back to article Merger-hungry Comcast and Time Warner withdraw from FCC commissioner's dinner event

Executives from Comcast and Time Warner Cable are stepping back from plans to fund a gala dinner for Mignon Clyburn, a member of the US Federal Communications Commission(FCC). The two firms had been among the companies set to sponsor a Kaitz Foundation Fundraising Dinner event honoring commsissioner Clyburn. The foundation, …

1. Cipher

A shame...

Probably inevitable, but this merger is a mistake. More choice of broadband is needed, not MegaISP being the only choice for large regions...

2. chams

tens of thousands?

"members of Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW) noted that the companies spending tens of thousands of dollars on an event honoring Clyburn might be a bit of a conflict of interest."

$110,000 I'd phrase more accurately as "over hundred thousand dollars" not tens of thousands.

3. Tony S

Whaaaat?

Funny; came across this video about Comcast this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uoWzMOp8fQ

Almost everything in the video screams "typical large corporation, shitty customer service". I can't believe that any merger would do anything to fix the underlying problems.

4. Dan Paul

Anti-Merger of Comcast and Time Warner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any Comcast and Time Warner merger will result in a monopoly position, further reducing scant competition and exacerbate already poor customer service, underprovisioning of bandwidth and general crap product.

There is no compelling reason to allow this merger to happen besides the rampant bribery of the FCC most likely in various future employment opportunities, if not outright cash.

We need the penalties changed for corporate influence of a public entity.

Minimum 20 years without parole and forfeiture of an entire years gross revenue would be a good start, followed by a ten year ban on former FCC employees being hired away by those that the FCC regulates.

5. Youngone Silver badge

Misunderstanding?

"To avoid any further misunderstanding, we are re-directing our giving from the Kaitz dinner to the Foundation’s unrestricted funds which largely supports their programs."

I'm pretty sure I didn't misunderstand at all. An attempt to bribe an FCC commissioner has been made public, and the corporation involved has had to back off.

Not much to misunderstand there really.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like