back to article Eat up Martha! Microsoft slings handwriting recog into OneNote on Android

Microsoft has announced improvements to the mobile versions of its OneNote note-taking software, aimed particularly at those who prefer to do their jotting with a pen, rather than a keyboard. Most significant among the updates, the company has released a new version of OneNote for Android tablets that supports handwriting …

1. Fuzz

windows phone

how about a version of onenote for windows phone that doesn't suck? Maybe I'd like to be able to create new notebooks/sections on my phone like you can with the ios version.

2. Natalie Gritpants

The buggers have sketched my house!

Must get the left hand side checked for subsidence.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The buggers have sketched my house!

Didn't know the Pope is reading El Reg!

3. POSitality
    Unhappy

Works on my Note 3

Nice touch is that, when it sees a pen, the stylus is used for drawing and fingers are used for panning :)

Yes I can create and name notebooks and sections but I can't seem to rename the individual pages :(

Edit: easy to do from desktop OneNote, even converts handwritten titles! Only seems to work on Android if you type into the top line, clunky :(

4. Chris G

Thought it would be great

to jot notes on my phone and Galaslab tab3 but using a rubber tipped pen with a 1/4" rounded 'point' is not something I can get used to when what you intended to write is not where you expect it to be, so after hunting around to get the right apps so that I could jot and sketch I have given up and gone back to my usual crappy typing. I have looked but so far not found a fine point electrostatic pen is it something to do with screen sensitivity?

1. Ilsa Loving

Re: Thought it would be great

Those crayon styluses are annoying as hell.

I recommend something from the Adonit Jot line. I have a Pro (http://www.adonit.net/jot/pro/), and it works quite well. Of course, there is still the problem with palm rejection, which can only be solved using more expensive and complicated solutions, such as the BT-based Jot Script. Unfortunately, the Jot Script only works on iOS so Fandroids are out of luck, at least WRT the Jot Script. Maybe another manufacturer makes an android equiv?

2. big_D Silver badge

Re: Thought it would be great

It is more aimed at tablets with real digitizers and pens, not the rubble nippled guff.

I've been using it on a Windows tablet with a WACOM digitizer and pen for over a year and it is great.

5. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Happy

So even Redmond has to pay the Google tax.

Enjoying that not are they?

6. 8Ace

Lasted about 30 seconds before uninstall

Initial screen says "your notes are synced to the cloud" , uninstalled.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Lasted about 30 seconds before uninstall

You use Android from Google and are afraid your data are sent to some remote server? Funny'!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I think (s)he's concerned about storing his files on the "cloud", and therefore be inaccessible at some point.

How do you find that funny?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"your notes are synced to the cloud" does not equal "your notes are stored in the cloud"

and as it's the way that desktop and mobile notes sync up, not to have it would be a bit of a bind.

But also each to their own. If it isn't what someone wants, they shouldn't be taken to task for not using it.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Because Google Android doesn't store anything in thr cloud? OneNote stores a 'copy' of your notes in the cloud - you still have the local copy to work with. OneNote syncs via OneDrive, Google Docs don't store anything on Google servers to sync across devices? I find really funny people blame MS for doing exactly what Google does.

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. RyokuMas
    Facepalm

Headless chicken approach...

Microsoft - either get your own house in order and get your stuff sorted for WinPhone, or commit to full cross-platform.

Don't try to do both at once.

You'll only stuff it up.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like