back to article Seven Apple Store staff cuffed in alleged $500k stolen iPhone scam bust

Seven Apple store employees, and a worker at Best Buy, have been arrested and charged in Florida for allegedly selling stolen iPhones. The seven Cook & Co staffers worked at the Apple Store in Fort Lauderdale, and are accused of working with phone thieves to exchange 600 stolen mobes for legitimate handsets. Police estimate …

1. LarsG

Using their initiative....

Not something you'd hear headlining about Android phones, no resale value.

1. Mystic Megabyte
      Linux

@Lars G

A pal just bought a second hand iphone for £100, saying lamely "because they were £300 new". It was three years old.

The truth is that the phone is obsolete, a brand new £100 Android does more and has a bigger screen.

I don't care if my Moto G has no re-sale value because was not expensive to start with. I'll just go and spend another £100 in a couple of years time and give the old one away.

2. Ho Ho Hipster

Doh!

The high resale 'value' on iPhones is because you pay several times over their actual value upon initial purchase!

Do you look out for snake oil bargains, too, by any chance?

3. Captain Scarlet
      Unhappy

More resale value than what it looks like I'll get for my Q10 once my contract comes up for renewal!

4. samlebon2306

"Not something you'd hear headlining about Android phones, no resale value"

IPhones are overpriced, to begin with. And, when they are resold, people think they made a good deal, when they could've bought a brand new Android or Windows Phone, with better features and warranty. It's just the herd mentality that's leading people to think that an IPhone is better.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Math?

75*600 = 45000 not 500,000 so the 500k refers to the profits of the folks running the scam, right? Implying that they are selling the phones for about $830 each? If they can get this much for a stolen phone then wouldn't it have made more sense to simply buy new phones and resell them?

4. JaitcH
    Happy

Is this strategy part of ...

Apples training courses on improving sales techniques taught at Apple University?

Almost in line with Job's 'morals' in his teens and twenties when he sold Blue Boxes to steal from telephone companies.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Caught Red Handed...

Honest gov i was jusy holding it for him, i didnt know it was stolen....

...... You know whats coming.. BUT Your holding it wrong...!

6. Ross K Silver badge
    Facepalm

Pure Genius

Obvious question is obvious, but did these Apple 'Geniuses' not realise that

- an abnormally high rate of returns in one particular store would be noticed and investigated?

- the phones would be detected as blacklisted or stolen once they went to the service centre?

7. b166er
    1. b166er

Hmmm, posted this 4 days ago, about half an hour after the article appeared and it took three days to get this comment on.

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. Unicornpiss
    Flame

Diamond-encrusted jockstrap

Too bad Apple's high resale value isn't related in any way to usability or enhanced functionality of the units compared with the Android ecosystem. Security? Maybe. And I can say this as someone tasked with administrating ~500 of these little beauties, in addition to other roles. I'd also say that Samsung's latest s5 is probably a hotter commodity on both legitimate and black markets than any Apple phone right now.

And yes, I do have some bias, I am much more of an Android fan, which has only increased over time as I've dealt with more and more i-Stuff.

10. Tom 35

creative math

"The seven Cook & Co staffers worked at the Apple Store in Fort Lauderdale, and are accused of working with phone thieves to exchange 600 stolen mobes for legitimate handsets. Police estimate the alleged scam netted the gang's leaders more than US$500,000."

So 500,000 for 600 phones... or $833 each?

Or is this the "for every one we found we guess there are 20 more" type math?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like