back to article Apple analyst: fruity firm set to shift 75 million iPhones

Apple is set to flog some 75 million units of the new iPhone 6 by the end of the year, an analyst with a pessimism bypass has claimed. Amit Daryanani of RBC Capital Markets has clearly taken every colour of the Cupertino happy pill, because a leaked briefing sees him suggesting that Apple will break all its records this year …

1. Tom 35

leaked?

So how much apple stock do RBC Capital Markets have?

Pump and dump for the big boys? All legal of course.

1. SuccessCase

Re: leaked?

Probably true. But still likely to be another record launch quarter for Apple.

Is that irony bypass making Jasper feel a bit *peaky* I wonder ?

1. Frankee Llonnygog

Re: leaked?

Reporter reports on rumours and predictions while complaining about hype? Yep, irony bypass fully functional

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sheep of the world, flock to your Apple store

So no specification yet, certainly will have little if anything radical.

And yet people will want to buy it simply because it's the latest Apple product.

Makes you worried for the state of modern civilization.

1. ItsNotMe
      Mushroom

Re: Sheep of the world, flock to your Apple store

"Makes you worried for the state of modern civilization."

Too late for that. What with Farcebook...and the rest of the similar social networking crap..."civilization" is on an irreversible downward spiral.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Sheep of the world, flock to your Apple store

@ItsNotMe, maybe the film 'Idiocracy' wasn't far wrong.

3. Message From A Self-Destructing Turnip

75 million

That's Numberwang!

1. Steven Raith
      Thumb Up

Re: 75 million

I read that as I downed some coffee and nearly choked to death from the snort it produced. El Reg has ruined yet another shirt.

You brilliant twat!

Steven R

2. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

75 million --- new phones that still can't swipe.

Tap-tap-tap, fanbois...

1. SuccessCase

Best practice usually dictates it is best to know what you are talking about before taking the piss Andy.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Eh - are they finally getting the swipe this year? Too bad - it was a good troll for such a long time.

4. dave 93

75 million is 15% of total number of iPhones

There are about 500 million iPhones out there already, so hundreds of millions of users could be looking to replace old models. I had to switch to Android to get a decent size screen, so that alone could the feature that a lot of people have been waiting for...

5. Slap

Got to agree with the "why oh why phone"

I've got to agree with the "why oh why phone" comment as I'm somebody else who's still packing a 4S.

So far it's been fine and has handled iOS 5 6 & 7 with no problems, works well as a hotspot (as long as you don't need LTE speeds) and still does everything I ask of it with considerable alacrity.

I truly believe that we've reached performance peak with smartphones. For the vast majority of people there is little sense in making them faster. What I truly want is a stop to this saleable metrics race - such things processor speed, number of cores, screen resolution above 300 PPI - and concentrate on making the existing performance more battery friendly.

1. NoneSuch Silver badge

Re: Got to agree with the "why oh why phone"

Great article.

"So far it's been fine and has handled iOS 5 6 & 7 with no problems"

Don't say that too loud. They'll have no issues building obsolescence into their OS if they have 60 million phones in their warehouse they want to shift.

6. Breen Whitman

Shipped vs "in users hands"

Apple ship 30% of the worlds mobile phones.

11% of the mobile phones actually owned and in use are an Apple iPhone.

The rest are Android. Well a percent or 2 are "other".

1. SuccessCase

Re: Shipped vs "in users hands"

And yet developers building apps for iOS make on average twice the revenue per app as they do from their apps when placed on the Google Play AppStore and Apple revenues are far higher than any of their competitors. Seems that 11% who want iOS are a far better business proposition than that 80+ percent, most of whom have found one day they have an Android handset (if most are even aware of that).

1. RyokuMas
        Happy

It's simple maths:

Let's assume for a minute, there's a killer app out there for iOS and Android - it's so "must-have" that everyone is going to install it (ie: download ratios cross platform are equal to market shares). On the official stores, it's a paid app.

Now apply the Android average 90% piracy rate - so for every 1 copy of our hypothetical killer app that's paid for on Android, 9 are illegitimately downloaded for free.

80% (market share) * 0.1 (fraction of actual paying customers) = 8% of Android owners are actually paying for said hypothetical must-have app - assuming that it's not so absolutely must-have that people start developing consciences.

Hell, even Windows Phone - currently at 2% worldwide, if memory serves - would be a considerable fraction of this 8%.

Now, I can't really figure other developer factors into this, as I've only recently started working on iOS. But so far, even with the cross-platform capabilities of my chosen toolkit, iOS is proving to have a lot fewer problems than Android.

... too bad that dealing with Apple's administrative processes is proving to be a complete pain in the arse.

2. Frankee Llonnygog

Breen Whitman fabricates 103% of the world's fabricated stats - fact.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Your stats are probably closer to the other way around. Apple has had for several years now right around a 10% share of the overall mobile market (their ever-declining "smartphone market share" is a result of cheap bottom feeder smartphones replacing cheap bottom feeder feature phones in the mobile market, which help Android's smartphone market share but hurt Apple's)

But iPhones have a longer active service life than Androids, and most of Android's biggest growth has been in the last couple years, so the percentage of iPhones in use is a lot higher than 10%. Probably nowhere near 30%, but certain to be closer to 20% than 10%.

I won't even address the 90% piracy rate business. Obviously piracy is an issue on Android, but it is probably a fraction of that. A bigger factor is that an ever-increasing share of Android phones are sold at the low end of the market (those feature phone replacements) and those people aren't likely to spend much on apps. All Apple buyers (at least when they're new, not the people buying the two year old ones the people buying new sell to Gazelle) are buying at the high end of the market, and are more likely to spend more money on apps. And the statistics bear this out - developers make more money from iOS apps than Android apps, despite Android's dominant market share over iOS.

7. Pet Peeve

Bookmarking this article so I can laugh out loud at Jasper, yet again.

8. Michael Thibault

acronymically

Would that be the "YOY-phone", or the "WOW-phone" you've just created?

9. Eric Hood

Given the best Apple have done is to ship 52 million phones in a quarter it may very well be attempted stock manipulation.

Or he is a time traveller telling us to buy now whilst it is cheap.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They aren't saying 75 million phones in a quarter

They're saying 60 million phones in a quarter, with 10 million sold at launch, and presumably the remaining 5 million sold between launch (assumed to be Sept 19th) and September 30th.

That's quite reasonable and actually fairly conservative given that Apple is finally recognizing that the market is demanding larger smartphones. Regardless of whether the final number falls short of, meets or exceeds 60 million for the quarter, it is most likely to be constrained by production rather than demand.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like