioned 'Unix' way of small open source tools doing one thing simply and well, that can be strung together in any number of arbitrary combinations is still one well worth hanging on to.

It allows anyone to sit down and craft the tools they need, if what is on offer commercially or in house isn't quite scratching the itch. And it keeps the ecosystem lively and diverse.

If that applies at the local level it applies just as much, and even more importantly on a global scale. We really don't want to make ourselves even more vulnerable to pwnage than we already are.

There are no panaceas, but I would put up with a fair degree of 'inconvenience' for the sake of a robust diverse application/OS ecosystem that actually inconveniences the state/criminal scum and assorted other ratbags by an order of magnitude.

5. Hargrove

For What it's worth--trying again.

Apologies--the editing period timed out before I finished the recently withdrawn post.

1. The design, size, complexity of systems, and the need for constant patching of security holes and programming defects have created an untenable situation. System configuration management is impossible and proof testing only good until the next patch. We see evidence of the problem in the increasing reports of major failures of security and reliability here in the Reg.

2. Linux is an obvious alternative path. But open source is not a panacea. Some of the security boffins I work with opine that because of multiple sources generating, distributing and patching code, open source software is more vulnerable to hackers. It just hasn't yet been a big enough target to draw their fire.

3. In any case, I believe that if current trends continue the barrier of sunk investment in legacy software is going to become less relevant. If system stability, security, and reliability continue to degrade, at some point the economics will change sufficiently to force a major change.

4. What that change will look like is impossible to predict. To large extent it will depend on whether any the device hardware alternatives for "After CMOS" emerge as practical. Otherwise, at some point, as practical limits of scale and reliability are reached, the cost of business as usual on the software side will become prohibitive. Someone will come up with better operating systems options than any we have today.

1. phil dude
      Linux

Re: For What it's worth--trying again.

1) "configuration management is impossible", I can assure you it is possible - it might not be *pretty*....! The question is what do we do when it is not....?

2) Open source will remain the panacea. Unless closed source becomes a legal binding contract for implied functionality, and includes liability for crappy security, this will never get solved....

3) I agree. Though I am not sure it is as rational as all that...

P.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like