back to article US regulators OK sale of IBM's x86 server biz to Lenovo

US regulators have given the thumbs-up to IBM's sale of its x86-based System x server business to China's Lenovo, Big Blue announced on Friday. "The approval of the $2.3 billion sale to Lenovo enables IBM to focus on system and software innovations that bring new kinds of value to IBM clients in areas such as cognitive …

1. aqk
    Alien

Now, IBM can finally perfect its hi-tech stuff

Token-Ring! Much faster than Ethernet!

OS/2! It beats Windows hands down!

The PS2 bus! Get rid of your old motherboard design!

The 2321 Data-cell drive! Holds way more than a disk drive! Can you say "noodle-picker"? Hmm.. Perhaps Lenovo will demand this one be included in the sale...

1. luis river

Re: Now, IBM can finally perfect its hi-tech stuff

If designs IBM were superior For that don't accept them the industry? simply because they were not it, IBM is not well accepted and its best times already passed, the captive market that has (monopoly "per se") with towering prices of the products, differentiates it of the competition.

1. LordWilmore

Well said that man

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"If designs IBM were superior For that don't accept them the industry? simply because they were not it, IBM is not well accepted and its best times already passed, the captive market that has (monopoly "per se") with towering prices of the products, differentiates it of the competition."

- Yes Master Yoda

2. Spoonsinger

Re: The PS2 bus! Get rid of your old motherboard design!

Assuming this was a damning by faint praise post, I think you'll find people actually like the interrupt based PS/2 for the things it was designed for, over polled USB.

2. Hargrove

Not all supercomputers are created equal

The latter concerns were probably unfounded, since China already claims the title of the world's most powerful supercomputer. But some Reg readers may recall that regulators raised similar security issues when Lenovo bought IBM's PC business in 2005.

"I know how to make 4 horses pull a cart - I don't know how to make 1024 chickens do it." --Enrico Clementi.

We've gotten a lot better at harnessing the chickens since this statement was made some years ago. But there is still something to it.

There is much more to high performance computing than assembling massive numbers of microprocessors. This shows up on the LINPACK data on Top500.org Web Site, in terms of the fraction of the theoretical peak performance, Rpeak, that can be extracted to solve the problem (the Rmax.)

For the Japanese RIKEN machine, designed for cutting edge scientific computing, this ratio is 93%. For the Chinese Tiahnu-2, this figure is 62%, comparable to what so-called "commodity clusters," achieve. (Commodity clusters are systems assembled from mass market microprocessors and LAN interconnect technology.)

This is not do denigrate the Chinese accomplishments. Simply to point out that a presumption that they translate into technological superiority or commercial success may be unwarranted. In November 2003, the No. 3 spot on the Top 500 List was held by a commodity cluster built at Virginia Tech--the best of some 23 such home-made supercomputers.

Today, there are two, both assembled by Amazon Web Services, , , an application for which commodity clusters are arguably ideally suited.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Not all supercomputers are created equal

But if you were trying to find which of 1024 cups had chicken feed under it - then 1024 chickens are probably more effective than a single elephant

- Brought to you by the department of pointless analogies

2. Roo
      Windows

Re: Not all supercomputers are created equal

""I know how to make 4 horses pull a cart - I don't know how to make 1024 chickens do it." --Enrico Clementi."

Yesterday's horses are no match for today's mice...

A Cray X1E node peaked at 18 GFLOPs with 34 GBytes/sec in 2005, Intel hit 100 Gbyte/sec with STREAM using a two sockets with 2012 vintage Xeon E5s...

3. luis river

Misfortune decision

I find unhappy the permission given by US regulator that will give as result troubles, difficulties and intrigues in the future, has been allowed that the "vixen" enters in the "henhouse" of the business server IT, harming the domestic makers X86 gravely, that they will have even less margins of economic benefit, asphysiation the business, good play of IBM that eliminated competition, although to cost of the American business.

1. Arctic fox
      Headmaster

@luis river I suggest old chap that if you are going to post........

........ on an English language website you put some effort into learning the language rather than using Google translate.

1. Youngone Silver badge

Re: @luis river I suggest old chap that if you are going to post........

Leave him alone Arctic Fox, he's the new amanfrommars. Best entertainment I've today so far.

1. Fungus Bob
          Pint

Re: @luis river I suggest old chap that if you are going to post........

I thought he just had his first beer....

4. ecofeco Silver badge

Xerox ring any bells?

Wow. IBM is follwing the same path as Xerox and Bell Labs. (and Motorola and RCA and HP and...)

Once mighty leaders of "high tech", now has-been shells of their former selves.

True, both IBM and HP are still the money makers in entire world of IT, but they've gutted their once core businesses. It's now only a matter of time.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Xerox ring any bells?

and maybe DELL, according to this

1. Spoonsinger

Re: and maybe DELL, according to this

Mind Forbes thinks that London is the most influential city on the Earth because of the lack of inertia in the "Global Market's", rather than the fact that it's slightly less 'stabby' than New York.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Xerox ring any bells?

@ecofeco, Well not really - IBM is divesting itself of its (loss-making/breaking-even) commodity x86 business just at the point that the x86 market is going to get very low down and dirty with cloud. IBM still make (money with) Power Unix servers and Mainframe. Apart from that there's a software business and a services business. IBM is also moving into the Cloud business using its Power processors where CPU Architecture doesnt matter and Power:Performance does and presumably anybodys x86 servers when it has to be an intel server...

5. ecofeco Silver badge

Xerox ring any bells?

Wow. IBM is follwing the same path as Xerox and Bell Labs. (and Motorola and RCA and HP and...)

Once mighty leaders of "high tech", now has-been shells of their former selves.

True, both IBM and HP are still the biggest money makers in the entire world of IT, but they've gutted their once core businesses. It's now only a matter of time.

6. MyffyW Silver badge
    Coat

Quote from advert on El Reg

"When System x servers change from IBM to Lenovo, expect exciting changes, and the same peace of mind."

Dear God! It's the peace of mind (or lack thereof) that's put me off xSeries for the last decade.

1. Gwaptiva

Re: Quote from advert on El Reg

for "expect exciting changes", read: mass resource actions

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"When System x servers change from IBM to Lenovo, expect exciting changes, and the same peace of mind."

Peace of mind, you mean like 15%+ failure rates right out of the box!!! Great!!

8. ps2os2

1024 chickens

Now, how many Chicken Mac Nuggets come from 1024 Chickens

9. cortland

And this while

And this while ITAR already has me chary of exchanging technical tips where foreigners can see them on on LinkedIn.

http://www.exportrules.com/itar/exporting-technical-data.html

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like