back to article Felony charges? Harsh! Alleged Anon hackers plead guilty to misdemeanours

Four hackers in the US have pleaded guilty to misdemeanours after a judge questioned why prosecutors were attempting to press felony charges. The hackers, alleged to be part of hacktivist collective Anonymous, were allowed to plead guilty over the telephone to the charge of conspiring to intentionally cause damage to a …

1. gotes

Excessive damages

The DoJ claimed that Operation Payback had caused $8.9m worth of damage

No doubt conjured up using the same magic calculator that works out the damage costs for copyright infringement cases.

1. Tom 35

Re: Excessive damages

I think they use it to calculate drug value on the street too.

2. nsld

Re: Excessive damages

I believe they all share the same magic elephant and pull the numbers out of its arse.

You need to go north of the elbow to get the bigger numbers.

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Rules for Prosecutors

1) Always tell the world the MAXIMUM Sentence possible. It makes them look good.

2) Throw the book at the perp. The more charges the better. Then they are more likely to make a deal

3) EVERYONE is guilty of breaking laws, even Felonies. They don't know it, but you do. More barganing power.

There is a downside but they rarely have to face it

-1) Be prepared to face the wrath of the Judge in a case where you press for multiple Felonies when the crime is really nothing more than a mistemanour.

This only happens when the 'perp' refuses a deal and goes to trial.

The cases shown here make sobering reading

http://www.threefeloniesaday.com/Youtoo/tabid/86/Default.aspx

Just the tip of the Iceberg folks.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Rules for Prosecutors

Yes. Just one of the many problems with the adversarial justice system in the US, and the career structure for prosecutors. There are powerful incentives for bad behavior.

3. Joe Drunk

No jailtime or fines necessary

Probation on the condition that they are banned from using the internet for 24 months.

If this were a standard penalty it should deter the vast majority of future anon wannabees.

1. Salts

Re: No jailtime or fines necessary

F*&K That, lock me up! 2 years without internet, that is too harsh.

4. James 51

It upsets the people who bought paid for their elections so go to come down hard on it.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Mark 85

Re: Punishing the wrong people.

I think you're a bit skewed here.... since sys admins do the bidding of their employer with various restraints and system software selection is usually out of the hands of sys admins for the same reasons, perhaps the employers should be called to face the court first. Returning shareholder value to the board and senior execs is always the first priority over system security.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Alistair
      Coat

You've clearly never worked in a large company IT environment.

I'm usually the one running around saying DONT DO EEET!!!!

The business users on the other hand are the ones throwing $$$ at the project, so get more say in how it gets done. Every once in a while I get a win in.

3. Pirate Dave Silver badge
      Pirate

Yeah, great idea, because the Sysadmins are the ones who wrote the buggy OS/services/programs, so they should be the first before the judge. Pure genius.

4. Oninoshiko
      WTF?

Im trying to figure out what exactly you expect to be done about a DDoS (what these miscreants did).

But, I'm sure she was asking for it, wearing such a low cut skirt.

6. jtaylor

Seems like standard procedure

I've been a sysadmin at several companies. I was taught to keep rigorous account of any costs related to an intrusion response. Service downtime can be lost revenue and brand damage. Hours spent to diagnose and clean up become "billable" as business costs. Of course, you track direct costs like new hardware or outside consulting.

If the company chooses to report the crime, law enforcement will be less interested in a $200 attack than a $10000 one or a $2.1M attack. It's not always in the victim's interest to minimize the reported damages. Conversely, the accused doesn't always plead guilty to the maximum charges.

While it's true that sometimes a company will scapegoat a front-line employee (sysadmin, helpdesk staffer, whatever), that's rarely the whole story. If a sysadmin knowingly left a vulnerability, it's more likely that they were unable to get the resources to fix it -- and an experienced person will keep records of this. A business has to manage many risks, and won't always make computer security the highest priority.

Some anonymous fool wrote that "I cant see how they allow so much zero day vulnerable software to be sold. That in itself is a crime." By definition, a zero-day has not been reported with any time to test or patch it. If you don't know how people make products with unsuspected problems, you should try working for a day.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Funny isn't it?

Put on an NSA hat and you get paid instead.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's simple

The U.S. and UK judicial systems are light years behind the digital age and the crims. Japan has the proper approach with mandatory 2 yr. prison sentences for pirates and 10 years minimum prison for facilitators of piracy and hackers, along with stiff fines. Every single hacker should do these minimum prison sentences or more. The naïve and gullible people who view hacking and piracy as insignificant are unfortunately braindead and clueless. Until laws catch up to the digital age very unscrupulous crims will continue to rape and pillage society with almost no punishment - because they can.

1. Anonymous Cowerd

Re: It's simple

I think we can all see who's "braindead and clueless" here...

9. David Roberts
    WTF?

Blame the security guards and staff?

Just to be clear, the proposal is to charge staff if there is any loss?

So if a store suffers shoplifting you charge the counter staff and security guards with the crime?

Bank guards are guilty if there is a robbery?

You are guilty of a crime if your house is broken into?

10. Pascal Monett Silver badge

" authorities point to the costs to businesses in damages "

In a country being run by businesses, it is no surprise that offending them brings the heaviest charges on your head.

11. NomNomNom

"Collins and three other defendants, Anthony Tadros, Thomas Bell and Geoffrey Commander called their pleas in on the misdemeanour offence yesterday."

Did they find out who was in charge?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon