back to article Oculus sucked by Zuck? 'I'm over it' – Minecraft supremo Notch

The man behind Minecraft says he is warming to the virtual-reality headsets made by Facebook-owned Oculus – and backing off a threat to never port his world-building game to the Rift hardware. Markus "Notch" Persson tweeted that he was "over" the devouring of Oculus by Mark Zuckerberg's web advertising giant. And about now I …

1. Hasham

Notch

Great programmer, horrible drama queen

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Alert

Word of warning, Notch

Make Minecraft work with the Oculus if you wish, but do NOT make Facebook shit appear in Minecraft !

I would accept viewing my Minecraft world in actual 3D. I will NOT accept fucking "Likes" or any other Facebook crap.

And if you allow Farmville alerts, I will <redacted> you.

1. Valeyard

Re: Word of warning, Notch

you seem to be really angry about the mere possibility of something happening in minecraft..

..minecraft!!

1. Lionel Baden

I all honesty, I would get very upset about facebook trying to get inside PC gaming

Notch was the #1 person in the vendetta against facebook for the occulous purchase.

Anyway what happening with the occulous now ?? oh wait nobody knows .... And people wonder why facebook buying this ruined VR

2. phuzz Silver badge
      Facepalm

I have a Oculus rift DK2. I do not have a facebook account. I can guarantee that there is absolutely no facebookery in the Rift.

I'm not entirely sure how facebook *could* put their oar in to be honest. Unless they only allowed sales through facebook (which is not currently the case).

When I first heard about facebook buying Oculus I was pissed off as well, as I'd just given them money, but there is really nothing to worry about. and if they ever do start inserting floating banner ads or something equally stupid, then vote with your wallet and buy one of the other VR headsets that will undoubtedly be coming out in the next few years.

1. Lionel Baden

I have a Oculus rift DK2. I do not have a facebook account. I can guarantee that there is absolutely no facebookery in the Rift.

Yet !!!

Nobody is worried about the Oculus in its current format, its how Facebook are going to make their money from it. and it sure as hell isn't going to be from the hardware profit margin after acquiring it for the amount they did !

If the testers all reported yes I need a FB account to use it it would be financial suicide. Its when they release it you will find out what they are going to do.

On the other hand there are alot of very clever people who will happily try to break whatever facebook will implement, I for sure will be happy using custom firmware if it is available.

Yes I trust a random stranger on the internet more than I trust facebook.

3. Caff

g+

Yup the only social network that minecraft is allowed associate with is youtube...........

1. Lionel Baden

Re: g+

I wasn't aware that G+ was built into a part of minecraft ?

2. MyffyW Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Re: g+

It makes sense to use YouTube for MineCraft inspiration, HowTo's etc (thank you Stampy et al). Not quite so sure about the value Facebook book brings to it, but I suppose it beats people showing me what they had for dinner.

Also not sure I want to live MineCraft through Oculus goggles - sounds a bit too close to a bad trip to me.

4. b166er

Off topic

In related news, Persson bought Caustic Window from Aphex Twin for $46,300 Aphex Twin new album

5. Stretch

You shouldn't call him "Persson" like that. Its not a surname and its rude.

1. breakfast Silver badge

Is it not a surname? How do Scandinavian names work?

6. DropBear
    Mushroom

Well, he's welcome to start liking (yes, pun intended) the Oculus again - my opinion on the matter hasn't changed, and my interest in the Oculus is still firmly in the hole it fell into following the Facebook purchase: "get off my lawn while I'm nice and friendly with this here chainsaw".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like